Joe Johnson: Why Teams Like Hawks Are in Lose-Lose Situation

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Joe Johnson: Why Teams Like Hawks Are in Lose-Lose Situation 

Post#1 » by _BBIB_ » Sun May 27, 2012 1:16 am

Everyone is on the record saying how much the Hawks overpaid to get Joe Johnson

But if you don't pay your players and you let them walk, fans complain that the team is too cheap.

And here's the funny thing, the ultimate goal is to win a championship, and the reality of the NBA is that it's the sport with the least amount of parity out of all sports because you essentially need a superstar to win a championship. (Maybe there will be one more exception or two in the next 30 years like it was the past 30, then again maybe not since they extend all rounds to 7 games making it even more unlikely)

So if we establish

A)That it takes a superstar to win a championship
B)Those superstar players don't grow on trees

Then why should a team be criticized so much for doing the next best thing which is maximizing the amount of success they can have without a superstar, whether if that's 2nd round or conference finals, or a hope to be that next exception to the rule ensemble cast that's once in a few decades?

You see everybody can easily say X player isn't worth his contract

But you get crickets from those same people when you ask them what alternative did that team have

What alternative does an Indiana, Atlanta, Philly, etc have if they don't have a superstar?

The fact of the matter is most cities don't have what it takes to win a championship because of how
few superstars are in this league. Which is why a little over a handful of teams have won a championship in the last 3+ decades
Shaheen wrote:You wanna make a sig bet that Horford will not win this year? They will not even hit .500. Book it.
:lol:
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Re: Joe Johnson: Why Teams Like Hawks Are in Lose-Lose Situa 

Post#2 » by JordansBulls » Sun May 27, 2012 2:20 am

I agree. The Hawks best stars have been Pettit (50 years ago), Dominique (20 years ago), Dikembe (15 years ago and Steve Smith 15 years ago). Since then it has been Joe Johnson.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#3 » by G35 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:26 am

I agree. People think anyone can be a star and carry a team. There are really only maybe 3-5 true stars in the league at any one time......
I'm so tired of the typical......
hollabackitsobi
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#4 » by hollabackitsobi » Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 am

Good thread. I'm actually one who has talked crap about the Joe Johnson contract but when you put it like this it makes sense.
Florida Gators & Phoenix Suns

We R Orng (& Blue)
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,301

Post#5 » by BodieB » Sun May 27, 2012 2:45 am

If they hadn't screwed up a bunch of drafts the need to overpay Johnson wouldn't have been necessary.
ClayDavis
Head Coach
And1: 104

Post#6 » by ClayDavis » Sun May 27, 2012 2:48 am

BodieB wrote:If they hadn't screwed up a bunch of drafts the need to overpay Johnson wouldn't have been necessary.

Cp3 Johnson smooth horford. That team owns the east
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#7 » by Eoghan » Sun May 27, 2012 2:48 am

_BBIB_ wrote:What alternative does an Indiana, Atlanta, Philly, etc have if they don't have a superstar?

Blow your team up like the Bobcats and rebuild through the draft, hoping to draft a superstar or two. Atlanta and Philly are definitely treadmill teams. Indiana might have enough bottled lightning in Hibbert and George to build around.
samueldestroyer
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#8 » by samueldestroyer » Sun May 27, 2012 3:01 am

Oklahoma City has three stars... It's because they made the RIGHT PICKS
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun May 27, 2012 3:03 am

ClayDavis wrote:
BodieB wrote:If they hadn't screwed up a bunch of drafts the need to overpay Johnson wouldn't have been necessary.

Drafting CP3 = No Horford.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
samueldestroyer
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#10 » by samueldestroyer » Sun May 27, 2012 3:05 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

Oh come on... please.. your telling me that Horford is that valuable. Thats the best one I've read all day.
JDizzel3000
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#11 » by JDizzel3000 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:05 am

idk ...if another team was willing to give JJ 120?? million and it was my team that had the option to match i wouldnt be mad at all if they didnt ...i mean you have to be real sure about a guy or your teams ability to win a championship to give up that kind of dough
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,953

Post#12 » by tsherkin » Sun May 27, 2012 3:06 am

ClayDavis wrote:Cp3 Johnson smooth horford. That team owns the east

Replace JJ with an efficient guard, and now we're talking. Joe Johnson is kind of ass-tastic as a primary scoring threat. He's rocking a career 52.9% TS and he's been under 54% in all but one of his 7 years with the Hawks. He's much better-suited to the role he played in Phoenix, to be honest, he's really not an offensive anchor at all. Atlanta's been 12th, 29th, 16th, 10th, 2nd, 20th and 16th on offense in the years he's been there. Wildly inconsistent but generally below-average. The year they were awesome on O was the first (and best) of two years they had Jamal Crawford coming off of the bench as a sparkplug scorer and the healthiest and best season they've had from Horford. They were also remarkably stingy about giving up the ball, topping the league with the fewest turnovers. Then the Bucks took them seven games and they got obliterated by the Magic in a sweep where they scored over 84 points once (98) and under 76 twice (71 in the opener, 75 in game 3). Joe Johnson stank so bad, they smelled it on Mars, through the void of space. Rocking that 29.8% FG like a boss.

God, the Hawks are unpleasant to watch on offense and their iso ball falls apart against legit defenses. And Joe Johnson has no business being a #1 scoring option.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#13 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun May 27, 2012 3:06 am

Whether the Hawks signed Joe Johnson to a $120 million contract or not, they're not going to contend for a championship. They need major changes to the roster. Team should have built around Horford while they had the chance.
spudwebb
Sixth Man
And1: 2,195

Post#14 » by spudwebb » Sun May 27, 2012 3:07 am

Passing up Chris Paul for Marvin Williams and Roy or Gay for Shelden Williams and then saying they are in a lose lose situation?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#15 » by DEEP3CL » Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 am

But at the same time teams put themselves in that vice, I never saw Joe Johnson in the same echelon as the leagues top guns. Some teams do over pay when it comes to free agents. But not too many hard core ball fans will feel sorry for the Hawks.

The drafted poorly also, they should have drafted CP but didn't and it's still hurting them in a way.To me the main problem with the Hawks is how they're built. Too many guys on that team from their top 3 or 5 guys want to be the man. They chase the stats, you can clearly see it in their play. Until they balance that team, winning will be a problem.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,605

Post#16 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Sun May 27, 2012 3:14 am

as a Bucks fan I would kill to have the situation and sucess the Hawks have had the past few years, they aren't mediocre, the Bucks are. The Hawks are a good team which may not get better. The Bucks are a an average team that will stay average and out of the playoffs.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#17 » by Bertrob » Sun May 27, 2012 3:15 am

I'm pretty sure they'd still be making the playoffs and losing in the first round without Joe Johnson
some teams do have to overpay lesser talent, but that Joe Johnson contract is inexcusable
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#18 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun May 27, 2012 3:17 am

samueldestroyer wrote:
ElectricMayhem wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:Cp3 Johnson smooth horford. That team owns the east

Oh come on... please.. your telling me that Horford is that valuable. Thats the best one I've read all day.

Ummm....He wrote that a CP3/Johnson/Smith/Horford team would own the East. Maybe they would, but the simple fact remains, if they had drafted Paul, they wouldn't have Horford right now. And yes, taking away a borderline all-star does have some effect on that "dream team" whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#19 » by UnderdogKnicks » Sun May 27, 2012 3:18 am

I still wouldn't have signed Joe Johnson to that ridiculous contract because he ain't very good anyway and he isn't a star anymore. There are lots of ways to improve a team without having a star(which JJ is not) if the management is smart they would surround the team with a balance team offense and defense like the Pacers. For small markets u can't overpay players that aren't actually stars and make them out to be 1.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#20 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun May 27, 2012 3:41 am

Desperation

Return to The General Board