All-Time Cornerbacks Discussion

NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#21 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:15 am

I found this stat on some idiot bronco site.

Deion Sanders (by his 8th year)
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#22 » by Elway=GOAT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:21 am

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:I found this stat on some idiot bronco site.

Deion Sanders (by his 8th year)
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#23 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:46 am

Elway=GOAT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

http://footballoutsiders.com/index.php?p=5373

Bailey is playing in a harder league, and has been as dominate as anyone ever in terms of shutting players down. I have never seen someone dominate like Bailey did in 05/06. Those two seasons were the best ever from the cornerback positions.

Deion was also much better when he got the ball. A league record with a 25 yard average per int return (10 for champ). Deion was much better stripping the ball 10 ff (8 in his first 8 years) Champ has 3 in 8 years. For a guy who supposedly cant tackle that seems pretty good to me.

As for a harder league you're insane.
Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Irving Fryar, Andre Rison, Sterling Sharpe
Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Boomer Esiason, and your boy Elway.
ALL in their PRIMES.
Elway=GOAT
Analyst

Post#24 » by Elway=GOAT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:45 am

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Deion was also much better when he got the ball. A league record with a 25 yard average per int return (10 for champ). Deion was much better stripping the ball 10 ff (8 in his first 8 years) Champ has 3 in 8 years. For a guy who supposedly cant tackle that seems pretty good to me.

As for a harder league you're insane.
Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Irving Fryar, Andre Rison, Sterling Sharpe
Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Boomer Esiason, and your boy Elway.
ALL in their PRIMES.

I never denied Deion was the better play maker. Because he was, Champ is the more complete corner though.

Also, the league now days is harder. The way the rules are, its so much harder to be a cover corner, than it was in the 80/90's. QB's like Bulger, and Trent Green, who are solid are breaking the records, and by alot of the players me and you(I prosume you grew up in the 80/90's).

The league is more offense oriented. When the league realised the Colts couldnt beat the Pats without helping them out they enforced the rule. Thats why I stick to the claim the last two seasons I have never seen a cornerback as good as Champ. Does That mean he was better than Deion? Not as a whole, and maybe not as an all around player. Deion was a great special teams player, people overrate his offensive effectionness though, but even in that regard he was better than Champ.

But in terms of playing the position. From a coverage standpoint, I have never seen anyone better, or from a running stopping corner. I have never seen anyone with the kind of peak champ has had the last two years. I dont think he has been nearly as effective this year, as he was the previous two seasons. But he is still the best corner in football at the moment.
Elway=GOAT
Analyst

Post#25 » by Elway=GOAT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:48 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:The only problem I have with Champ is, that he is too up and down for my tastes.

Some season's he is by far the best CB, and some season's he gets beat a lot, and doesn't even seem to be the best CB.

I can remember more instances of Champ getting beat, and I haven't seen as many of his games as I did Deion.

I can recall 1 game, where Champ has had a "bad" game the last two years. That was against Philly where Owens, had that long run of 70+. Champ pulled his bad hammy again slipped and watched Owens take off.

Outside of that, he has been as consistant as anyone. If you are refering to the Champ 3 years ago, when he was torched by Porter, and by Chad Johnson on National games than I agree with you. But that was a diffrent Champ than the one now.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#26 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Deion Sanders was better than Champ. Sanders was consistent for quite a long time. Champ hasn't been.

That said, Darrell Green is still better than both. There is no way any other defensive player will ever be as dominant as DG was in his first 15 years.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#27 » by studcrackers » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:54 am

1. lawrence taylor there he's 2 times the player green was. quit being such a damn homer
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#28 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 pm

phrased it wrong. cornerback not defnesive player. You get my point.

DG is the best of all time. Thats not a homer statement. No corner has ever been so great for so long. He never lost his speed or skills with age. When you factor in loyalty and character, he is the greatest ever at his position.

The first ballot HOF vote in helps too.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#29 » by studcrackers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:12 am

and when i hear people questioning whether or not he should be a 1st ballot HoFer it makes me think he wasnt the greatest ever.

id take deion over him easily
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#30 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:33 am

studcrackers wrote:and when i hear people questioning whether or not he should be a 1st ballot HoFer it makes me think he wasnt the greatest ever.

id take deion over him easily

Any rationale person would
Elway=GOAT
Analyst

Post#31 » by Elway=GOAT » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:56 am

Champ Bailey had 2 years, just as if not more productive, than Sanders ever had in his career. You throw in the fact, that it is harder than ever to play corner these days, and that should say alot.

Sanders has had the better overall career, but I have never seen a corner dominate like Champ has, especially with it being post 2004.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#32 » by el loco » Wed Apr 9, 2008 4:26 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Some key names everyone should consider along with accolades. Please don't feel limited by this list, but do utilize unless you are already aware of this information.

Sources:

archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/100/list-complete.html
hickoksports.com
pro-football-reference.com
databasefootball.com

Guys in TSN's Top 100:

Deion Sanders
Rookie: 1989
TSN All-Time Ranking: 37
NFL All-Pro: 7 years
Pro Bowl: 8 years
All-1990s Decade Team

Rod Woodson
Rookie: 1987
TSN All-Time Ranking: 87
NFL All-Pro: 5
Pro Bowl: 11
All-1990's Decade Team

Herb Adderly
Rookie: 1961
TSN All-Time Ranking: 45
Pro Bowl: 5
Hall of Fame
All-1960's Decade Team

Dick Lane
Rookie: 1952
TSN All-Time Ranking: 19
Pro Bowl: 7
Hall of Fame
All-1950's Decade Team

Mike Haynes
Rookie: 1975
TSN All-Time Ranking: 94
NFL All-Pro: 4
Pro Bowl: 9
Hall of Fame
All-1980's Decade Team

Willie Brown
Rookie: 1963
TSN All-Time Ranking: 50
Pro Bowl: 9
Hall of Fame

Lem Barney
Rookie: 1967
TSN All-Time Ranking: 97
NFL All-Pro: 2
Hall of Fame
All-1960 Decade Team

Darrel Green
Rookie: 1983
TSN All-Time Ranking: 81
NFL All-Pro: 3
All-1990's Decade Team

Other notable Hall of Famers:

Roger Wehrli
Rookie: 1969
Hall of Fame

Jimmy Johnson
Rookie: 1961
Pro Bowl: 5
Hall of Fame
All-1970's Decade Team

Recent Players

Champ Bailey
Rookie: 1999
Pro Bowl: 6

Ronde Barber
Rookie: 1997
Pro Bowl: 4

Aeneas Williams
Rookie: 1991
Pro Bowl: 8

Ty Law
Rookie: 1995
Pro Bowl: 4

Sam Madison
Rookie: 1997
Pro Bowl: 3

That's 15, but their are plenty more worthy names, discuss.

I find it shocking that Mel blount isn't one of the 15.

Return to Player Comparisons