Official Team USA Soccer Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

MiamiNative0722
Banned User
And1: 0

Official Team USA Soccer Thread 

Post#1 » by MiamiNative0722 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Just wanted to make a sticky thread regarding specifically everything about team USA

Today USA beat south africa 1-0 from a goal from agudelo in the 85' minute

Things to discuss, roster changes, youth players, coaching etc.
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Re: Official Team USA 

Post#2 » by Batu7 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 pm

USA plays football?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
MiamiNative0722
Banned User

Post#3 » by MiamiNative0722 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:02 am

Shockingly yes
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Post#4 » by Batu7 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:47 am

Are they any good?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#5 » by Lionel Messi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 am

Why the hell would this deserve a sticky?
MiamiNative0722
Banned User

Post#6 » by MiamiNative0722 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 am

Because most people that are on realgm live in the USA?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#7 » by Foye » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:41 am

MiamiNative0722 wrote:Because most people that are on realgm live in the USA?

Yet, I think most people that post on the soccer board are foreign. :wave:
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#8 » by El Turco » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm

PADUA, Italy -- Second-half substitute Alex Morgan moved the United States a step closer to the women's World Cup, scoring a last-gasp goal for a 1-0 victory Saturday against Italy in the first leg of a playoff to determine the final spot in next year's tournament.

Morgan came on in the 85th minute and finished off a counterattack with an angled shot from the edge of the box in the fourth minute of added time.

"We were pushing up and looking for a goal and that's what we did," Morgan said. "Me and Abby [Wambach] stayed up, got a great long ball, flicked it on and I was there to finish it."

Morgan also came off the bench to score a late equalizer in a 1-1 draw with China last month.

"Every goal has been big so far," she said.

:wizard:
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#9 » by edfmx86 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:44 am

stop calling up Robbie Findley
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#10 » by Little Italia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:01 am

Foye wrote:
MiamiNative0722 wrote:Because most people that are on realgm live in the USA?

Yet, I think most people that post on the soccer board are foreign. :wave:

Don't matter! The guys who created Realgm are AMERICAN! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#11 » by BlackMamba » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:58 pm

LOL.

Not a sticky, not for the moment.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#12 » by Foye » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:05 pm

National team threads are pointless anyway. They play only like 10 games a year.
Sandlot
Junior

Post#13 » by Sandlot » Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:26 am

They might not play very many games as a team but the players are still busy. For example, Jonathan Spector scored twice for West Ham in a 4 - 0 upset (to say the least) of Man U. In other news Demerit is probably too old to matter, but he is going to the MLS. I loved what Agudelo did during the South Africa game. We need to be giving the young strikers minutes because Findley and all the others who Bradley have tried are trash. Jozy is the only one I would still play.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#14 » by 5DOM » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Stuart Holden's been amazing this season.
Growths of him, Muamba and Lee have been huge for Bolton
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#15 » by Little Italia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:58 am

5DOM wrote:Stuart Holden's been amazing this season.
Growths of him, Muamba and Lee have been huge for Bolton

Holden has been amazing. I'm really happy for him and for his future with the US.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#16 » by and1GS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 am

Andy Najar and Agudelo look awesome. Agudelo in limited time but IMO Najar is one of the very best in the MLS at age 18. I'm happy we have legitimate options now, might force Altidore to work harder.

Agudelo has played so little but wow he's impressive. He had a great feel for the game, strong passer for the striker position, and he's surprisingly strong.

Holden's emergence has also been huge, I had him pegged for big things the day he made his USMNT debut. Even though he didn't play much early on it was obvious that he was head and shoulders above his peers when it came to technical ability. Maybe he can force that jerkoff Clark to the bench.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Sandlot
Junior

Post#17 » by Sandlot » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:37 am

and1GS wrote:Holden's emergence has also been huge, I had him pegged for big things the day he made his USMNT debut. Even though he didn't play much early on it was obvious that he was head and shoulders above his peers when it came to technical ability. Maybe he can force that jerkoff Clark to the bench.

The only problem is that he's playing center mid and we have a lot of depth at that position. I would rather have him on the wing and push Dempsey up top. I've liked Holden for a long time though and can't wait to see what he's got in store for the future.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#18 » by 5DOM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am

I think Holden should play in center mid. Never seen him play on the wing, and doubt he's as effective there.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#19 » by and1GS » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 am

He used to be a winger, that's his original position. His dribbling skills helped him be effective out there but he's better at CM. And I'd argue that CM is way more of an area of need than wing mid...outside mid is probably our best position with Donovan/Dempsey. Keep in mind that at the next world cup we're gonna have a new crop of forwards so we won't need to force Dempsey up top so early and so often. Agudelo and Davies come to mind.

As for CM our possible starters are Edu, Clark, Holden, and Bradley. IMO Edu should be an unquestioned starter at this point, Clark should be relegated to the bench, and I'd opt for Holden over Bradley because we really have very little creativity in the middle of the pitch.

How about guys like Bedoya, Diskerud, and Robbie Rogers? Rogers is oft overlooked, Bedoya is fast, and Diskerud is little known but he can really handle the ball.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Sandlot
Junior

Post#20 » by Sandlot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Jones is in the mix as a center mid too. I would be ok with Holden over Bradley but I don't think its going to happen. Bradley (coach) has spent a lot of time finding someone to play next to his son, not to replace him. We could run three center mids but someone is still left out. I actually haven't seen a lot of Jones, but I just heard he was supposed to be the answer to our center mid need.
I said we needed wingers for the future. I realize Dempsey and Donovan will be playing in four years. However, we still need some depth there in case of injurys or whatever else might come up. We have a lot of decent center mid players, although I think Holden is better. Clark (who I actually don't like), Torres, Edu, Jones, Bradley, and Feilhaber all play in the center. (I know Feilhaber can play on the wing too) We don't have nearly that much talent on the wing if anything happens to our two stars.
I like Rogers a lot. I hope he gets more call ups. He needs to be more consistent though.

Return to The General Soccer Board