ImageImageImageImageImage

How do you fix this team?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#301 » by queridiculo » Wed Mar 9, 2011 12:48 am

McGee has a pretty simple role on this team. Box out, rebound, defend, hustle. If that's too complicated for him, I don't see how any amount of change is ever going to cause him to elevate his game.

McGee has to have the desire to get better and he has to demonstrate that he's willing to listen to coaching along the way.

What McGee needs is a coach that will hold him accountable 100%. It's pretty darn obvious that the learning by doing method isn't working for the guy.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

How do you fix this team? 

Post#302 » by fishercob » Wed Mar 9, 2011 12:53 am

So let me get this straight, CCJ: I just demonstrated that McGee (a) has improved appreciably since last year and (b) that he compares favorably to two top-3-picked skinny bigs who became top flight role players and you remain steadfast in your stance that the coach must go immediately?

The coach's methods are working. People like to bash the organization's "player development" but Young and McGee have both improved on Flip's watch.

Perhaps we should all listen to some Guns n' Roses together. "All we need is just a little patience."
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 365

Post#303 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Mar 9, 2011 1:15 am

The thing that makes me laugh about the McGee defenders is that they attribute his poor play and lack of basketball intelligence to everything BUT Javale McGee. Coaching, rotations, his mom, etc, etc. Do you really think that Flip's ROTATIONS are the reasons a 7'1 guy can only grab 3 boards in 30 minutes?

(also his PER is inflated because of his insane yet big-picture meaningless block numbers, his FG% is inflated because he's basically a putback and dunk guy, etc, etc).

The guy wants to make SportsCenter highlights. He doesn't care that much about winning at the moment.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#304 » by crackhed » Wed Mar 9, 2011 1:23 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:The thing that makes me laugh about the McGee defenders is that they attribute his poor play and lack of basketball intelligence to everything BUT Javale McGee. Coaching, rotations, his mom, etc, etc. Do you really think that Flip's ROTATIONS are the reasons a 7'1 guy can only grab 3 boards in 30 minutes?

(also his PER is inflated because of his insane yet big-picture meaningless block numbers, his FG% is inflated because he's basically a putback and dunk guy, etc, etc).

The guy wants to make SportsCenter highlights. He doesn't care that much about winning at the moment.

an effective coach can fix mcgee's idiocy on the court.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#305 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 9, 2011 1:54 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
DCZards mentioned Javale's mother's influence. I think it is much more appropriate to mention Flip. The topic is how to fix the team. IMO it makes more sense to fire the coaching staff and to evaluate the players under new leadership. Rather than speak about unknowns like Javale's mom's influence on his psyche, I would rather objectify 26-56 and 16-46.

Ok, ok. I should have left Javale's mom out of the discussion. But please don't tell me that a mom's opinion doesn't influence a young man, especially a mom that's been a pro b'ball player herself.

But none of that changes the fact that I, personally, expected Javale to be a better, smarter, more consistent player at this point in his career. And that's not "hating."
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#306 » by MF23 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:04 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:The thing that makes me laugh about the McGee defenders is that they attribute his poor play and lack of basketball intelligence to everything BUT Javale McGee. Coaching, rotations, his mom, etc, etc. Do you really think that Flip's ROTATIONS are the reasons a 7'1 guy can only grab 3 boards in 30 minutes?

You can't disregard effeciency numbers over an entire season. I see McGee rooting for his teammates a lot which means he might care about winning.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
DCZards
General Manager

Post#307 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:22 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Points noted on Flip. Moot to even discuss him. Yet, the coach is the focal point and if everyone thinks Flip is history then why would McGee or any other player listen or be coachable?

You listen to the coach, because he's the COACH and your paid to listen to him. Flip helped develop KG, and coached other top big men like the Wallaces. Methinks McGee would be smart to listen to a coach with Flip's background.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#308 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 3:30 am

Tonight: 25 minutes, 13 rebounds.

Negated by turnovers and missed FTs....

Honestly, I hate being a Bullets/Wizards fan for almost 40 years.

I did watch two quality teams in a well-played game between Miami and Portland tonight.

One thing about the Wizards is they usually leave more negative than positive to talk about.
Bye bye Beal.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#309 » by Ed Wood » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:25 am

I really think the Flip thing is causing you to take some very weird stances that you would be pretty opposed to under most circumstances CCJ. You've talked about failing to heed the coaching staff as though it were at worst a neutral or perhaps even a positive thing and if you could divorce yourself just a little from how much you dislike Flip I think you'd agree that you're being unreasonable.

Even if the specifics of Flip's system aren't to your liking, and there are parts of his system that are not to my liking either (the reliance on midrange jumpers for example) most of JaVale's problems are problems that are non-systemic and that every single coaching candidate the team could possibly hire would similarly view as needing correction. JaVale's tendency to get lost defensively, his occasional propensity to force terrible shots, his periodic failure to get back on defense, these are things that are bad basketball qualities, not bad system qualities and they're qualities that JaVale definitely had prior to Flip's tenure. Being some combination of slow to pick up on instruction and reluctant to heed instruction is also a bad thing even in a universe where Flip is learning its a wonderful life.

Anyway I've started a bunch of posts for this thread but because there are any number of approaches and routes to a rebuild and so many of the factors involved are based upon luck it's hard to say what the best course is. Here's a plan that assumes things break right for the team in a couple of ways (namely the next CBA includes a Gilbert Arenas Provision and that the Wizards end up with an opportunity to draft Kyrie Irving):

1: Trade McGee for Nicolas Batum
I'm actually not especially eager to get rid of McGee and Batum has been a bit disappointing this year but the way this rebuild shakes out the team needs wings more than big men and Batum is still young and a safe bet to provide outside shooting and defense.

2. Trade Blatche and Washington's first to Toronto for Amir Johnson, their first and potentially some future consideration (pick-swapping rights, something like that).
This is another trade leveraging the appeal of having a potential franchise defining point guard in Irving into an upgrade at power forward, a lower pick that can be used to scoop up one of the many big men in this draft and even an additional pick for whateva. I'd prefer to do a similar swap for Tyrus Thomas but even in an ideal scenario I don't see one of the coveted players in the draft falling that far.

3. Draft:
1. (Toronto Pick): Enes Kanter, center, Turkey, hanging out in Kentucky

2. (Atlanta Pick): Best player, maybe someone like Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Tyler Honeycutt, Jordan Hamilton; this team is going to need more scoring off of the bench.

3. (Second round pick): Again, best player, maybe Klay Thompson or Kris Joseph or Norris Cole or an upside guy like Tristan Thompson or C.J. Leslie.

Keeping an eye open for any pick sales or the like of course, particularly because this team has a big hole backing up at the point and at small forward and I don't love most of the free agent solutions at either place.

4. Transactions

a) Bid a tearful farewell to Arenas Rule casualty Rashard Lewis.

b) Resign Nick Young to a three year deal ramping down not exceeding 15 million.

c) Sign Wilson Chandler, see what Jonas Jerebko is doing next year (remaining in Detroit probably but you never know).

d) Retain Shakur maybe, depending on how things go in the draft.

Which leaves us with a starting five of:

Wall
Batum
Chandler
Johnson
Kanter

With Young, Booker, Seraphin, the additional First round pick (hence why I'm looking for a point guard who can score potentially with that pick) and add a veteran or two for us to hate for getting too much playing time.

The biggest issue with that team as constructed is probably that it may not have an incredibly high ceiling, or I guess it would be more accurate to say that it's ceiling is hard to be confident about. There isn't a bad player in the starting five and the bench brings some utility if not a lot of impact apart from Young on his good nights. Best case Kanter lives up to his Bogut comparison and you end up with a starting five with strong defense all-around, enough outside shooting between Batum and Chandler to keep teams honest, the athletic ability to play fast and enough size to hang with the Lakers or whoever.

My two big issues with that starting lineup are that I'd prefer to complement Kanter with a big who can stretch the floor more than Johnson but I also want Johnson's athleticism and help defense in there to help Kanter and that I don't like having to rely on Chandler Wall and Batum as the probable primary offensive options until Kanter can provide significant punch. Overall I guess I'd give myself a B there considering the breaks I've given myself but the two biggest issues with the plan, the lack of an additional surefire star and the potential bench holes aren't easy to fix. Hell the first may be impossible in this off-season depending on how the draft works out. These are the breaks.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#310 » by queridiculo » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:58 am

Ed Wood, where do I sign? Level of agreement - off the charts.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#311 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 9, 2011 1:47 pm

Nivek wrote:In addition to the improvements Ruzious notes, McGee has this season added a running hook out of post-up. At first, it looked pretty bad, lately it's been a legitimate offensive move. I'd like to see him add a drop step, and up-and-under and a legit jump hook. He's also starting to show a willingness to not try and block every shot. Last 5-8 games, he's been staying down and putting his hands up more frequently.

So, at least a couple signs of progress from McGee.

Also his block per minute numbers are down, which for McGee is a good thing -- that's another sign he's not going for every block.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#312 » by dangermouse » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:14 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Also his block per minute numbers are down, which for McGee is a good thing -- that's another sign he's not going for every block.

Or, hes getting called for more goal tends.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#313 » by W. Unseld » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm starting to think they aren't going to be dying to add more rookies to this team after last nights "5 rookies on the floor at once" debacle. I can't help but wonder if they will be trying to package a young prospect and a pick for a good veteran. Via trade is about the only way I see a good vet coming here.

On a side note, does a lock out help the Wiz? We shave a year of Shard's contract and the Celtics just about age out of the elite and maybe Kobe does too. Just think about it, contraction Charlotte prevents the Wiz from ever being in 5th place in the SouthEastern division again!!!
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#314 » by willbcocks » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm beginning to think we should let Nick walk. I don't feel entirely confident about him in the future, and we have Crawford, another talented guy I don't feel entirely confident in, inked into a rookie contract.

Nick:
-Much better shooter, better off the ball.

Crawford:
-Better at attacking, better rebounder and passer, forces more turnovers.

Both look like they will be quality defenders and both take some bad shots. The biggest thing Young has going for him over JC is 3 point range, but JC might develop it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#315 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:54 pm

willbcocks wrote:The biggest thing Young has going for him over JC is 3 point range, but JC might develop it.

You can't just gloss over that difference though. Young isn't merely a pretty good 3-point shooter, he is one of the best in the league.

Looking at guys who have played 1400 or more total minutes and who shoot at least 4 threes per 36 minutes, Young is the 10th best shooter. (He was 6th before last night's 0-4 outing.) Furthermore, most of the guys above him are grizzled vets who have had a decade to hone their shot. The only under-30 players to make the top ten are Stephen Curry, Reddick and Young.

Outside shooting is the biggest offensive weakness on this team. Letting Young walk would be a big mistake (unless somebody offers him crazy money).
Spence
Head Coach
And1: 35

Post#316 » by Spence » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:57 pm

nate33 wrote:
willbcocks wrote:Outside shooting is the biggest offensive weakness on this team. Letting Young walk would be a big mistake (unless somebody offers him crazy money).

+1861

Anyone who wants to get rid of Nick Young needs to explain how this awful jump-shooting team will hit an outside shot without Nick Young. He's the only player on the team who does it right now.
Satan is happy with your progress.
DC Pro Sports Report is a good site for DC pro sports news.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#317 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 9, 2011 3:01 pm

Ed Wood wrote:
1: Trade McGee for Nicolas Batum
I'm actually not especially eager to get rid of McGee and Batum has been a bit disappointing this year but the way this rebuild shakes out the team needs wings more than big men and Batum is still young and a safe bet to provide outside shooting and defense.

2. Trade Blatche and Washington's first to Toronto for Amir Johnson, their first and potentially some future consideration (pick-swapping rights, something like that).
This is another trade leveraging the appeal of having a potential franchise defining point guard in Irving into an upgrade at power forward, a lower pick that can be used to scoop up one of the many big men in this draft and even an additional pick for whateva. I'd prefer to do a similar swap for Tyrus Thomas but even in an ideal scenario I don't see one of the coveted players in the draft falling that far.

I'm not trading McGee for Batum. Despite my frustrations with Javale, I still like his upside and I expect a lot of GMs do as well. If I'm trading him at all, I want more than Batum, who I don't consider Batum an upgrade over either Nick or Crawford.

I like the trade for Amir Johnson. He's a good defender and shotblocker and plays with intensity. Right now, he's awfully inconsistent on the offensive end, but that could change with some steady PT. Toronto might make the trade because they have a very good young big in Ed Davis who they can plug in at the PF or C, especially if it gives them a shot at Irving.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#318 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 3:28 pm

I'd love to trade McGee for Batum if Batum was on his rookie contract until 2013. The problem is, Batum is a free agent in 2012. If we decide to keep him, it eats a big hole into our 2012 cap space and ruins our chances for a big name free agent in 2012.

If we trade McGee, I'd like it to be for someone from the 2009 or 2010 draft class. We'd be better off with someone like Austin Daye or Taj Gibson. Either that or trade him for a high 2012 draft pick.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#319 » by Nivek » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:06 pm

I think McGee has too much upside to deal him right now. They're not going to get a "future value" return, and his future value is potentially among the best players in the game. He makes plays and occasionally dominates despite having little idea of what he's doing. Wiz need to be patient with him.

Good example of his continued low IQ, first quarter the Wiz run a high screen/roll where McGee sets the pick for Wall. Wall goes past, and McGee just stands there near the 3pt line. From the bench comes the shout, "ROLL!!!"

Still, too much upside. Gotta keep working with him and hope something gets into that psyche and gets him to work seriously on his game.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#320 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:11 pm

Nivek wrote:Good example of his continued low IQ, first quarter the Wiz run a high screen/roll where McGee sets the pick for Wall. Wall goes past, and McGee just stands there near the 3pt line. From the bench comes the shout, "ROLL!!!"

:nonono:

For the record, I'm not actively looking to trade McGee. I just suggested trades that I would like more so than the Batum suggestion. The only McGee trade that interests me now would be one for a 2012 draft pick - and that depends on how high the pick is. (It also depends on whether the new CBA will mandate two years of college ball before entering the pros. That 2012 draft might be dreadful. Mason Plumlee could go top 5.)

Return to Washington Wizards