ImageImageImage

Caps Acquire Federov, Cook, and Huet at Trade Deadline

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Caps Acquire Federov, Cook, and Huet at Trade Deadline 

Post#1 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm

The Caps made three trade deadline moves.

They acquired C Sergei Fedorov (probably in a "rent-a-Sergei" move for only this year's playoff push).

LW Matt Cooke was acquired in a trade for Matt Pettinger.

They also acquired G Cristobal Huet from Montreal for a 2009 second round pick. This move is more emotionally troubling for me. I wonder if it means that Olie is outta here at the end of the season.

Both Huet and Olie are UFA after the season. I assume that the Caps are only gonna pick one of them up.

It would be sad to see Olie leave the Caps...he should retire a Capital.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#2 » by timd1218 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Great pickups by Washington. I now think they will win the southeast.

You should be happy they picked up Huet to replace Kolzig. Huet is much better then Kolzig.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#3 » by Snayr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 pm

I hate seeing Huet go... and I really feel the Habs got the short end of the stick in the deal by far. You should be glad you've gotten a very good goaltender in Huet for virtually nothing.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:02 pm

^
Huet is a to 10 goalie, no doubt. And Kolzig really has lost something this season.

The thing is that Olie stuck with Washington during the ugly years. He's been the foundation when there was nothing.

In the fantasy world, both Huet and Olie are resigned after the season. Olie understand that he's the back-up and he's cool with it b/c he's treated as a valued member of the franchise.

Why the Habs let Huet go for only a second round pick is something I wonder about. Couldn't Montreal have gotten better offers?

--Confucius

- Yoda
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by timd1218 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:^
Huet is a to 10 goalie, no doubt. And Kolzig really has lost something this season.

The thing is that Olie stuck with Washington during the ugly years. He's been the foundation when there was nothing.

In the fantasy world, both Huet and Olie are resigned after the season. Olie understand that he's the back-up and he's cool with it b/c he's treated as a valued member of the franchise.

Why the Habs let Huet go for only a second round pick is something I wonder about. Couldn't Montreal have gotten better offers?

If Kolzig wants to retire a Cap, he'll realize he has lost some of his skill and re-sign as a backup.

I'm thinking Gainey included the draft pick in the Hossa trade. If not, I dont think there is much of a markey for goalies. Bryzgalov went on waivers. Roloson didn't get traded. Teams in the playoffs don't need starting goalies. The only team that comes to my mind needing a goalie is Ottawa and Montreal would be stupid to trade Huet to Ottawa.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#6 » by Snayr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:^

I've been asking myself the same thing continuously... and I am truly pissed off at getting so little for Huet. I really don't understand wth Gainey was thinking, but he will be crucified by the Montreal media, and for good reason.

As for Kolzig, I know where you're coming from. Hopefully next year you guys can re-sign Huet and Kolzig and have Kolzig in there backing Huet up. Kolzig does deserve that.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
mzaretsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#7 » by mzaretsk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:10 am

losing olie would hurt more than losing bondra. much more. he's to caps what darrell green was to skins.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 6, 2008 9:33 pm

Yeah, but Olie has lost a step or three the last couple of years. From what I've been reading, the Russian goalie the Capitals drafted a couple of years back will be ready in about 2 years.

The team needs to re-sign Cristobal Huet, Sergei and Cooke. These guys all gave us that extra punch to get into the playoffs and it would be extremely cruel if Ted let all of these 3 guys go. He can't blame lack of attendance because the Verizon Center has been sold out for the last handful of home games, and its obvious they are going to sell out all their playoff home games.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Apr 7, 2008 2:55 am

I always assumed that Sergei was coming as a rental. He'd be a decent mentor for one more year, if Uncle Ted could make it happen. Re-signing Huet is a no-brainer. Though I really have some fond memories of Olie....I doubt, though, that he'd re-sign just to be a back-up.

--Confucius

- Yoda
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#10 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Kolzig is done. That 5-0 thrashing by the BlackHawks did it for his career. Its sad to see it end this way because hes been the rock for this team since as far as I can remember as a kid. True class act and a great player to root for. But its obvious that Huet is 10x the goalie Kolzig is right now. Ted has to make sure Huet is here for for the coming seasons, he is a god send to this team at the moment.

I also like Matt Cooke. Total bad ass and on several occasions hes ignited a spark under the team by making a huge hit and doing other gritty things. He plays with a serious mean streak.

I'd also like Fedorov back. Our depth at the Center position would be amazing.

Backstrom
Nylander
Fedorov
Steckel

damn!
Andreas_Apendix
Banned User

Re: Caps Acquire Federov, Cook, and Huet at Trade Deadline 

Post#11 » by Andreas_Apendix » Sun Mar 8, 2009 8:06 am

LOL. This is like the 5th thread from the top and it was posted last F*cking year.

Just briliant.

Return to Washington Capitals