Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak

Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#41 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:43 pm

For those who are saying it's an extra step to get to their team's homepage, I still have success just typing in www.bucks.realgm.com and that takes me right there.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,003

Post#42 » by Gus McCrae » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm

I like the homepage much more it lists league leaders and all that good stuff. Much more professional, it should list team standings also if it doesn't. good work though guys!
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#43 » by mikero » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

The layout looks considerably better.

But to be honest, nobody comes to realgm for the wiretap or stats. The only time that I read realgm articles is during draft time. Otherwise, I just head directly to the forum site.

I would rather see the time/money spent on improving the forums like others have mentioned. Or if you really want to improve the main pages, I would scrap the wiretap (which is either pure exaggeration or news which is posted on the forums hours or days earlier). A weekly fantasy sports column, or draft/college column could work well.
captaincrunk
Banned User

Post#44 » by captaincrunk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah thw layout does look better. Before it looked like it was from the late 90s, now it's looking like 2008.

EDIT: The wiretap is a fantastic way to get 8-10 articles read all at once for the reader who doesn't sit at his computer all day watching NBA twitter feeds. Also, I'd love to see more columns and stuff, the Bobcats haven't had anything since January 08. I know I know, no one cares but me, but it's similar for a lot of other teams too.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#45 » by PRESTIGE » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:44 pm

To be honest I don't even know what the main site looks like. I have a Firefox bookmark widget thing that takes me directly to the forums with one click. That is the only real reason I come here. I have no real need at reading the articles. More stories are broken in the forums themselves than in the wiretap or articles.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#46 » by livintoolive » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Mesa wrote:
Crazyknicks wrote:
Lottery Bound wrote:^^^ Yup... The Realgm Search function is powered by FAIL.

Search function would be good, and even nicer if you can view another poster's posts like you can view your own.

@Admins, please hear the pleas of your own members.

1. :pray: Search function (A must in a forum)

2. View other users posts history (similar to search, but nevertheless also a must in a forum)

3. PM (a traditional feature in a forum, but we live without it, if we could only get #1 and/or #2)

4. Better forums. For example, why don't the user profiles automatically forbid signatures that are too large? I imagine that is a fairly simple issue, and the only thing holding it back would be forum limitations. Am I correct in understanding that instead of better forums, our mods here are forced to police avatars manually? That alone is wildly inefficient.

5. Internal hosting of avatars and signature images. The most common explanation given for the virus bug is that users have avatars and sigs hosted by unsecure locations. Well, if RealGM had a way for us to upload those images, they would be virus scanned by your own servers and not cause any issues or excuses regarding the virus/malware/ad issues. I'm not asking for massive storage, at 75k users with one avatar and one sig of both limited size. That's very manageable content. It doesn't even have to load by the same realgm bandwidth/servers, it could just refer to another realgm hosted server that hosts just the images. That way it wouldn't bog down the main servers while still securing the images of viruses/malware. It would also make loading much faster.

I think the reason for my frustration and the frustration of a few members here is that these are all long term issues that seem to have been patched up and 'fixed'. Even the feedback section has threads on all of these issues but they all seem to be in the 'resolved' stage on the RealGM end while the users are still unhappy. Despite understanding and acknowledging these issues, it seems to us that RealGM is spending its time and money on other things like a homepage redesign. That seems unfair to the knowledgeable user base that make this site so valuable.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#47 » by cooch2584 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Wolfman1420 wrote:I agree with the above posters. The wiretaps are just a sad and inaccurate regurgitation of other beat-writers works. If you insist on keeping them, please put a little effort in keeping them accurate and timely. Otherwise get rid of them. RealGM is a forum based site. There is very little value elsewhere.

In relation to the forums, there are some very real problems that may explain why attendance keeps dropping (yes it’s pretty obvious to most users).

1. There is way too much cronyism on the site. Guys think that just because they have thousands of posts that somehow they are superior. Their statements must be right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. If this primary problem is not resolved, what new fans will be willing to dedicate hundreds of pointless hours to become “relevant”. Maybe get rid of the ranking system to help keep new fans.

2. Keep the sarcastic comments away. Unfortunately, the same “no life” posters keep saying the same BS – thread after thread. Any dissenting comments are just bashed in a sarcastic manner. If a new user fights back be is reprimanded by the admins - no appeal. The "RealGM's" (LOL) are always given the benefit of the doubt. Way to keep new members.

3. The trades section is all about disagreements. In the time I have been surfing this, only about 1 in 100 trades is agreed by more than 90% of the posters. Maybe a mandatory IQ test would help weed out the lower educated portion of the fanbase – especially the cronies that think their **** doesn’t stink. They are ruining this business for you.

Maybe you should consider making the forums private. If you cannot attract any new users, then why bother in the first place. I visit a few different forums each day and RealGM is by far the angriest, most elitist and inaccurate forum of them all. I would think many users just visit for the humor value only.

Now this is a unique way to make friends. Whoda thought?
berserker
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#48 » by berserker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks for the message.

Recommendation - the "trade checker" function doesn't appear on the front page as it used to, however it shows up if you click on forums - you may want to consider adding that back to the homepage....
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 23,795

Post#49 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Search and PM's.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#50 » by darth_federer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Nice layout...

Can you guys put in image re sizing?

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
captaincrunk
Banned User

Post#51 » by captaincrunk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Wolfman1420 wrote:I agree with the above posters. The wiretaps are just a sad and inaccurate regurgitation of other beat-writers works. If you insist on keeping them, please put a little effort in keeping them accurate and timely. Otherwise get rid of them. RealGM is a forum based site. There is very little value elsewhere.

In relation to the forums, there are some very real problems that may explain why attendance keeps dropping (yes it’s pretty obvious to most users).

1. There is way too much cronyism on the site. Guys think that just because they have thousands of posts that somehow they are superior. Their statements must be right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. If this primary problem is not resolved, what new fans will be willing to dedicate hundreds of pointless hours to become “relevant”. Maybe get rid of the ranking system to help keep new fans.

2. Keep the sarcastic comments away. Unfortunately, the same “no life” posters keep saying the same BS – thread after thread. Any dissenting comments are just bashed in a sarcastic manner. If a new user fights back be is reprimanded by the admins - no appeal. The "RealGM's" (LOL) are always given the benefit of the doubt. Way to keep new members.

3. The trades section is all about disagreements. In the time I have been surfing this, only about 1 in 100 trades is agreed by more than 90% of the posters. Maybe a mandatory IQ test would help weed out the lower educated portion of the fanbase – especially the cronies that think their **** doesn’t stink. They are ruining this business for you.

Maybe you should consider making the forums private. If you cannot attract any new users, then why bother in the first place. I visit a few different forums each day and RealGM is by far the angriest, most elitist and inaccurate forum of them all. I would think many users just visit for the humor value only.

Did you join just to post this? Congratulations, now what will you do? Go to disneyland?
Wolfman1420
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#52 » by Wolfman1420 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

cooch2584 wrote: Now this is a unique way to make friends. Whoda thought?

I have plenty of friends. I don't need any new ones. I am just trying to educate the real admins as to why I personally think their site is going downhill.

This topic is about fixing problems not starting another argument.
Wolfman1420
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#53 » by Wolfman1420 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm

captaincrunk wrote: Did you join just to post this? Congratulations, now what will you do? Go to disneyland?

A perfect example of cronyism. "You have one post and I have thousands therefore your opinion doesn't count". "Let me finish it off by calling you a kid who belongs at Disneyland not in an adult forum like this".

Thanks for the advice. Forgive me if I choose to ignore it.
cooch2584
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by cooch2584 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Wolfman1420 wrote:
cooch2584 wrote: Now this is a unique way to make friends. Whoda thought?

I have plenty of friends. I don't need any new ones. I am just trying to educate the real admins as to why I personally think their site is going downhill.

This topic is about fixing problems not starting another argument.

LOL WHAT A JOKE.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#55 » by Wavy Q » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm

It'll take some getting used to, for me it feels a bit clunky but im sure it'll be fine.
cooch2584
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by cooch2584 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Wolfman1420 wrote:
captaincrunk wrote: Did you join just to post this? Congratulations, now what will you do? Go to disneyland?

A perfect example of cronyism. "You have one post and I have thousands therefore your opinion doesn't count". "Let me finish it off by calling you a kid who belongs at Disneyland not in an adult forum like this".

Thanks for the advice. Forgive me if I choose to ignore it.

This is the same guy who said he didnt want to start an arguement??
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#57 » by Esohny » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 pm

The new look doesn't really mean anything when the content is so lacking.

If the site is going to ignore the forum upgrades mentioned, then at least get some legitimate writers, or heck, just provide links to the much better written articles that are constantly butchered by the wiretap "writers."
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#58 » by Darain » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm

The new website looks awesome, wiretaps are the best part.
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#59 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Search function would be great

Rating posts and having poster ratings would be phenomenal.

People who constantly post garbage and drivel would eventually kicked out after X number of posts or below a certain rating.
syed
Senior
And1: 78

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#60 » by syed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:35 pm

dream34 wrote:You seriously don't come to RealGM for basketball news? That's sad to hear. The new improvements to the site: statistics, scores, transaction information, etc. were not big draws to RealGM in the past obviously, but are now a core part of the site.

Please list out improvements you think the forums need, along with reasoning behind your ideas.

My 2 cents - I never go on to the main site. I always jump straight the forums (hot linked on my tool bar). The reasons I don't go to the main site:

1. The forums get news much quicker than the main site/wire tap
2. I didn't find the content on the Raptors main site interesting enough (sorry, but I am trying to give feedback here)

Return to Global Announcements