Scott Machado

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JBautista
Sophomore
And1: 26

Scott Machado 

Post#1 » by JBautista » Tue May 22, 2012 2:31 am

If you were an NBA team where do you draft him? I see him as a good fit for the Jazz at 47th pick if he is still there. He led the NCAA in assists, and the Jazz need that distributing point guard for the future for all their bigs. It's not like a second rounder could be considered a huge bust, so I think it would be a safe pick. What are your thoughts?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Scott Machado 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Tue May 22, 2012 5:14 am

i think if given the same opportunity, he'll be better than kendall marshall.
he'd be a first rounder in this PG starved draft if he went to a different school.
i'd have no problem with a team taking him early 30s.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 970

Post#3 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed May 23, 2012 9:38 am

If the Hawks steal him in the 2nd, then we could move Teague to the 6th man. I like him a lot.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#4 » by princeofpalace » Wed May 23, 2012 12:07 pm

I worry about his size, but Id take him for Detroit at #44 if he's still there. Chad Ford thinks hes on the first round bubble- the talent is there but I worry about his size on the next level.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#5 » by whatchaknow » Wed May 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I got an Eric maynor feel when I watched the highlights of machado, a little better passer maybe... Am I way off base or is that a legit comparison? Who do you guys see him comparing to? I'm interested cuz of how weak the pg class is
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,516

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 23, 2012 6:11 pm

It really seems like the difference between him and Marshall on the board comes down to "Bad conference + senior so he has to be worse"
nugzin2040
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#7 » by nugzin2040 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:45 pm

I like him a lot. Athletically, I'm worried a bit about whether he can defend some of the better PG's in the league. As far as Marshall goes, I see him as a better floor general, similar athlete... but Machado is a better shooter. So overall, don't see the massive difference between the two players.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a team take a shot on him in the late 1st round (27-30 range)
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 pm

i think he's better off the bounce than marshall. he can use his off-hand (actually favors it) and has a better first step.
he's a better shooter as well. i dont think he's bad athletically. i do have concerns about his defensive ability, but mainly because the defensive schemes he played in were gimmicky and ineffective. he has a lot to learn on that end of the floor.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,158

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed May 23, 2012 7:10 pm

If we don't take a PG in the first round (I am not sold on Marshall or Lillard), I would take him with Blazers pick at 40.

I might even package a pick (with cash? bench players?) to try and move up, maybe a trade with Cleveland for #34.
JBautista
Sophomore

Post#10 » by JBautista » Wed May 23, 2012 8:53 pm

As a Raptors fan I really hope they do take him. We need someone other than Bayless, and Calderon's just aging. This guy has some crazy work ethic and is so competitive.
neiiru_3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#11 » by neiiru_3 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:11 am

I watched him at Siena, he's very good. Whoever needs a pure point guard needs to draft Machado. He's a pass first PG. Can hit the long ball. Just on the small size. He will be a solid back up PG at least.
Superiorblogman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Superiorblogman » Fri May 25, 2012 3:30 am

He could be the best assist guy in the draft, could be even better than Marshall but he is being overrated in this particular thread because guys are failing to realize that the guy could never maintain a 2to1 assist to TO ratio until he was a junior playing in a weak conference. For all the great hope Jeremy Lin gave the Knicks the real analyst that were not blinded could not get over how much he turned the ball over.

In conclusion I think he is another player that benefited from staying in college 4 years and is likely nothing more than a solid backup.
JBautista
Sophomore

Post#13 » by JBautista » Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Superiorblogman wrote:He could be the best assist guy in the draft, could be even better than Marshall but he is being overrated in this particular thread because guys are failing to realize that the guy could never maintain a 2to1 assist to TO ratio until he was a junior playing in a weak conference. For all the great hope Jeremy Lin gave the Knicks the real analyst that were not blinded could not get over how much he turned the ball over.

In conclusion I think he is another player that benefited from staying in college 4 years and is likely nothing more than a solid backup.

I don't think you can call him overrated if he gets the most assist AND is projected to be mid 2nd round. If he's picked in the 2nd round, a solid back up isn't bad.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#14 » by UnderdogKnicks » Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I hope he comes home cause I know he wants to. :D
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#15 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 pm

nugzin2040 wrote:I like him a lot. Athletically, I'm worried a bit about whether he can defend some of the better PG's in the league. As far as Marshall goes, I see him as a better floor general, similar athlete... but Machado is a better shooter. So overall, don't see the massive difference between the two players.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a team take a shot on him in the late 1st round (27-30 range)

Hey its not like Marshall is a great defender
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#16 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 am

Discouraging list for nba perspectives of pass-first pgs

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/lea ... early.html
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#17 » by ManualRam » Mon May 28, 2012 3:20 pm

shaolin wrote:Discouraging list for nba perspectives of pass-first pgs

it's not that simple. how many of those guys were quick enough to be NBA players? strong enough? good enough shooters? good enough off the bounce to beat NBA level defenders?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#18 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm

ManualRam wrote:
shaolin wrote:Discouraging list for nba perspectives of pass-first pgs

it's not that simple

It seldom is. The fact of the matter is that, although it is arbitrary and incomplete to approach so, Machado's highligts left a positive impression on me.

Above all, he seems to be playing the game with a great amount of confidence, a true floor general. That sentiment is cemeted in watching his interviews where he displays that same leadership, confidence and "bigger picture" type analysis/response. Good iq, good approach to the game.
Now will all of this translate to the next left is the main question. The intangibles ought to.
Hopefully blazers get him.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#19 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:51 pm

I understand the whole weak conference stats and not showing up until his senior year making him a bust concern, but is Machado an "upside" prospect or is it just me? Machado and Marshall had the two highest apg seasons since 95. What if they're just freaks and end up in that Miller Rubio zone of "It doesn't matter whether they have holes in their game and physical talent, they just see the game better than everyone else". I'm not saying it's a lock they're in that 99th percentile for court vision passing talent, but isn't it at least a lot more plausible than everyone else from 20 down becoming a standout. Do teams really see more upside in a guys like Marquis Teague and Tyshawn Taylor, the 550th and 551st athletic combo guards who are neither consistent shooters or passers. I actually see Machado as one of the ultimate high upside, at a small cost/risk picks if goes late 1st or in the 2nd. If I had to pick a guy who goes 25+ and makes an all-star team and causes a lot of GMs to hang their head in shame for a long time, Machado would prob be my pick
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 1, 2012 8:06 pm

Solid Machado video of the BYU game

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5E7YdMHnw[/youtube]

Some really nifty/impressive stuff in there IMO. Through traffic, bounce passes, behind the back on the break, etc. He resembles Rubio a lot more than Calderon in terms of the actual difficulty/impressiveness of passes. Not some pick and pop 9 times a game type of high assist PG

Return to NBA Draft