ImageImageImageImageImage

DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS & BASKETBALL SKILLS

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#21 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Fri May 16, 2008 11:00 pm

My only dirty trick was to leave my man wide open to double team the ballhog. Always got lots of glares that way for some reason.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
VictorPage44
Senior
And1: 1

Post#22 » by VictorPage44 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:39 am

some of these tricks, if done to me, would result in me grabbing you by the jersey sticking my leg out, and hurling you over my leg face-first into the hardwood.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,344

Post#23 » by doclinkin » Sat May 17, 2008 11:03 pm

VictorPage44 wrote:some of these tricks, if done to me, would result in me grabbing you by the jersey sticking my leg out, and hurling you over my leg face-first into the hardwood.

My point exactly. That's a foul the refs call. Plus an ejection. Argentina style. That's Bruce Bowen's entire game, get in their head, take out their best player one way or the other.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#24 » by mohammed10 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Robert Horry's gone from Big Shot Bob to Cheap Shot Bob.

He took out Nash last year with a hip check and that pretty much sealed the deal for a Spurs championship.

Tonight, he took out David West from the blind side. From hockey style hit last year to football style hit. West compared it to a quarterback being blindsided.

Robert Horry's a dirty baller with 7 rings.

CCJ:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I thought this was a Robert Horry dedication thread!

:nonono:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#25 » by mohammed10 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:17 am

fishercob wrote:-
I have to agree. I don't what was worse -- the body check or the celebration of the injury by the redneck fans.

fisher:

Interesting how the league ISN'T suspending Cheap Shot Bob for this play... Hmm....

:crazy:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#26 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon May 19, 2008 2:33 pm

I don't see what Horry did that was so egregious. West already had a bad back. Horry looked like he was going to set a back pick and then the ball got passed. I think if West's back wasn't already hurting, there wouldn't even have been a foul call because West wouldn't have gone down. At worst, Horry's "cheap shot" on this play was a mild push in the back. I don't see anything he did that would have warranted a suspension.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS 

Post#27 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Wow, I don't even remember this thread. But I'm closing in on 30 and I need to play a dirtier..err...more veteran style of ball to remain effective. Keep the ideas coming!
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#28 » by Wilford Brimley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Wow, I don't even remember this thread. But I'm closing in on 30 and I need to play a dirtier..err...more veteran style of ball to remain effective. Keep the ideas coming!

Okay.

The Karl Malone - when driving to the basket, get airborne and knee/kick the defender in the chest.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#29 » by W. Unseld » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Wow, I don't even remember this thread. But I'm closing in on 30 and I need to play a dirtier..err...more veteran style of ball to remain effective. Keep the ideas coming!

Not dirty but to stay effective offensively keep a solid midrange jump shot going and move w/o the ball. Moving w/o the ball is the most underrated pick up or scrub league offensive manuever there is. Going back to dirty, if you can't push off to make your move (ref is too close, defender has already threatened to shoot you and he's serious) do a V cut where you step directly into your defender's path before cutting hard at an angle to a different direction.

Old man first step: RECRUIT THE GLUTES. Make sure any sudden burst move you have positions your legs so that the power is coming from the glutes then just get one foot past the defender and go. I still get swatted from time to time but it's harder for the defender b/c they are coming from behind and it's better to do one quick definitive move then to sit around pump faking waiting for the help.

Post move question: I've got a sweet fadeaway, I need the counter move but I just can't pull off the drop step. I don't think I'm wide enough. Any other counter ideas? The up and under is there but I'd like something more physical as a counter.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Zerocious » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

box-out:if you end up on the wrong side of the boxout, plant your knees in the hollow of the knees of the guy boxing you out. he most likely will try and grab you not to fall and have a foul go your way in the process.

rebounding: when everyone is waiting for the ball to come down enough to be able to grab it, stand on a foot or heel of a shoe. nothing throws you of more than jumping out of your shoe

pass to the face: if you find your self trapped in either a double team, or pesky full court defense...the next time he gets to close just launch the ball straight into his face, play it off as an errant pass. he wont come to close again. worked a few times for me :nonono:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 pm

There's the Reggie Miller kickout that he used in the first half of his career several times a game. He stopped doing either because it hurt his knees, or refs finally refused to call it. When shooting jump shots, if the defender was close to him, he'd kick out his feet at the top of his jump making contact with the defender, and it worked for FT's every time. It's a lost art, though Kobe has used a variation where he knees his opponent (preferably in the groin) and gets the call.

Actually, if you're Kobe, do anything to initiate to contact, and the official will more than likely give you the call (especially if it's against Australian centers). Just be Kobe.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#32 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Crapping in someone's shoe.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#33 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Offering the green player a choice of handguns.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#34 » by Sn0wman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm

fishercob wrote:Crapping in someone's shoe.

Ruzious wrote:Offering the green player a choice of handguns.

:rofl:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#35 » by W. Unseld » Tue Jul 5, 2011 9:31 pm

W. Unseld wrote:If anyone can find my "basketball skills instruction" thread please let me know, this is better off in that. I'm in a league where the refs don't blow the whistle for fouls...ever...so my teamates and I are coming up with tactics to use, here is what we have so far, feel free to add if you know of any:

1. Hand checking: Use your inside hand, not your outside. Don't stiff arm simply push off from time to time as needed. Do this around waist level, if you go much higher it will probably get called.

2. Dealing with a streaking shooter: a. Jab the shooter's elbow with your fingers on his release. You may get called the first time but it will effect his shot for the rest of the game--especially if you luck out and hit the funny bone. Think Harper guarding Jordan in the early 90's. b. Take up the space where the shooter is supposed to land and box out early.

3. Defensive Rebounding: Use the old Wes Unseld: turn, stick your forearm into the gut of the guy behind you, then box out. This usually knocks the wind out of them and allows for a much easier box out. Note: this tactic almost got me killed in a league a few seasons ago. The counter to this is the chicken wing which Danny can demonstrate.

4. Moving pics: Make good use of them until they start calling them.

5. Driving: Do the D-Wade and clear with your off hand while driving. Not only will this give you an advantage over the defender but it will also prevent the reach in.

6. The Steve Nash: The defender is chest-guarding/hand checking you and you can't get by. Grab the defender's jersey w/your non-dribbling hand and pull him in the opposite direction that you want to go. Note: I am not coordinated to pull this off, but it should work for some of you.

7. Push off to get open. Push in one direction go to the other. It's away from the ball so it's almost never, ever going to get called and it gets you open and helps keep the offense in motion.

8. Foot Step Post Up: Step on a taller or high jumping defender's foot to get your shot off--they will not be able to block it all though it's harder to convert than you would think.

Bringing back this thread for rec league play, did anyone learn any new tactics watching the playoffs?
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#36 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Jul 5, 2011 9:50 pm

When you're standing under the basket and a player 8 inches taller than you is about to grab the rebound, fling yourself violently forward toward the closest referee. That way, he won't be able to see that your opponent never actually touched you, and will award you the foul and the free throws.

By the way, this works better if you have a multi-million dollar endorsement deal and a T-Mobile commercial playing during every timeout.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#37 » by 7-Day Dray » Tue Jul 5, 2011 10:58 pm

Just pull off LeBron's patented crab-dribble.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#38 » by Scabs304 » Wed Jul 6, 2011 12:02 am

My main crossover is the hop dribble. Well when a player is playing me really tight and bodying me and it real easy to get a call to go with the same move as always and just falling when I hop. It moves a player back after the first call since I usually hit the floor hard and my teamates have a tendency to taking it personally that I'm getting tripped (they know by now that this is not the case that I'm pretty much flopping to open myself up to get into the lane). Also hard not to get a call when you drive and a player is riding you and you just fall into the big man that is right in front of you cause you were tripped. I know you don't get alot of calls, but hard not to get a call when you look like your getting tripped.
I am Scabs.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#39 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 6, 2011 1:56 am

the other day i accidentally jumped off the wrong foot and it really threw the timing of the shotblocker off. i tried variations of it for the rest of the game and it was pretty effective if you don't follow the traditional "step, step, shoot" rhythm.

the dirtiest thing i do is probably hand-checking. my friend uses his absurdly pointy and long elbows to push people out of the way when he's around the basket not unlike what Shaq does. it's VERY effective...
Bullets -> Wizards
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#40 » by Nivek » Wed Jul 6, 2011 2:33 pm

Against a defender who's crowding you: hard ball fake right to the face. Has to look accidental for it not to get called. Had a teammate who did this a hundred years ago in high school. Bloodied the defender's nose and no one from the opposing team guarded him quite so tight the rest of the game.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards