ImageImageImage

Is Brian burke the right GM for the leafs?

Moderator: Crowned

whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Is Brian burke the right GM for the leafs? 

Post#21 » by whysoserious » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:12 pm

I agree with your idea around Kessel for Nash. But I would include an extra pick or prospect. The salary is higher but if the output is equal, I'd take the bigger guy that I can put in front of the net.

The problem with planning around capspace in 2 years is that we've been down this road looking at future FA markets and what happens is all the big names coming up re-sign so getting a significant piece through FA seems unrealistic.

Burke's gonna have to be tough in negotiations with Franson, Kulemin and Frattin. He's already given in to guys like Grabbo, he can't afford to do it more. He played tough with MacArthur, so that was good. He can probably get Kulemin at a bargain.

He's really going to have to do some bold things this summer, not big splashes in general unless the Nash deal is there but some outside the box moves to fit players in Carlyles style.

Besides I think Nash in Toronto and Kessel in Columbus, both could thrive.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#22 » by Brew666 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I don't expect there to be any big FA signing but cap managment seems to be his biggest issue. In a couple years he could be in the clear (if he doesn't make anymore horrid signings) but he has to do something worthwhile with the space as well; whether it be retaining talent or getting a big ticket player through trade/FA.

Who knows what's said behind closed doors but BB has got to be filling a bit of pressure to actually do something this summer.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#23 » by Waylon Mercy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:32 am

What does trading the younger Kessel for the older Nash accomplish?

The Kessel/Lupul line wasn't the problem this year it was the other 3 lines that resemble
an AHL roster....

The Leafs have 3-5 decent players they need to gain more talent not exchange the few they
have. There is nothing in FA they have next to no trade assets so the only logical thing to do
is keep rebuilding.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#24 » by whysoserious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 am

Waylon Mercy wrote:What does trading the younger Kessel for the older Nash accomplish?

The Kessel/Lupul line wasn't the problem this year it was the other 3 lines that resemble
an AHL roster....

The Leafs have 3-5 decent players they need to gain more talent not exchange the few they
have. There is nothing in FA they have next to no trade assets so the only logical thing to do
is keep rebuilding.

It's not like you're trading a young guy for an aging vet. Nash has similar production, slightly older but also a bigger body. Kessler will never be able to live up to the super expectations and as Seguin keeps improving theings will get tougher. I never said or think Kessels the major problem but it's a sideways move that still benefits both teams and the player.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#25 » by Waylon Mercy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:59 am

whysoserious wrote:
Waylon Mercy wrote:What does trading the younger Kessel for the older Nash accomplish?

an AHL roster....

is keep rebuilding.

It's not like you're trading a young guy for an aging vet. Nash has similar production, slightly older but also a bigger body. Kessler will never be able to live up to the super expectations and as Seguin keeps improving theings will get tougher. I never said or think Kessels the major problem but it's a sideways move that still benefits both teams and the player.

I don't understand what that accomplishes?

Nash will have no one to play with have 3 lines behind him that are AHL caliber and have no
goalie sounds a lot like his situation in Columbus.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#26 » by whysoserious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Waylon Mercy wrote:I don't understand what that accomplishes?

Nash will have no one to play with have 3 lines behind him that are AHL caliber and have no
goalie sounds a lot like his situation in Columbus.

And Kessel is in the same boat as Nash would be. My point is Nash would be a better fit and is a better overall player than Kessel. It's not like you make the Nash trade and sit on your hands, just as having Kessel doesn't mean you're going with this team also.

Is it hard to understand that Nash would be better to have on the first line, RW than having Kessel? Only difference is a few years in age and more salary. Getting Nash while keeping Kessel would hurt the team more because now you stil haven't addressed anything down the middle. In this case, you're swapping first line RW'ers.

Even with his hot start, Kessel is just not gonig to be able to flourish here fully. Any time anything goes a little south he'll always be the first one brought up and everyone will look at what Seguin's doing Boston, even if it's not really fair to Kessel.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#27 » by sanity » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm

No disrespect to Kessel but I do believe Nash is the superior player. Consider the size between Nash and Lupol on the same line, we could finally cycle the puck down low for the first time since having Sundin around. Its hard to say whether or not keeping Kessel would be a mistake (if its possible with the salary). Consider him on the 2nd line with Grabovski/McArthur or Bozak... that is pretty damn potent.

I think a huge problem for the Leafs this season is the lack of puck possession from winning the battles along the boards in the offensive zone. We rarely had control cleanly even during the run-and-gun system Wilson tried (which f*ked us on defense immensely with odd-man breaks).
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#28 » by whysoserious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:33 pm

I agree that Nash is superior but having them both will likely screw up the cap which is why I suggested that that's a possible move the Leafs should consider.

Production wise they are similar, but Nash offers a little more on his size and haven't seen much leadership out of Kessel. And the guy is gonna be scrutinized to death in this market based on that trade forever.

I think it's definitely a win for the Leafs to consider that move. Not saying Columbus accepts a package around Kessel but the Leafs should make a push.
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#29 » by Deron05 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:19 pm

To me I think BB doesn't try hard enough to get a deal done. Like at the deadline, the rumour was he was just offering schenn for Hodgson. I would offer schenn and kadri for Hodgson. Because he didn't get a deal done, we ended up giving Grabovski 5.5 mill!! Another is he hires his friends. Ron wilson, and now Randy Carlyle. Like when BB hired Carlyle, did he think that maybe Getzlaf or Ryan won't want to come here? And when BB came here he said there was gonna be a 5 year re-build. Ill compare the leafs to Edmonton. The leafs are not in a playoff spot and neither is Edmonton. Look at the potential though. Who do you think is going to be the better team in 5 years? Probably Edmonton. Yes the Leafs will probably make the playoffs before the Oilers, But the Leafs will get their asses handed to them in a playoff series. I don't know about you, but if I knew we were gonna be where we are today, I would rather get the 1st overall picks, instead of taking a short cut.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#30 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Deron05 wrote:To me I think BB doesn't try hard enough to get a deal done. Like at the deadline, the rumour was he was just offering schenn for Hodgson. I would offer schenn and kadri for Hodgson. Because he didn't get a deal done, we ended up giving Grabovski 5.5 mill!! Another is he hires his friends. Ron wilson, and now Randy Carlyle. Like when BB hired Carlyle, did he think that maybe Getzlaf or Ryan won't want to come here? And when BB came here he said there was gonna be a 5 year re-build. Ill compare the leafs to Edmonton. The leafs are not in a playoff spot and neither is Edmonton. Look at the potential though. Who do you think is going to be the better team in 5 years? Probably Edmonton. Yes the Leafs will probably make the playoffs before the Oilers, But the Leafs will get their asses handed to them in a playoff series. I don't know about you, but if I knew we were gonna be where we are today, I would rather get the 1st overall picks, instead of taking a short cut.

I think a couple of points. I think even Schenn and Kadri for Hodgson wasn't going to work. It didn't fit the need that Vancouver was looking for and no point overpaying for him. I'd much rather put a package together for Schneider than Hodgson. Not that Hodgson couldn't help out for sure.

Second, a lot of people keep saying BB hires his friends, it's different. It would be one thing if he was hiring under qualified people just cause they were his friends. The people he's hired are highly qualified and skilled and of course anyone in his position is going to hire people they are familiar with.

As for the Oilers vs. Leafs comparison. I think any fan will take their potential over ours at this point. But to say Edmonton will be better is not accurate. They have a lot of holes and have had trouble acquiring talent through FA, can't just keep signing their own guys that will be due for raises and hope to fill those holes in the draft. We'll see what happense.

And it's not like the Leafs don't have potential, there are some good pieces in place here. It's just a matter of adding to it, consolidating a few assets and not overpaying for the Armstrongs and Komisareks. You've got to fill out you're third and fourth line with prospects and players you can get on the cheap. So far, Burke's overpayed for those guys a little and it's hurt him. Some moves made sense, taking on Lombardi's contract to get Franson, makes sense when you don't have assets in terms of picks.

This has the potential to be a very big summer. It's very important for Burke to get things right even if he doesn't make a big splash, he's going to have to make some shrewd moves.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#31 » by Deron05 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm

This is off topic, but Connolly,Lombardi,Armstrong and Komisarek make around 16 mill in total. BB HAS to get rid of that dead weight. And did anyone else realize how strong the RFA's are. Guys like Jamie Benn, Carey Price,Shea Weber,Mike Green,Evander Kane. Sucks that they are all RFA's.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#32 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Those guys are not going to be easy to discharge. Good thing is they come off the books in the next few years. Armstrong and Connolly could be packaged for someone looking to hit the cap minimum or get out of a big contract. I'm not sure how much is left on Lombardi's contract.

As for the RFA's, Burke has stated he's not someone that would make a move on those types of guys. Suter would be nice as a UFA though.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#33 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 am

whysoserious wrote:Those guys are not going to be easy to discharge. Good thing is they come off the books in the next few years. Armstrong and Connolly could be packaged for someone looking to hit the cap minimum or get out of a big contract. I'm not sure how much is left on Lombardi's contract.

As for the RFA's, Burke has stated he's not someone that would make a move on those types of guys. Suter would be nice as a UFA though.

A team like florida could use Komisarek. Komisarek is set to earn i think 3.5 mill with a cap hit of 4.5 mill, and with the Cap likely going up to around 70 mill (but it will come down), teams that are close to the cap floor now will need a big cap hit. Also, Armstrong,Komisarek,Connolly and Lombardi will be in their last year of their contract next year, so they could be decent rentals.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs