ImageImage

Bucks talking 4-year Salmons deal (Update-page 19)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

If Salmons opts out, what do you do if you are Hammond

Resign him for 3 or more years at around 7 million/year
42%
Pay him a hefty raise for a one year deal 10/million maybe
16%
Let him walk, thinking we need to keep fiscal responsibility and 2011 cap room
31%
Let him walk, and find a younger upgrade in the draft
11%

Total votes: 140

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: If Salmons Opts Out (Hammond Update-page 14) 

Post#201 » by LUKE23 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Very awesome. That would lock down our entire starting five before the draft or FA starts.
RamonSessions
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#202 » by RamonSessions » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Woot.
incontrol__
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#203 » by incontrol__ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Just so long as he doesn't give Salmons 8-10 mil a year. 7 is solid. 6 is great. Can't forget where and what Salmons was before he came to the Bucks, as great as he has been.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#204 » by LUKE23 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 pm

I think 3/21 sounds fair, I could live with 3/24.. I definitely wouldn't go into 8 digit per year range.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#205 » by chuckleslove » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 pm

3/21 sounds about right for me. If it took 3/22.5 or 3/24 I'd have to strongly consider it and probably go for it since it is unlikely to get a better player that fits into our system with that money. I definitely wouldn't do the 3/30 deal that they were talking about on the WSSP morning show about a month ago. I had to call in that morning and tell them they were crazy. Good ole Mike Wickett.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#206 » by aboveAverage » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Salmons is extremely important to this new Bucks squad. He is the main reason we have jumped from a .500 team to a 0.600-0.700 team in the second half of the season. I think Hammond understands that if we lose Salmons, we're back to square one. He'll get him a good contract.

Anyone think that Hammond is slowly following the same blueprint in Detroit? Salmons could be our Chauncey, an aging player who peaks in his 30's and doesn't really rely on his athleticism. Now all we need is our Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince. Hopefully Hammond gets that done in the draft.
Dobber-16
Assistant Coach
And1: 439

Post#207 » by Dobber-16 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 pm

I think anything over $5M per is overpaying. The longest the Bucks should sign him is for 3/yrs.

So 3years@$15M is probably what the market is.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: all you guys bitching sound like fixed income grandmas at the grocery store.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#208 » by LUKE23 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Dobber-16 wrote:I think anything over $5M per is overpaying. The longest the Bucks should sign him is for 3/yrs.

That is less than MLE. That is low, I don't know where you're getting your market value from.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,874

Post#209 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Dobber-16 wrote:I think anything over $5M per is overpaying. The longest the Bucks should sign him is for 3/yrs.

Yeah, good luck with that one. Take a look at Ginobili's recent extension with the Spurs as more in the range of what we could be looking at. I'm hoping Salmon's gets a bit less per year however.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,721

Post#210 » by emunney » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:43 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Salmons is extremely important to this new Bucks squad. He is the main reason we have jumped from a .500 team to a 0.600-0.700 team in the second half of the season. I think Hammond understands that if we lose Salmons, we're back to square one. He'll get him a good contract.

Anyone think that Hammond is slowly following the same blueprint in Detroit? Salmons could be our Chauncey, an aging player who peaks in his 30's and doesn't really rely on his athleticism. Now all we need is our Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince. Hopefully Hammond gets that done in the draft.

I don't agree that losing Salmons sets us back to square one. Particularly if you want to pay him 8m a year, I believe you absolutely can replace his production at that price. Most likely, losing Salmons would end up being a lateral move, with some potential for variance in either direction.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#211 » by PedroGrande » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 pm

incontrol__ wrote:Just so long as he doesn't give Salmons 8-10 mil a year. 7 is solid. 6 is great. Can't forget where and what Salmons was before he came to the Bucks, as great as he has been.

Yeah, kind of my point of view as well, with a contract no longer than 3 years.

Kind of OT: In general board you always defend the bucks, and it shows that you actually watch some of our games as well, any particular reason? Jennings beeing from LA is one?
"Hope isn't a plan"
Dobber-16
Assistant Coach
And1: 439

Post#212 » by Dobber-16 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:29 pm

On second though, if a players contract is extended before it expires, doesn't the CBA allows a 10% increase only? His contract is for $5,808,000 next season, add 10% and his starting salary would be $6.388,000. Per Shamsports

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... /bucks.jsp

His cap hold is $9,643,727, so it would make sense that the Bucks would want Salmons to agree on a contract. It would make it easier for the Buck to move forward next season on shaping the roster.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: all you guys bitching sound like fixed income grandmas at the grocery store.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#213 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:34 pm

This is acceptable despite the fact that it will theoretically kill the max cap room in 2011. I would have been against it before, but now that Redd is likely to be a fully insured contract it's almost as good as max cap room. Sure, the Bucks can't go and sign someone outright, but that's not the benefit of cap space anyway. The main benefit is being able to take back a lot of salary in a trade with a team that needs financial relief.

That financial relief is reduced by the fact that Redd will still cost some team several million next year, and reduced further by the fact that he will still count against the luxury tax. But there will be teams looking to trade a productive player for Redd's insured contract. It's like the Bucks get an advance on their cap space because of Redd's injury.

Part of me still can't shake the feeling that this core doesn't have great upside, though. They'll hit a ceiling and will have trouble adding talent. Better hit home-runs with the Bulls' pick and make the most of the Redd asset next year if they want to contend in the next 3-4 years.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,874

Post#214 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:This is acceptable despite the fact that it will theoretically kill the max cap room in 2011. I would have been against it before, but now that Redd is likely to be a fully insured contract it's almost as good as max cap room. Sure, the Bucks can't go and sign someone outright, but that's not the benefit of cap space anyway. The main benefit is being able to take back a lot of salary in a trade with a team that needs financial relief.

That financial relief is reduced by the fact that Redd will still cost some team several million next year, and reduced further by the fact that he will still count against the luxury tax. But there will be teams looking to trade a productive player for Redd's insured contract. It's like the Bucks get an advance on their cap space because of Redd's injury.

Part of me still can't shake the feeling that this core doesn't have great upside, though. They'll hit a ceiling and will have trouble adding talent. Better hit home-runs with the Bulls' pick and make the most of the Redd asset next year if they want to contend in the next 3-4 years.

You're correct about the cap space. I don't think we will be in line to land any free agent worth max money so it's more about just keeping enough flexibility to take advantage of trade opportunities.

I don't agree about the limited ceiling though, Jennings has as much upside as anyone in the NBA. Bogut is playing at an All Star caliber level, and guys like Ilyasova and Moute can still get better. I do agree that hitting a few more draft picks could be a huge boost to the team, but I do like the direction that we're heading.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#215 » by LUKE23 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm pretty sure we'd still have a max cap slot if we got Salmons at 6-7 M per year. It's if you add something like Childress at the MLE that we start having a problem.

Only two players on the team would be over $4M per year in 2011-12 if Salmons was our only FA signing of significance this offseason, Salmons and Bogut.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,497

Post#216 » by old skool » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 am

Salmons will not likely take a salary cut. He will look for something of a raise, or at least the security of added years. The Bucks would be wise to give him a front loaded contract to help them manage cap space in following years - if the price is right. A lot depends on what Salmons does with respect to his opt out. If he does not opt out, he can wait another year to deal with the extension issue.

I suspect that the Bucks would also like to retain Stackhouse if the price is right.

If Salmons opts out, the Bucks would have to big holes to fill replacing he and Stackhouse - both playing the same position.

oLd sKool
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#217 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:14 am

LUKE23 wrote:I'm pretty sure we'd still have a max cap slot if we got Salmons at 6-7 M per year. It's if you add something like Childress at the MLE that we start having a problem.

Probably true. But that would be a skeleton crew next season unless they find some great bargains on one-year deals, with only the MLE and LLE to spend.

I think it would be wiser to utilize the cap space in advance via a Redd trade, because

a) it allows some control over who you're getting as opposed to overpaying for whatever's available on the free agent market
b) it allows you to stay a little over the cap, as opposed to going under the cap in 2011 and having to wait until 2012 to spend the MLE on a needed supporting cast player
c) it allows you to get something for Redd's cap space and use the MLE each of the next two years because the Bucks are allowed to stay over the cap via trades but not if they let Redd and Gadz expire (related to a and b)

Having cap space is all about finding a player that fits. So many teams have been burned badly by using cap space out of a sense of need. If the right player comes along via a Redd trade, the Bucks absolutely have to pull the trigger rather than wait until 2011 in the naive hope that they'll get someone even better.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Post#218 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:16 am

I'm still at a loss for who we acquire with that Redd contract since it is so large and hard to trade from a size perspective, even if insured.

It seems that guys like Iggy, Al Jeff, etc. would be the players that would fit that expiring.

You could also wait until 2011 and gamble on the new CBA and offer a max-deal to a guy like Horford, who would arguably be the best player of the lot to acquire, but you'd have to really overpay to get an offer out there the Hawks could not match.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#219 » by xTitan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:56 am

Hammonds does not seem the type to spend willy nilly like Harris....I wouldn't give Salmons a penny over $6 million and try to keep it to a 2 year deal...he is going to be 31...a bad signing here sets this team back...and they still have no star at the 1,2 or 3 spots.
Scoops
General Manager
And1: 267

Post#220 » by Scoops » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:00 am

Who is Hammonds?
Go Bucks!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks