ImageImageImage

My Thought: The Leafs should sign Parise and Suter.

Moderator: Crowned

Hashtag
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#1 » by Hashtag » Mon May 28, 2012 3:47 pm

I think Parise is a better option than Nash. Both will probably be making 7 million a year. So with Parise, you just have to free up some cash and not get rid of good assets like you would have to with Nash. I understand Nash is a bigger forward, but Parise can play a little physical too.

With Suter you get what the Leafs need the most, a complete defenceman. This would take a lot of pressure of Phaneuf, and I think Phaneuf would excel with all that pressure of him. Again, you would need to clear up some cap space because he will probably get 7 million.

If the Leafs were to trade Connolly,Lombardi,Komisarek and Armstrong that would clear up 16 mill. Plus the 7 mill the leafs will have come july 1st (if they dont resign the 7 players going to UFA's pr RFA's) So if you add that up you get 23 mill. Say the Leafs sign them both for 7 mill per year, the leafs will have 9 mill to spend on any other players.

Obviously this is a stretch, but if the Leafs really want to become contenders for a while, this is the right step forward.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: My Thought: The Leafs should sign Parise and Suter. 

Post#2 » by whysoserious » Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 pm

So you want another smaller player up front?

As much as I think the Nash price will be too much, he gives this team the balance of skill and size up front sorely needed. He doesn't play the Center spot which is our weakness but he's a much better option than Parise at this point based on needs.

As for Suter, I'd love to get him but who's he displacing on the blue-line? Maybe they can work out a deal for Schenn for him and get him signed before he hits the market.
Hashtag
Banned User

Post#3 » by Hashtag » Mon May 28, 2012 11:07 pm

whysoserious wrote:So you want another smaller player up front?

As much as I think the Nash price will be too much, he gives this team the balance of skill and size up front sorely needed. He doesn't play the Center spot which is our weakness but he's a much better option than Parise at this point based on needs.

As for Suter, I'd love to get him but who's he displacing on the blue-line? Maybe they can work out a deal for Schenn for him and get him signed before he hits the market.

I know the size is the one bad thing with Parise, but with the assets you save, I think its worth it. Its not like hes Kessel, Parise does go to the dirty areas sometimes. As for suter, I think signing him will help get some flexibility to make a bigger deal and get a great young goalie, or a great young top six forward. I think the only problem is trying to get rid of the dead weight.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Tue May 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Parise is going to be severely overpaid and still doesn't address the needs of this team. You're now going to have a significant amount of money tied up in Kessel/Parise with no Center.
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#5 » by Ducksplatt » Tue May 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Hashtag wrote:I think Parise is a better option than Nash. Both will probably be making 7 million a year. So with Parise, you just have to free up some cash and not get rid of good assets like you would have to with Nash. I understand Nash is a bigger forward, but Parise can play a little physical too.

With Suter you get what the Leafs need the most, a complete defenceman. This would take a lot of pressure of Phaneuf, and I think Phaneuf would excel with all that pressure of him. Again, you would need to clear up some cap space because he will probably get 7 million.

If the Leafs were to trade Connolly,Lombardi,Komisarek and Armstrong that would clear up 16 mill. Plus the 7 mill the leafs will have come july 1st (if they dont resign the 7 players going to UFA's pr RFA's) So if you add that up you get 23 mill. Say the Leafs sign them both for 7 mill per year, the leafs will have 9 mill to spend on any other players.

Obviously this is a stretch, but if the Leafs really want to become contenders for a while, this is the right step forward.

I am not sure what team would actually trade for Connolly, Lombardi, Komisarek and Armstrong - especially with no money coming back to the Leafs.
Although it would be great having Parise/Suter, it does not address the needs of a goaltender and a big #1 centre.
Maybe if Burke moves out some other salaries but right now it does not fit with the current roster.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#6 » by Crowned » Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't care who we have on the blueline right now, I'd go all in for Suter. Players like him don't come around too often on the open market.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#7 » by UN-Owen » Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:03 am

Send Connolly and Komisarek to the minors
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:45 am

UN-Owen wrote:Send Connolly and Komisarek to the minors

keep in mind that a new CBA's due this summer. that loophole may be closed.
oh, and Komisarek has a no-movement clause. he cannot be sent to the minors.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#9 » by whysoserious » Fri Jun 1, 2012 2:38 pm

In a cap world, I don't know how Burke could give someone like Komisarek or anyone else no-movement clauses.

This should be reserved for maybe you're very best players in the league. If that was a deal breaker when he got Komisarek, he should have just moved on.

If you're going to sign guys like Komisarek, you need to keep the flexibility to send them to the minors should their contract become an albatross or they don't live up to what was expected. For a team like the Leafs, eating those salaries in the minors should be no problem.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#10 » by sanity » Sun Jun 3, 2012 7:48 pm

lol easier said than done. I'd love Suter though... but there is no chance we can afford a blueline making 70% of the roster's total salary with Komie and Phaneuf pulling in massive $.

We need a goaltender before we can really build towards anything imo.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#11 » by whysoserious » Mon Jun 4, 2012 12:04 am

I think I'd even be willing to trade Phaneuf if a team was willing to take him if we could land Suter.

What about making the Schenn for Van Riemsdyk deal (although I'd rather Schenn for Schenn but I know Philly won't do it) and then trying to sign Suter.

Send some of you're older guys that don't have no movement clauses down. I'd say it's important to approach Komi and ask him to waive it, see if he'd be willing to move on. In the right system, right team he can be effective but here it's just not gonna work.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#12 » by Crowned » Mon Jun 4, 2012 3:00 am

You don't pass on someone like Suter, because of some of the crap that we have on the current roster. If that's Burke's mentality heading into the offseason, and he isn't a player on Suter...we're in for a long ride.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#13 » by whysoserious » Mon Jun 4, 2012 12:13 pm

I agree Crowned, you have months to get your cap situation sorted out. Maybe a few GM's push for one or two amnesties coming out of the CBA negotiations. I think they should push hard for Suter, sign a vet goalie if they can't make a deal for Bernier/Luongo and let Scrivens run with the starting job.
Blessed
Banned User

Post#14 » by Blessed » Mon Jun 4, 2012 8:37 pm

Crowned wrote:You don't pass on someone like Suter, because of some of the crap that we have on the current roster. If that's Burke's mentality heading into the offseason, and he isn't a player on Suter...we're in for a long ride.

Agreed. I think they could trade one Connolly,Armstrong or even Lombardi because they all have one year left on their deal. And if the Leafs were to get Luongo, the Leafs would most likely be sending Komisarek to Vancouver. That should open up enough space to pay Suter. Also, Signing Suter, may attract Weber (assuming they are good friends).
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#15 » by whysoserious » Mon Jun 4, 2012 10:37 pm

Blessed wrote:
Crowned wrote:You don't pass on someone like Suter, because of some of the crap that we have on the current roster. If that's Burke's mentality heading into the offseason, and he isn't a player on Suter...we're in for a long ride.

Agreed. I think they could trade one Connolly,Armstrong or even Lombardi because they all have one year left on their deal. And if the Leafs were to get Luongo, the Leafs would most likely be sending Komisarek to Vancouver. That should open up enough space to pay Suter. Also, Signing Suter, may attract Weber (assuming they are good friends).

You're not likely going to land Suter and Weber and Luongo while you still have Phaneuf, Kessel and Grabo making the money they make. You have no contracts other teams want and are not giving up anything to help you unload a contract. Suter alone is a massive longshot but with a few moves you might be able to score that deal. Maybe you can work a deal for Luongo too but to land all three would take drastic moves.
Blessed
Banned User

Post#16 » by Blessed » Wed Jun 6, 2012 7:36 pm

There could be a huge overhaul this season. I think the potential for one is there. Names like Luongo, Nash, Getzlaf, D.Brown, JVR, J.Staal, Krecji (long shot), J.Schultz, Prust, Gaustad, Moen, Burish etc all could be available, not to mention Parise, and Suter. And the leafs have more than enough players they can ship out (not with ease) like Connolly, Komisarek, Armstrong, Lombardi, Liles, Bozak, Grabovski, MacArthur, Kulemin, Franson, Gustavsson (I guess his rights), Gunnerson, Schenn and prospects.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs