Adrian Peterson or Reggie Bush

Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#61 » by Elway=GOAT » Sun Mar 2, 2008 6:21 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

To be fair, the run blocking was FAR better in Minnesota.

I Still think Bush as an easier time. Atleast he has a QB and receviers that can keep your D honest. Teams just stack the line against the Vikings, and Peterson was still more productive. But, I think Bush will be around longer.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#62 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Mar 3, 2008 1:13 am

Nah, Peterson was terrific, and he would have played better than Bush has with us, but he definitely didn't have it rougher, our biggest problem is that we really don't use Reggie's strengths well, he runs best behind a full back, and we always have him in single back, and he actually runs better between the tackles than out side.

all of his best runs have come when he follows Karney, and the first guy in the hole is blown up, and then he has to make someone miss in the open field, and his instincts kick in. when our line collapses, and a guy rushes through, Reggie isn't very good at reacting, or breaking a tackle without gaining speed.

I think AP would have done much better when the line collapsed, but our line blew with run protection in the middle, so most plays without a fullback(which Payton loves) are blown up fairly quickly. When Reggie went down, he switched back to how he used to use Deuce a lot, simple I-form, and no trick plays. Hopefully he realizes how much better that is than trick plays.

Hell, they weren't that good in pass protection, our sack count was so low because Brees is about as elusive and heady in the pocket as I have ever seen, and he avoided a lot of sacks.

While I'm on the subject, we never send Reggie downfield on passes, all swing passes.

AP is brilliant, and he was much better than Reggie this year, but the Vikings have phenomenal run blocking, Saints... not so much.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#63 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Mar 3, 2008 8:15 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:our biggest problem is that we really don't use Reggie's strengths well, he runs best behind a full back, and we always have him in single back, and he actually runs better between the tackles than out side.

While I'm on the subject, we never send Reggie downfield on passes, all swing passes.

youve made several great points. but heres a few that youve mentioned above.

and as to why the coach hasnt made the adjustments to these strengths? that is the mystery. taking for example the pass catching point. the dude can catch the rock on the short dink pass. midrange. or flat out bomb! however, just amazing how he is not utilized in the passing game as such.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:00 am

The problem is, Payton got so much credit for brilliant playcalling in 06 when everything was going our way, that when we got stifled in 07, he didn't want to make any types of changes. He's determined to make Reggie beat an entire defense by himself instead of drawing up a good play and letting him spring after the blocks.'

The passing is an utter mystery, he lines up in the slot, but it's usually a quick pass, he's had like 2 downfield plays that I can even think of, the one where he **** on the Bears, and 1 in San fran.

Reggie has a lot of unique talents, but 90% of the time we are wasting them.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#65 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:23 am

NoSkyy wrote:I can't even believe there is a thread on it.

The thread title should be

Adrian Peterson or Jesus?

I would choose AP.

:rofl:

:bowdown:
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#66 » by CBS7 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Bush has no future as a RB, IMO.
He could be a good receiver who carries it 5 times a game.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 pm

He can be a better runner than Brian Westbrook, and he is already a better receiver.

To be honest, base runs haven't been a huge issue, but Reggie hasn't worked on the gimmick plays that Sean Payton loves so much.

He's 5'10, 205 or so, has shown plenty of power at the combine, and especially blocking, and has busted through his share of tackles, but that's not really the issue here. He has a frame to add a bit more weight, and takes great care of his body, and could play at 5'10 210-215, which is plenty enough bulk.

Reggie's major weakness, is that he has to be moving to make something happen, if guys get into the backfield quick, he is done for, he can't break tackles, or power through guys from a stand still, not many guys can but there are a few who can.

Most of the other issues have come from utilizing him fairly poorly, more so in the passing game to be honest. He should be fine if the running gameplan is the same as the last few games, also Jonathan Goodwin was a huge run blocking upgrade over Jeff Faine, he could actually get some push....

If we continue to try and run Reggie on gimmick plays, with no FB(when we have at least a top 2 blocking FB), or trying crazy things, he won't fair well. As I mentioned earlier, all of his best runs have come from between the tackles, where the FB can take out the first defender at the point of attack, and he can make things happen in the open field.

Return to Player Comparisons