Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak

Mesa
Junior
And1: 2

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#61 » by Mesa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:43 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Search function would be great

Rating posts and having poster ratings would be phenomenal.

People who constantly post garbage and drivel would eventually kicked out after X number of posts or below a certain rating.

This is so true, my bad that I failed to mention that as well. But poster ratings would finally do away with the 'look at my join date vs yours' or 'look at my post count vs yours' as the current unofficial user rating measuring stick.
"It's better to be feared than loved"- Machiavelli
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#62 » by cooch2584 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

I had a gut feeling that this was gonna get ugly from the very start.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#63 » by J-Roc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Maybe over time I will make use of the new features, but I can't see it right now. The one thing I you really need is salary info. As it is, we go to other websites for that basic info (no knock on the other sites!)

Of course a forum search function. And I've never had luck with the cookies of this phpBB forum. I can't log onto the forums on different computers and just start reading threads where I left them off.
syed
Senior
And1: 78

Post#64 » by syed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Rating posts and having poster ratings would be phenomenal.

In my experience these never end well. It becomes a popularity contest with contestants compering their e-penis to each other.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#65 » by trwi7 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:Permban that twirlz kid.

Hey now, you would have like 50% less traffic without my 8 billion posts.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
yellowsub264
Senior
And1: 149

Post#66 » by yellowsub264 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 pm

i do come here for the wiretap, but i also go to other sites as well to see if there is something here that maybe other sites dont have or vice versa. realgm is just the first website that i check then on to hoopshype, hoopsworld and then yahoo. most of the time other sites will have more information, i really like how hoopshype has changed, checking realgm is just kinda a habit. but the thing that really makes this site are the forums and if the users arent happy with the forums, well i would try to appease them.

P.S. i dont like the new look but i guess ill get use to it.
God gave me a passion for basketball that burns inside of me like that of a venereal disease
MickaelPietrus
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#67 » by MickaelPietrus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 pm

I think you guys should try and make a "spoilers" buttons as part of posting a post.

Some forums out there have this spoilers button, where you simply click on the button to view what the poster wrote inside.
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#68 » by cooch2584 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm

I just faved the Knicks page on here and cked and now i get right to the Knicks page. Couldnt do that before.Im happy.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#69 » by CR Reina » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We have been taking a look at the threads and have already implemented a lot of the suggestions. Many of the others are being worked on right now. We will continue to listen to your ideas and put them to use wherever we can.

The redesign was primarily on the content side of things where we have some really cool databases, but we'll be upgrading the forums as well in the coming weeks and hopefully be able to add some of those requests.

Here is a sampling of a few new pages that I think you guys would find interesting. A lot of this info is completely unique to RealGM and is brand new.

Rosters: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... /4/Rosters

Awards: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... /13/Awards

All-Stars: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... Historical

Team Transactions: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... on_History

NBA Depth Charts: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Depth_Charts

(The depth charts are updated in real time, as are all of our current season stats and is second to none in my opinion.)

Player Profiles: http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Tim ... ummary/272

Wiretap by Player: http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Car ... y/News/452

Wiretap Topic Categories: http://basketball.realgm.com/news/wiret ... rade_Rumor

Going beyond the NBA is something we didn't really do before and here are a few of those pages.

High Schools: http://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/teams

High School Awards: http://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/awards

NCAA Tournaments:
http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/tourn ... rnament/33
/Bracket/2010/226

Consensus All-Americans: http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/awards/25

Big East Award History: http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/confe ... Historical

Again, we appreciate the feedback and support.
ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#70 » by ubernathan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Realgm is pretty great, the most intelligent basketball forum on the internet bar none (moved here from Yaomingmania). I'll admit though, I only come for the wiretap and forums. I just don't feel the articles are up to par with most of the blogs and other news sources I do read. Maybe realgm could save some money by laying off the writers, instead aggregating stories and editorials from other sources.

EDIT: In regards to post count, why not just move to a model like somethingawful forums have by charging real life cash money for things such as avatars and such. We could even buy each other avatars and signatures as sort of a shaming/incentive tool.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#71 » by Red Vines » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm

I like the idea of mods rating posters and also I think the mods should get a huge pay raise.
mffl_14
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#72 » by mffl_14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 pm

dream34 wrote:
cooch2584 wrote:
mffl_14 wrote:I think some of the changes are cool, and I think it will take some getting use to like anything that's new. However, the biggest reason I love to come to RealGM is to come check out the forums. I used to love how I could click on my teams page or any other team's page and I could see the most recent forum topics on that teams page. It kinda of seems like I am having to hunt for them more and it's not as eye friendly, at least that''s just my opinion. I don't want to come off as ungrateful or a big complainer because I realize I don't post as much as many others do, but I think this will cause me to post even less because I am going to have to search more for the forums.

While I like the fact Realgm posts news and updates what really makes this site unique is the posts. You can be anywhere in the country and follow another team and what their fans are saying. Like I said before it's just my two cents but seeing the forum topics as you open that teams page would be something I would love to see come back. Also if there is a better way to see the forums please let me know.

I agree 100% now you need an extra step to get the Knicks forum,unless you can tell me a different way id be grateful

We do have an extra step now because the site has expanded from NBA to Basketball in general. NBA, NCAA, High School, International, etc is all covered on the homepage now.

You can still get to the Knicks forums in two clicks though. Open http://www.realgm.com, click on Forums in the top right, then scroll down and click on New York Knicks.

If you want to get to the Knicks team page, from realgm.com either click Teams and then select Knicks under NBA Teams, or click NBA, Teams, Knicks.

I guess what I was looking for was when I go to the team page where it has the stories, stats and so on that it would also have the recent topics posted as well so I didn't have to do an additional click and I could just see what was posted recently. I don't think the way things are set up now makes it easy to see what's been posted recently. Is there a way to add the topics back on to the team page with all the other stuff that's been added?
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#73 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

multi-quote button would be another facilitating upgrade.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#74 » by CR Reina » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 pm

mffl_14 wrote:I guess what I was looking for was when I go to the team page where it has the stories, stats and so on that it would also have the recent topics posted as well so I didn't have to do an additional click and I could just see what was posted recently. I don't think the way things are set up now makes it easy to see what's been posted recently. Is there a way to add the topics back on to the team page with all the other stuff that's been added?

We always have liked this as well and we're working on putting it on the new team pages.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#75 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 pm

One other note -- we are looking into Search/PM functions.

It is not something we wanted to disable -- in fact, we very much would like to provide this to RealGMers.

But due to the extremely large size of our forum traffic, this feature would often cause our database to clog up which in turn would crash the site or slow it down dramatically, especially on big days like the Draft and Trade Deadline Day.

We are now looking into a couple of different workarounds which might allow us to re-activate Search/PM and should know more soon.

Thanks for the feedback.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#76 » by DRK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Red Vines wrote:I like the idea of mods rating posters and also I think the mods should get a huge pay raise.

Rating posters? What is this? American Idol?
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
mffl_14
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#77 » by mffl_14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm

CR Reina wrote:
mffl_14 wrote:I guess what I was looking for was when I go to the team page where it has the stories, stats and so on that it would also have the recent topics posted as well so I didn't have to do an additional click and I could just see what was posted recently. I don't think the way things are set up now makes it easy to see what's been posted recently. Is there a way to add the topics back on to the team page with all the other stuff that's been added?

We always have liked this as well and we're working on putting it on the new team pages.

Awesome !!! By adding that back along with the new stuff I say great site ! Thanks for listening to our input.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#78 » by DRK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:27 pm

I agree with enabling Pm's between posters. It will just make thing more convenient. If spamming becomes a problem, it can easily be reported to a mod.
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
SheedsWeed
RealGM

Post#79 » by SheedsWeed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Looks great. I love the team pages, with the stats and all that.
PolakFury
Banned User
Location: Planet X: Nbiru Beside Rasheed Wallace and Pat Riley

Post#80 » by PolakFury » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Looks ok here

Return to Global Announcements