ImageImageImage

Is Dion Phaneuf the right captain for the Leafs?

Moderator: Crowned

Drake_02
Banned User
And1: 0

Is Dion Phaneuf the right captain for the Leafs? 

Post#1 » by Drake_02 » Wed May 2, 2012 9:11 pm

I think with the C on his shoulder, he doesn't play his game. I think he feels like he needs to make the right play every time, and he tries to be that leader and focus on other peoples game more than he does with his own game. He needs to focus on himself and his game to make it the best it can be.

But here's a great video on Phaneufs season:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2012/05/0 ... ght-video/
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Is Dion Phaneuf the right captain for the Leafs? 

Post#2 » by Crowned » Thu May 3, 2012 3:50 am

I don't think there's anyone on the current roster that'd be an appropriate fit. Someone like Armstrong might be an option, but I don't think he'd be here long term. From what I've heard, he holds a lot of players accountable in practices and in the dressing room...which I love.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#3 » by whysoserious » Thu May 3, 2012 2:05 pm

I think Armstrong was brought in specifically to support Dion in that role and he's great. The problem for him is the amount of injuries. You can't really lead the team when you're in the press box. He's doing the right things.

I think the Leafs should have got a veteran to take the C role early on and made Phaneuf an assistant so he can learn. Gary Roberts type would be ideal. Either way, he's the C now and they need to get him some support.
Drake_02
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Drake_02 » Fri May 4, 2012 11:07 pm

Phaneuf can't play his style. His style is an aggressive one. With the C on his shoulder, I really think he can't be aggressive.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#5 » by TNBT » Fri May 25, 2012 7:37 am

I'm a Blackhawks fan and the mod on their forum, but I have a soft spot for the Leafs. I've always been a huge fan of Phaneuf, but I have to agree with a lot of what has been said here. He has always been an aggressive player who runs on emotions, which I don't feel is really suited to the captain role. In my opinion, a captain should ideally be more cool and calm and level-headed. I don't know who else on the Leafs roster could fill the position, but I think that finding someone to fill that role and taking the C off Phaneuf's chest would likely "release" him in some ways, and he could play better as a result.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs