Moderator: Crowned

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Re: My thought: Leafs will go after Tim Thomas 

Post#21 » by YogiStewart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Drake_02 wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:Burke thinks the Leafs are contenders every bloody year. he's the one making the trade, not me. I'm convinced that the future doesn't look all that bright for Toronto. its D is overrated. an above average goalie will knock off 1/2 to 1 goal a game. so yeah, they need some big help.

By the way, Steve Simmonds basically shares my sentiments that i posted earlier today about Luongo (who Leaf fans, not me, want) and he gives his take on Thomas.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/25/le ... ns-limited

so why don't you share what you think Thomas's value is? 1 year left. he's a rental goalie that declined in the last 1/3 of this season.

I understand where you're coming from, but Thomas probably won't help Reimer. Of course Thomas will teH him little things about the pressure, but he won't teach reimer how to play his (Reimer) style. Thomas plays a stupid style, and well, Reimer doesn't. If your going to get a veteran to help the young guy, then Get a veteran that has played reimers style and has done well playing that style.

i think "help" means that TT will split games like he did with Rask this year. put TT in net for 50 games and let Reimer play 34. That's how he'll learn.
and if Reimer outplays TT, then you bench TT and you don't care. he's gone at the end of the year.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#22 » by Crowned » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:55 am

Better thought; roll with a healthy Reimer next year, call up Scrivens (who is going to be better than Reimer anyways) and use the money to address areas of need elsewhere.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#23 » by YogiStewart » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Crowned wrote:Better thought; roll with a healthy Reimer next year, call up Scrivens (who is going to be better than Reimer anyways) and use the money to address areas of need elsewhere.

Scrivens is an RFA. has to be re-signed (which should be easy).

while i do agree with your assessment and logic, I think that move declares that the Leafs will be battling for 7-12 spot again next year.
Burke doesn't want that. he wants 4-8.
Drake_02
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Drake_02 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Id rather take Luongo or Vokun over Thomas.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#25 » by UN-Owen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 pm

YogiStewart wrote:Burke thinks the Leafs are contenders every bloody year. he's the one making the trade, not me. I'm convinced that the future doesn't look all that bright for Toronto. its D is overrated. an above average goalie will knock off 1/2 to 1 goal a game. so yeah, they need some big help.

By the way, Steve Simmonds basically shares my sentiments that i posted earlier today about Luongo (who Leaf fans, not me, want) and he gives his take on Thomas.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/25/le ... ns-limited

so why don't you share what you think Thomas's value is? 1 year left. he's a rental goalie that declined in the last 1/3 of this season.

If he's traded during the summer...he will have been about 13 months removed from winning the Conn Smythe

It's tough to hypothesis what his value might be since we don't know for sure yet if Boston will look to move him

Having said that...I could see Boston landing a 1st rounder and a 2nd line calibre player for him

Maybe Grabovski and a 1st rounder...

Something along those lines

However, since I don't think the Leafs are remotely close to being a contender...I likely wouldn't part with the necessary assets to acquire him
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#26 » by whysoserious » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Giving up Grabo and a first rounder for a one year rental would be absolutely horrible. If that's the price, you're better of rolling with one of your unprovens. I'd give that up for say Luongo who at least has 5 good years left, or alter and increase the trade for a Bernier/Schneider.

The most I'd give up to get Thomas would be a second rounder. He had a very average second half, he did the white house thing and it may or may not have had an impact on the team but it was a distraction, he just got knocked out by the Capitals and he's so much older. Plus he plays a style that can be successful if he's mentally in it but if he's not, he looks horrible.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#27 » by Drake_02 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

There's so many options out there, like Bernier,Luongo,Schneider Etc. I would take any of those guys over TT.
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#28 » by UN-Owen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:00 pm

whysoserious wrote:Giving up Grabo and a first rounder for a one year rental would be absolutely horrible. If that's the price, you're better of rolling with one of your unprovens. I'd give that up for say Luongo who at least has 5 good years left, or alter and increase the trade for a Bernier/Schneider.

The most I'd give up to get Thomas would be a second rounder. He had a very average second half, he did the white house thing and it may or may not have had an impact on the team but it was a distraction, he just got knocked out by the Capitals and he's so much older. Plus he plays a style that can be successful if he's mentally in it but if he's not, he looks horrible.

Don't focus on Grabovski per se

I was just using him as an example as the 2nd line caliber player the Bruins would likely seek

Keep in mind, any team acquiring Thomas probably sees themselves a legit Cup contender...so the 1st rounder wouldn't be anywhere near the top 10

But here's a list of players that were traded for either a 1st or 2nd rounder at the last deadline:

Paul Goldstad + 4th = 1st
Johnny Oduya = 2nd + 3rd
Andrei Kostitsyn = 2nd + cond. 5th
Ben Bishop = 2nd
Antoine Vermette = 2nd + 5th + goalie prospect
Marek Zdlicky = 2nd + 3rd + 3 players
Kyle Quincey = 1st + player
Pavel Kubina = 2nd + 4th + player
Hal Gill = 2nd + 2 players
Dominic Moore = 2nd
Nicklas Grossman = 2nd + 3rd

Still think Thomas is only worth a 2nd rounder?
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#29 » by whysoserious » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 pm

I know what you're saying, and that's why it would make no sense for us to make that trade. At the deadline everyone overpays. I know if I was running a team, I wouldn't give up more than a second rounder for an aging vet goalie like him. Maybe as you said if you were close to contending, you give up that late first rounder. Detroit for example might be in a position to do that.

But the Leafs shouldn't be going anywhere near him and certainly shouldn't be considering giving up assets for a player like him with still so many holes.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#30 » by Drake_02 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm

No, I, and many others do not want Tim Thomas in a Leafs uniform next year.
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#31 » by UN-Owen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 pm

whysoserious wrote:I know what you're saying, and that's why it would make no sense for us to make that trade. At the deadline everyone overpays. I know if I was running a team, I wouldn't give up more than a second rounder for an aging vet goalie like him. Maybe as you said if you were close to contending, you give up that late first rounder. Detroit for example might be in a position to do that.

But the Leafs shouldn't be going anywhere near him and certainly shouldn't be considering giving up assets for a player like him with still so many holes.

If you read my posts in this thread...I haven't supported the idea of the Leafs trading for Thomas

I just took exception to the claim that he's only worth a 2nd rounder
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#32 » by whysoserious » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 pm

I know you weren't advocating it, and I get your point. And we're on the same page as cars as the Leafs not pursuing him. I just don't think even if I was a contender I'd give up much for a 38 year old goaltender that had a great run but has been so-so the past few months.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#33 » by Drake_02 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:59 pm

IMO, Thomas really isn't worth something that is even remotely important to your franchise, especially in the Leafs case.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#34 » by Relentless88 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Crowned wrote:Better thought; roll with a healthy Reimer next year, call up Scrivens (who is going to be better than Reimer anyways) and use the money to address areas of need elsewhere.

What makes you say that?
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Crowned » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:56 am

Relentless88 wrote:

What makes you say that?

I may have been a tad exaggerative in the sense that he'll be better, but I think Scrivens has a ton of potential, enough potential that he very well could be better. He shows such poise and control, and has had very little professional experience. Going with the two next year will be cap-friendly, and it'll show confidence in them...something Jonas or Reimer didn't recieve last season.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#36 » by Drake_02 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Crowned wrote:
Relentless88 wrote:

What makes you say that?

I may have been a tad exaggerative in the sense that he'll be better, but I think Scrivens has a ton of potential, enough potential that he very well could be better. He shows such poise and control, and has had very little professional experience. Going with the two next year will be cap-friendly, and it'll show confidence in them...something Jonas or Reimer didn't recieve last season.

Scrivens doesn't have that much potential. He is going to be a NHL goaltender, probably a backup. Don't get me wrong, he has looked great in his SHORT time in the NHL, but just not a big enough sample size.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#37 » by Relentless88 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Crowned wrote:
Relentless88 wrote:

What makes you say that?

I think Burke showed confidence in Jonas/Reimer. He said throughout the season that he was content with the 2 and supported them for most of the season. Then when the collapse started, he said he might be looking for a goaltender a few days before the deadline.

Hopefully one of Reimer/Scrivens can establish themselves as a starting goalie, but right now I'm not convinced. Though, I obviously don't know much about these guys other than the few NHL games they've played (Scrivens in particular). Hopefully you're right and Scrivens can emerge as that goalie we desperately need.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#38 » by Drake_02 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:21 pm

I really hope Reimers bad season has something to do with him being a sophomore.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Crowned » Tue May 1, 2012 6:57 pm

Scrivens doesn't have that much potential. He is going to be a NHL goaltender, probably a backup. Don't get me wrong, he has looked great in his SHORT time in the NHL, but just not a big enough sample size.[/quote]

...and you're basing that off of what exactly? You're saying he doesn't have much potential because he doesn't have NHL experience? That makes zero sense.

Let's hear your reasoning behind that statement. Sorry, I get a little annoyed when people say young prospects have no potential when they haven't seen them play.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#40 » by Drake_02 » Tue May 1, 2012 8:31 pm

I may have been a tad exaggerative in the sense that he'll be better, but I think Scrivens has a ton of potential, enough potential that he very well could be better. He shows such poise and control, and has had very little professional experience. Going with the two next year will be cap-friendly, and it'll show confidence in them...something Jonas or Reimer didn't recieve last season.[/quote]
Scrivens doesn't have that much potential. He is going to be a NHL goaltender, probably a backup. Don't get me wrong, he has looked great in his SHORT time in the NHL, but just not a big enough sample size.[/quote]

...and you're basing that off of what exactly? You're saying he doesn't have much potential because he doesn't have NHL experience? That makes zero sense.

Let's hear your reasoning behind that statement. Sorry, I get a little annoyed when people say young prospects have no potential when they haven't seen them play.[/quote]
Because if the Leafs thought he was going to be a future number one goalie, they proably would have asked Eakins to play him more than 33 games.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs