Leafs Offseason Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#41 » by YogiStewart » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:06 pm

if i were the Oilers, I'd do that trade with the Leafs and try to get them to take Khabibulin for cap relief.
TBH, the Oilers would only take Schenn if they think he wasn't living up to his potential. one can argue that we're clearly seeing his potential.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#42 » by whysoserious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:01 pm

YogiStewart wrote:if i were the Oilers, I'd do that trade with the Leafs and try to get them to take Khabibulin for cap relief.
TBH, the Oilers would only take Schenn if they think he wasn't living up to his potential. one can argue that we're clearly seeing his potential.

One can argue it, one can also argue the other way. There is no definitive answer on him yet. I think teams may see the potential more than 'he is what it is'. Wilson could be seen as the wrong coach to develop him and get him in a different situation and he'll blossom.

If I'm the Leafs, I'd consider taking Khabibulin off their hands but then wouldn't give up as much straight up.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#43 » by sanity » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:47 pm

If I'm the Oilers I'd probably want Gardiner or nothing at all from the Leafs blueline. We're more desperate for their pick than they are trying to shed salary. I don't think they'll be seriously pushing for FAs or competing at least for another 2-3 years----though they do have a very nice core of young talent in the works (better than ours at least).

If we do take Khabibulin, I'm kind of afraid what Burke will have to do to move Komie's salary lol or what he'll try to pull for another scoring forward.

Galchenyuk seems to be what a lot of mocks have us going for--which I don't mind. I think we'll end up with a decent player regardless unless Burke has a massive hard-on for the American born player slated in the top 10 who shouldn't be going top 5
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,477

Post#44 » by Bankai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:04 am

I am not a hockey nut but I do follow the Leafs at times. I am on the belief that you are a good goalie if you have no less than a .900% save percentage. Despite this, the Leafs Goalies are still giving up about 3 GAA. I think to myself how is this possible? And then it hit me that this can happen if their is too many shots on goal that the goalie is forced to save. So many, that a couple are just bound to get though and in. My conclusion is that.... the defense is bad. The defensemen must leave our Goalies wide open so often that they opposing team has a field day sniping shots at them at an alarming rate. Of course I wouldnt mind a Corey Schneider on this team at all. But I dont think Goalie for the most part has been the biggest issue. Simply put, we need quality defenseman. I suspect guys like Schenn, and Phaneuf not being a pylon when I saw someone like Lovejoy (Pens) dive on pucks and aggressively place himself on the Goalies weak side. Am I on to something or am I giving the Goalies a little too much credit?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#45 » by Nolan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:14 am

sanity wrote:If I'm the Oilers I'd probably want Gardiner or nothing at all from the Leafs blueline. We're more desperate for their pick than they are trying to shed salary. I don't think they'll be seriously pushing for FAs or competing at least for another 2-3 years----though they do have a very nice core of young talent in the works (better than ours at least).

Been reading the last couple posts and I was about to throw that out there. Schenn could be solid but his cap hit just doesn't make it worthwhile for us. Gardiner and #5 would do it for me but i'm all for us targeting Murray and he'll be off the board by 5.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#46 » by whysoserious » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:04 pm

I know people are down on Schenn and I know he doesn't have the offensive skill/vision of Gardiner or skating ability (and I totally understand teams wanting Gardiner) but I can't see how Schenn and number 5 for number 1 is not good value.

Schenn makes 3.5 million if i'm not mistake, he's young and a previous top 10 selection himself along with the fifth pick.

If it's gonna cost Gardiner, I'd rather keep the pick and move Schenn in a deal for JVR or someone else. If I'm gonna move Gardiner then I'd make the move for an established first line Center type deal. Not saying Staal's available but I'd put Gardiner in a package for him before I move him for a number 1 pick.
KayJay_02
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#47 » by KayJay_02 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:08 pm

whysoserious wrote:I know people are down on Schenn and I know he doesn't have the offensive skill/vision of Gardiner or skating ability (and I totally understand teams wanting Gardiner) but I can't see how Schenn and number 5 for number 1 is not good value.

Schenn makes 3.5 million if i'm not mistake, he's young and a previous top 10 selection himself along with the fifth pick.

If it's gonna cost Gardiner, I'd rather keep the pick and move Schenn in a deal for JVR or someone else. If I'm gonna move Gardiner then I'd make the move for an established first line Center type deal. Not saying Staal's available but I'd put Gardiner in a package for him before I move him for a number 1 pick.

TBH, I dont think we need Yakupov. I think we need Galenchyuk, a center, who has the potential to become one of the games best two-way players. Like you said, I would rather trade schenn for JVR.
KayJay_02
Banned User

Post#48 » by KayJay_02 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:18 pm

IMO, this whole team needs to be changed. Our top 6 isnt that big, and our bottom six doesnt even have that much grit.
leafsfan89
Freshman

Post#49 » by leafsfan89 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:17 am

anybody take a look at Craig Button's pre-draft rankings?

He's got Galchenyuk at 5 which i think is reasonable. But I never expected Dumba to be number 2, and at the same time Ryan Murray out of the top 10! Another surprise is Grigorenko at 14!? And Malcolm Subban at 10? He must be a really good goalie to be in the top 10.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#50 » by whysoserious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Subban's been flying up the rankings lately. Getting a lot of buzz. He's probably better suited to go late in the first round but he's getting a lot of buzz for sure.

BTW, i'd pretty much swap Schenn brothers if that was an option.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#51 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Button must be out of his mind if he thinks Murray and Grigorenko drop that far.
KayJay_02
Banned User

Post#52 » by KayJay_02 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 pm

leafsfan89 wrote:anybody take a look at Craig Button's pre-draft rankings?

He's got Galchenyuk at 5 which i think is reasonable. But I never expected Dumba to be number 2, and at the same time Ryan Murray out of the top 10! Another surprise is Grigorenko at 14!? And Malcolm Subban at 10? He must be a really good goalie to be in the top 10.

WOW! There is no way Columbus doesnt take Grigorenko at second, and Murray will probably go 3rd or 4th. And really, I dont see Gally being there 5th overall. 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Murray/Gally 4. Gally/Murray (if available) or Dumba. But at 4th if Gally is available, i think he will be taken by the islanders.
KayJay_02
Banned User

Post#53 » by KayJay_02 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 pm

whysoserious wrote:Subban's been flying up the rankings lately. Getting a lot of buzz. He's probably better suited to go late in the first round but he's getting a lot of buzz for sure.

BTW, i'd pretty much swap Schenn brothers if that was an option.

Who wouldnt? I never really knew Schenn was that physical, but both brothers cant fight. Lol.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#54 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 pm

KayJay_02 wrote:

WOW! There is no way Columbus doesnt take Grigorenko at second, and Murray will probably go 3rd or 4th. And really, I dont see Gally being there 5th overall. 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Murray/Gally 4. Gally/Murray (if available) or Dumba. But at 4th if Gally is available, i think he will be taken by the islanders.

Columbus is likely going to take Murray instead of Grigorenko.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#55 » by whysoserious » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:19 pm

KayJay_02 wrote:Who wouldnt? I never really knew Schenn was that physical, but both brothers cant fight. Lol.

Neither really should be an enforcer type, but in Lukes case, to be a shut down defensemen he's probably gonna find himself in more situations where he has to fight. Although the last month, Brayden's been mixing it up big-time.

I'm wondering if we can expand the rumoured Schenn for JVR deal to include Brayden. I know Philly's probably not looking to move him, but if we can get him that would be pretty sweet for us going forward.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#56 » by YogiStewart » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I take quotes like this that the game has passed Brian Burke by. at the very least, Maple Leafs' fans should be prepared for a team that's more physical and with less finesse. Burke's implied that he liked the headhunting, rock 'em sock 'em hockey.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393538

This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock," Burke told USA Today. "Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history....what I see is great hockey. It's awesome.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#57 » by whysoserious » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 am

YogiStewart wrote:I take quotes like this that the game has passed Brian Burke by. at the very least, Maple Leafs' fans should be prepared for a team that's more physical and with less finesse. Burke's implied that he liked the headhunting, rock 'em sock 'em hockey.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393538

This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock," Burke told USA Today. "Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history....what I see is great hockey. It's awesome.

Maybe, but all the teams he's built over they years have also had highly offensively talented players too. He just hasn't added the toughness he talks about to the teams that he's always had too to the Leafs. It's not as though he believes in the old NJ model of slow the game down, trap and hope you beat teams 1-0 with a great goalie.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#58 » by whysoserious » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 am

With the way Quick is playing, does Bernier become available. He hasn't played as much as Schneider and is still highly touted as a prospect but might come cheaper than trying to get Luongo or Schneider.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#59 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Morgan Rielly @ 4?
And five defenseman not named Mathew Dumba going ahead of Ryan Murray?

I also have a tough time believing that the Habs don't take Mikhail Grigorenko if he is on the board.

Subban @ 10 seems logical but some team is going to do well later in the first or early in the second as I just dont think the talent difference between Subban and Dansk or Vasilevski is that massive.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#60 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Crowned wrote:
KayJay_02 wrote:

Columbus is likely going to take Murray instead of Grigorenko.

Over Dumba?
I think the Coats take the best forward on the board @ 2 and IMHO that's Grigorenko but if they opt for a blueliner I think that there is at least a debate between Dumba and Murray.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs