Post#21 » by LLJ » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Looks like the push for 9th begins.

Leaf fans are so good at telegraphing this stuff. :D
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Tank or push for 8th? 

Post#22 » by Deron05 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:51 pm

leafsfan89 wrote:Tanking should never be an option. Its completely stupid, and im sure the player's arent interested in losing. "You PLAY to WIN the game!". It just boosts confidence for the team, hopefully with these remaining games left, leafs can build up some chemistry going into next year and possibly try and solve out this goalie situation. Maybe give Reimer the extra load. Gustavsson has been playing alot of but people are suggesting he wont be back next year.

Leafs are definitely stuck in no mans land however, they are as far from 8th as they are to last place. Probably closer to last place now, seems like montreal doesnt care to acquire a top 3 pick. The only player i would be highly interested in acquiring in the draft is Grigorenko. I can see the leafs trying to trade up to acquire Grigorenko, he is the best centre in the draft and that's our number one focus right now. Lets see if this will happen!

So are you the 1 person that voted to go for 8th? Lol.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#23 » by Brew666 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm

So are you the 1 person that voted to go for 8th? Lol.[/quote]

Nope, that was me and why wouldn't have I wanted them to push for the playoffs? When I voted they weren't that far out of a playoff spot and I see a lot of value in playoff experience for the development of our current players. It gives us a better assessment of what we have. Where this team's confidence is/was it'd be huge for them to make the playoffs, a much better siuation than them giving everything having them continually fail. And I'd argue that the development of our current prospects in our system is more important than adding another prospect that may or may not have been a good pick. I'd be

I know a lot of people had their hopes up for a top 3 draft pick but we were more likely of making the 8th spot than dropping to the bottom 3 if you looked at the standings.

Finishing 9th in the conference is the worst situation and now that we're completely out of the playoff picture the higher the draft pick the better but at the time of the poll, we were still closer to a playoff spot then a top draft pick.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#24 » by Deron05 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Brew666 wrote:So are you the 1 person that voted to go for 8th? Lol.

Nope, that was me and why wouldn't have I wanted them to push for the playoffs? When I voted they weren't that far out of a playoff spot and I see a lot of value in playoff experience for the development of our current players. It gives us a better assessment of what we have. Where this team's confidence is/was it'd be huge for them to make the playoffs, a much better siuation than them giving everything having them continually fail. And I'd argue that the development of our current prospects in our system is more important than adding another prospect that may or may not have been a good pick. I'd be

I know a lot of people had their hopes up for a top 3 draft pick but we were more likely of making the 8th spot than dropping to the bottom 3 if you looked at the standings.

Finishing 9th in the conference is the worst situation and now that we're completely out of the playoff picture the higher the draft pick the better but at the time of the poll, we were still closer to a playoff spot then a top draft pick.[/quote]
Lol, when this thread was made (March 7th, and I'm assuming that the poll was made march 7th too) they were out of a playoff spot by 5 points. Today, they are out by 6. Its a 1 point difference. Also, right now they are 3 points away from a bottom 3 pick. So, it is way more likely to get in the bottom 3 than make the playoffs.
Brew666
Junior

Post#25 » by Brew666 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm

[quote="Deron05]Lol, when this thread was made (March 7th, and I'm assuming that the poll was made march 7th too) they were out of a playoff spot by 5 points. Today, they are out by 6. Its a 1 point difference. Also, right now they are 3 points away from a bottom 3 pick. So, it is way more likely to get in the bottom 3 than make the playoffs.[/quote]

Needing 5 points w/ 16 games left is different than needing 6 points w/ 10 games left. Even if they went 4-2 since March 7th then we'd still be right there with a game on hand over Carolina. It's a 1 point differential but they've also played 6 of the 16 games that remained. And TBH it's not like I thought they could make the playoffs this entire time, I saw the playoffs out of the picture when they lost to WAS. And if they did win that game they'd still be in the playoff race.

I suck at math but I still think probability was on the side of the Leafs making the playoffs verus a bottom 3 finish (i.e. different than making playoffs v. not making playoffs) as of March 7th. When you take into account the records of the teams above and below the Leafs as well as the Leafs record at the time, I would think it would've been more likely to make the playoffs vs. the continued losing streak. So yeah, now it's more likely they finish in bottom 3 but I doubt it was on March 7th. Though I'm sure the most likely scenario would be them standing pat or moving up or down one position.

Regardless of the probabilities, if the Leafs are 5 points out w/ 16 games left next year, I'd still vote the same. I was likely wrong to believe that playoffs were that much more likely then a bottom 3 finish but if my team is on the doorstep then I'd rather see a good run and them make the playoffs.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#26 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 am

Needing 5 points w/ 16 games left is different than needing 6 points w/ 10 games left. Even if they went 4-2 since March 7th then we'd still be right there with a game on hand over Carolina. It's a 1 point differential but they've also played 6 of the 16 games that remained. And TBH it's not like I thought they could make the playoffs this entire time, I saw the playoffs out of the picture when they lost to WAS. And if they did win that game they'd still be in the playoff race.

I suck at math but I still think probability was on the side of the Leafs making the playoffs verus a bottom 3 finish (i.e. different than making playoffs v. not making playoffs) as of March 7th. When you take into account the records of the teams above and below the Leafs as well as the Leafs record at the time, I would think it would've been more likely to make the playoffs vs. the continued losing streak. So yeah, now it's more likely they finish in bottom 3 but I doubt it was on March 7th. Though I'm sure the most likely scenario would be them standing pat or moving up or down one position.

Regardless of the probabilities, if the Leafs are 5 points out w/ 16 games left next year, I'd still vote the same. I was likely wrong to believe that playoffs were that much more likely then a bottom 3 finish but if my team is on the doorstep then I'd rather see a good run and them make the playoffs.[/quote]
Now, if your out of a playoff spot by 5 points and you are 3 points out of the bottom 3 (as of march 7th), which do you think is more likely of happening, Making the playoffs or finishing in the bottom 3? As for factoring in the win-loss record of other teams, well, that would take to much time.
Brew666
Junior

Post#27 » by Brew666 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm

There were 7 pts ahead of MTL on Mar 7th not 3 pts.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#28 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Fail 4 Nail
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,958

Post#29 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Who's going to finish lower, Raps or Leafs? I can't wait to hear Burke try and explain what went wrong.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#30 » by LLJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Leafs sure look more tanktastic than the Raps. The Raps still win about 1 out of every 3 or 4 games. This Leafs slide is epic.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs