ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hummer question

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

bashore4
Banned User
And1: 0

OT: Hummer question 

Post#1 » by bashore4 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:43 am

Hello, my wife and I were debating about getting a hummer h3. are they reliable? any experiences or horror stories you might have would be a great help. you guys give the best advice, so i am asking you all first verses my own family lol. go knicks!!!!
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Re: OT: Hummer question 

Post#2 » by StutterStep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:47 am

I thought this was a thread about the Monica special...
bashore4
Banned User

Post#3 » by bashore4 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:50 am

you are a genius mr. stutterstep.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#4 » by StutterStep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:50 am

shhh...don't tell anyone
bashore4
Banned User

Post#5 » by bashore4 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:54 am

i wont tell anyone because they all will laugh at you. we dont want that now do we lol.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#6 » by StutterStep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:08 am

bashore4 wrote:Hello, my wife and I were debating about getting a hummer h3. are they reliable? any experiences or horror stories you might have would be a great help. you guys give the best advice, so i am asking you all first verses my own family lol. go knicks!!!!

Versus laughing at you? :lol:
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#7 » by kane2021 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:10 am

I would pass on that. Get a Tahoe. The Hummer has gone from military truck, to big street monster, to smaller street monster, to compact monster. I messed with a H2 once. I just could not justify the price tag. And when it was time to do the brakes (thats often on the heavy GM's) the cost was unreal. The interior design is nice. But I think there are better options at this point.

I got a Tahoe now and love it. I dont see myself owning another type of full size. Next Will be a Yukon Denali. Those trucks are common. The parts are every where, cheap, and they are easy to work on. We are talking basic maintenance. They are as reliable a vehicle as I have ever seen. On the Tahoe the interior is kind of basic. If you have Hummer money to spend look into the Denali. Those are beautiful inside and out.

Chevy trucks are hard to kill. You see them all over because they dont die. I looked into the expedition. But those are a bit of a gimmic. There weak and cant handle a load. For such a big truck, with all that seating and towing capacity there transmissions and suspensions fail often.

Brakes. Brakes. Brakes. Then gas 3 times. But its still better then the Hummer in that regard. Get what you like, you know. The Hummer is rare and will give you that WOW factor. But I think a Tahoe or Yukon would be better for the money.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
bashore4
Banned User

Post#8 » by bashore4 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:10 am

you are a scholar. thanks for taking the time and proof reading my work ok. how much do i owe genius?
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#9 » by StutterStep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 am

^why so sensitive? :(
bashore4
Banned User

Post#10 » by bashore4 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:13 am

Kane,

Thanks for the great insight. Actually we are trying to trade in our compact car and get a used hummer h3 year 2006 for 20k. It is pretty nice. I test drove it and it is awesome. I am curious, how much were the breaks and maintenance for you? Thanks again...
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by kane2021 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:27 am

bashore4 wrote:Kane,

Thanks for the great insight. Actually we are trying to trade in our compact car and get a used hummer h3 year 2006 for 20k. It is pretty nice. I test drove it and it is awesome. I am curious, how much were the breaks and maintenance for you? Thanks again...

GM wanted 700 bucks. That was pads, rotors, and a frozen caliper. Parts was 300 at a regular auto part store. But I didnt want to put nothing but GM on it and I didnt really want to do it myself on that. Same with my caddy. Rather have the dealer do it with dealer parts because its a higher end vehicle.

I just did the brakes on my Tahoe. Changed everything but the hoses. 125 in parts and it took me about 45 minutes.

Going from a compact to a big truck? Wow. Gas is major. Worse then my caddy was. But let me tell you man, the feeling of security in a full size suv is unreal. Your looking down on everyone. The truck is sturdy and heavy. And my Tahoe has balls to spare. Steering is a little loose feeling and braking at first is nerve racking. It takes pressure to stop them. Thats why they go through brakes that way.

Like I said get what you like. But at 20k, do yourself a favor, and at least check out the yukon denali. People grip your hand tighter during a hand shake if you role up in one of those. :lol:

bashore4
Banned User

Post#12 » by bashore4 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:38 am

Kane,

I will take your advice and at least test drive a tahoe. we have a dodge durando suv and i love it. I am into the suvs more than wife is. It is my idea actually to trade in the saturn ion. i hate that car.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by kane2021 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:17 am

04 Yukon Denali. 79k 18,995.
Stone dash. LCD in front counsel. Flip down LCD in back. Roof. Nice leather. 3rd row.

Something like this would be nice. This is something I would like to get into later down the line. Its a sexy tank. Will start everyday wont leave you stuck. Has all the options to spoil you. And the add ons you can buy for this are limitless. Everything from tail lights to exhaust systems. There every where and there popularity makes the prices for parts and accessories very manageable.

This truck here at 18,995 would probably resell in a few years for 12-15 depending on the miles and condition when your done with it. They hold there value and the 5.3L or 6.0L this comes with can go 300k with proper maintenance.

Down falls are steering, brakes, intake manifold gasket, and transmission might need major service or overhaul around 150-200k depending on what you use it for. (towing, stop and go, abuse) When you think about it, thats not a lot of downfalls for a vehicle.

Took me 3 months to find my truck. People get these and HOLD on to them. So it might take time to find the right one. Have fun looking and good luck brother.

alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Hummers are for insecure people... 

Post#14 » by alphad0gz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Gives you that "wow" from ignorant people but intelligent people just laugh at you. H3 is just a spruced up Colorado. As the man said, the Tahoe is a better gig for the money. Lol at the image seekers.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#15 » by GuyverADL » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:18 pm

The new Tahoe takes a nice steamy sh*t on that Kane.

SSSSSOOOOOOO Nasty.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#16 » by Pharmcat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:57 pm

PASSSSSS on the hummer, end of story

new caddy srx is where its at
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by kane2021 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:10 pm

GuyverADL wrote:The new Tahoe takes a nice steamy sh*t on that Kane.

SSSSSOOOOOOO Nasty.

Love the new Tahoe. I just dont think you can get one at 20k. In that price range used, I like the Denali.

But I tell you. I love my Tahoe. Right before it a had a DTS you know the deville. I liked it a lot but I didnt get much flexibility out of it. Its a wonderful ride. But between my alpines and grocerys the air ride used to get weak in the back.

I had 20's on it and im in the city where the pot holes double as swimming pools. Having to slow down or go around the pot holes, big rims, and a heavy load just didnt work out for me.

I had 22's on my Tahoe put pulled them for season. Not as rough a ride as I thought. And its felt much tighter with the bigger rims. The H2 was not something I held onto long. Guy I know bought it from me and still has it. And its in need of some service. Not running to good and the brakes are shot.

Tahoe or Yukon is the real deal. Powerful and reliable and much more truck like. Ford Expedition is more like a van to me then a truck. They look nice and the interior is nice as well. Especially the eddie bauer. You just figure such a big whip should be much more serviceable. Long term they cant handle the load.

But I agree the new Tahoe is wicked. One day I get one. I didnt get my Tahoe new so its not that body style. So the Denali would be a upgrade for me. But really I have 0 issues with my truck. I still love it and im the type that gets board of a car and sells it in 6 months. I plan on holding on to this one much longer.

Im going to do the intake, computer, and run a magnaflow cat back next year. Im also thinking about doing the ignition system. Not a msd box but maybe a hypertech coil. Summit performance tune up.

Return to New York Knicks