Re: official Spring Training Thread 

Post#22 » by Pharmcat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 am

ibanez is 2 for 24 this spring training :roll:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#23 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Wang outdueled Pineda...and I'm convinced more than ever against the freaking Nationals in Preseason that he needs to start the season in the minors getting into shape, working on rebuilding his arm strength, and command of his third pitch. I think this kid is great but fact is, he's not in shape...and there's no need to rush him.

Still worried bout Kuroda.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#24 » by GnarlesOakley » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm not too worried about Pineda, the fact that his secondary stuff looks good is promising. We don't need him throwing 95s and wearing his arm out in meaningless games. Taking a while to get in shape hasn't exactly hurt CC, has it?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#25 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

It did hurt CC in the second half of the season when the Yanks foolishly shrugged off losing the East to the Rays. Prompting CC to drop weight and Yanks muse over a weight clause....

So YES...weight matters for example when Wells back gave out against the Marlins in 2003 WS.

YES fat men don't do well over time like Colon...whose "stem cells" only lasted so long....

WHY you ask? Power pitching comes from the legs that support that weight. Pitching is not about knuckle dragging kids.

So far, I have it going: CC, Nova, Pettitte, Hughes, and that pitcher who left California kicking and screaming...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#26 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Boone Logan had a rough outing. Hall can hit but his fielding at 3B is horrific.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#27 » by Pharmcat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:It did hurt CC in the second half of the season when the Yanks foolishly shrugged off losing the East to the Rays. Prompting CC to drop weight and Yanks muse over a weight clause....

So YES...weight matters for example when Wells back gave out against the Marlins in 2003 WS.

YES fat men don't do well over time like Colon...whose "stem cells" only lasted so long....

WHY you ask? Power pitching comes from the legs that support that weight. Pitching is not about knuckle dragging kids.

So far, I have it going: CC, Nova, Pettitte, Hughes, and that pitcher who left California kicking and screaming...

actually brian cashman explained the weight clause....he said his previous experience resulted in a player becoming under pressure and force vomiting to lose the weight, so he doesnt bother with it, think its counterproductive
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#28 » by Pharmcat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:35 pm

GnarlesOakley wrote:I'm not too worried about Pineda, the fact that his secondary stuff looks good is promising. We don't need him throwing 95s and wearing his arm out in meaningless games. Taking a while to get in shape hasn't exactly hurt CC, has it?

he wont throw his changeup in the games when it matters b/c its hard to trust it....its the same problem phil and AJ had with it
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#29 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Betances looked alright....still working on his control like most big guys.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#30 » by Pharmcat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:35 am

pineada doesnt look like hes ready at all
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#31 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:21 am

That's why I feel it's not a bad thing to have both Pettitte and Garcia who can contribute till the kids come around.
Christophersp10
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#32 » by Christophersp10 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Pharmcat wrote:pineada doesnt look like hes ready at all

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Did we watch the same game? Pineda had a minor shaky first inning which included Martin throwing error where the guy stealing second base should have been out by a Mile. McCutchen is a good hitter who fouled off several balls before hitting a homerun. Martin makes a proper throw and that first inning is a different story

Pineda ended up getting 5 k's to 1 walk
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#33 » by Pharmcat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm

per marchand pineada came in 20lbs overweight, not the 10 we heard

no wonder SEA wanted him gone, no velocity, cant stay in shape....seems like cash didnt do his hw
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#34 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:39 pm

"The most important thing that I wanted to accomplish was the feeling for the real game, and I think I was able to do that, so I'm happy," Kuroda said through a translator. "I think there was something that I gained from this outing. I made sure that I had all my pitches, and I was able to throw a lot of good pitches."

Riiiiight....What's up with the Yanks luck with Japanese pitching? Just rough.

Today, Phil Hughes is looking to lock up the #3 spot in the rotation.
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#35 » by Christophersp10 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 pm

oooo no, he came in overweight. head for the hills.

I guess you forgot about the growing pains and immaturity that Jesus went through.

He cant stay in shape? Guy has played 1 season in baseball. When has he showed a history of not staying in shape?

Tell me, how big is CC? How big was David Wells from 1997-1998? Did the Yankees get burned on either?

No Veloicity? Pineda had 5 k's in 3 innings to 1 walk yesterday and was hitting 94 MILES PER HOUR in spring training.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#36 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 am

YES. the Yanks got burned in 2003 when Wells back gave out in the WS.

YES. CC's weight played a factor in 2010 in Sept and into the playoffs.

YES. WEIGHT matters it leads to A LOT of injuries...Ask Colon when he wasn't begging for a job.

WHY you ASK?!??!!

Cause ANY baseball fan knows power pitchers need their legs...you CAN'T push off when your GUT is slowing you down.

It's BASEBALL 101...it's not a question...it's INDISPUTABLE.

It might NOT bother Pineda today...maybe not this season but eating and diet is a habit that builds over time. (SEE EDDY CURRY)

The Yanks Gave up their BEST prospect (in some time) for this gordita...it's a HUGE investment ESPECIALLY if the Yanks have to flop out 100M.

So STOP acting like you are a 10 year old Chrissie.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#37 » by Pharmcat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:09 am

I wouldnt mind pineada if he was coming up thru the Ny system

but ny traded their best prospect in a decade to get this guy, and he doesn not have a clean sheet, its very disappointing
rappa
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#38 » by rappa » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:24 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:YES. the Yanks got burned in 2003 when Wells back gave out in the WS.

YES. WEIGHT matters it leads to A LOT of injuries...Ask Colon when he wasn't begging for a job.

WHY you ASK?!??!!

Cause ANY baseball fan knows power pitchers need their legs...you CAN'T push off when your GUT is slowing you down.

It might NOT bother Pineda today...maybe not this season but eating and diet is a habit that builds over time. (SEE EDDY CURRY)

The Yanks Gave up their BEST prospect (in some time) for this gordita...it's a HUGE investment ESPECIALLY if the Yanks have to flop out 100M.

I usually never agree on what you say and you know this but I will agree with a portion of your statement. Legs play a huge role, I pitched d1 and was offered out of hs but chose college instead - best move ever - CC struggled cause of weight last year and it was obvious....Wells was fat but comeon, he was still great and as much as it hurts to think of the florida ws, it was just one more blemish on a great resume.

I believe in Pineda but the part where you say it's a huge investment, you're completely off base. Pineda is cost controlled for 5 years and is already looking good. Being a pitcher, nothing works someone into shape more then pitching and doing post game routines. He was a little tired at the end of last year but who isn't after 180ip when your 22? Now that he's with the team too and not back home he will probably eat healthier as well.

I also like andy coming back hopefully better than ever, I wonder who is going to be the odd man out? Hughes has been great, Nova has looked good and Pineda is still doing well and will be fine, don't worry. This isn't like Hughes last year where he couldn't get a swing without a rocket getting hit somewhere. He's been in the low 90's hitting 94 and he's just getting warmed up. Slider and changeup have looked good so far, stop being stat line readers and actually watch (looking at you pharmcat)
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#39 » by Christophersp10 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:YES. the Yanks got burned in 2003 when Wells back gave out in the WS.

WHY you ASK?!??!!

Weight does play an issue, not denying it.

David Wells was always a fat out of shape player who admitted pitching on hangovers. I am pretty sure he said he was hung over in his Perfect Game.

How about the 3 pitch shutout against the the Indians in game 3 of the 1997 ALDS?

How about the 1998 playoffs?

How about game 1 of the 2003 World Series? 3 hits, 3 runs in 7 innings.

People don't mention 2003 if Torre wasn't a mother frigging moron.

CC was just as big and fat in 2009.

Funny how Pharmcat still hasn't mentioned anything about the 94 MPH and the 5 k's to 1 walk.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#40 » by Pharmcat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 am

ibanez with a .054 average, what a great signing LOL

Return to New York Yankees