ImageImageImage

Luke Schenn traded to Philly

Moderator: Crowned

olu
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Luke Schenn traded to Philly 

Post#1 » by olu » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Just broke on TSN that Luke Schenn has been traded to Philly for James VAN RIEMSDYK
Never read the quoran or islamic scriptures, the only psalms i read is on the arms of my brothers
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Re: Luke Schenn traded to Philly 

Post#2 » by Relentless88 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd say it's a good deal for both sides.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,932

Post#3 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Schenn is another in a long line of promising defensemen we've ruined/run out of town. Gardiner will be next after Carlyle breaks him down.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#4 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:31 pm

He was baked here.

Love getting JvR.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#5 » by s e n s i » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:58 pm

fair deal. leafs needed size and a left-handed shot up front. that's likely the best haul we'd get for schenn straight up, who was speculated to not get along with dion. only concern is jvg's injury history. one team could end up getting fleeced, but deal will likely work out for both sides imo.

i never really had an attachment to schenn so i like this deal a lot. jvr's cap hit is as soft 4.25m for the next 6 years, which will be peanuts in a few years time if he stays healthy. one of macarthur, foolemin, and kadri are as expendable as ever.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 pm

I dig it. I find it funny that our D during the Wilson era fit Carlyle style of play, while now we're building the perfect Ron Wilson speed over power on the back end roster. lol
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:17 pm

I like Burke more than most,, but didn't he just say, less than 24 hours ago, that Holzer/Blacker et. al. weren't ready?

Still like this trade quite a bit. Schenn was quite pedestrian/tapped-out last year.

(Aulie and Schenn for Ashton and JvR)
:blank:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#8 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 pm

SharoneWright wrote:I like Burke more than most,, but didn't he just say, less than 24 hours ago, that Holzer/Blacker et. al. weren't ready?

Still like this trade quite a bit. Schenn was quite pedestrian last year.

(Aulie and Schenn for Ashton and JvR)
:blank:

I think Burke's one of those guys whose opinion changes as often as he opens his mouth.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#9 » by UN-Owen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:35 am

Solid deal for the Leafs

I was never very high on Schenn. He lacks the size needed to be a truly intimidating D-man

I'm sure Luke will love playing with his brother
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#10 » by Mattd97 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 am

outside of one playoff run JvR has been average at best. now well put him in a perfect position to fail even worse. bad trade.
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#11 » by whysoserious » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:04 am

I think this comes down to them taking a run at Schultz.

The deal is fair but I just feel like Schenn is going to become that reliable defensemen, a shut down guy in Philly. It was the one place I didn't want to see him traded. Pronger helping to mentor him along too.

JVR is better than what we got from Kulemin last year. Still doesn't address our C weaknesses or goalie weaknesses.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,786

Post#12 » by Lord_Zedd » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:34 am

With all the defencemen the Leafs have, it's obvious one of them will get traded. Both teams get what they want, Philly gets a defencemen and some form of stability on the blue line with Chris Pronger's status. Toronto gets one of Burke's coined top 6 forward (And a decent two way forward to boot).

Good trade for both teams and probably one of the best Burke trades.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#13 » by YogiStewart » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Mattd97 wrote:outside of one playoff run JvR has been average at best. now well put him in a perfect position to fail even worse. bad trade.

i'm not as pessimistic as you...i think there's hope for JvR, but i did have a good laugh when Philly re-upped him based on one good playoff run.
he had an injury-riddled last season, which should scare leaf fans. think of Connolley, but with a SIX YEAR contract. yikes.
i was never high on Schenn. guess he hit a lot. but that means nothing to me. dude has zero offensive game, zero point shot. so a one-dimensional player whose 1 dimension looked pretty bad last year.

i'd think the Leafs won this deal, except of the significant contract they get in return. if JvR sucks, you have him sucking for a long, long time.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#14 » by andyo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Great trade for the leafs, I was one of those people that would have traded Schenn straight up for JVR when the rumours were swirling about it earlier in the year. He has a cap hit of about 4.25mil for the next 6 years I believe, but that's a pretty good contract for a player of his value and upside.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#15 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Maybe Burke thinks the league is going to crack down on truculence and is loading up on skill?

JVR at 6 years with a concussion history and other celebrated injury woes v Schenn at 4 and confidence problems. Could be a disaster for us, because at worst Schenn is a 5/6 D man. At worst JVR is in the press box.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#16 » by whysoserious » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:08 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:outside of one playoff run JvR has been average at best. now well put him in a perfect position to fail even worse. bad trade.

i'm not as pessimistic as you...i think there's hope for JvR, but i did have a good laugh when Philly re-upped him based on one good playoff run.
he had an injury-riddled last season, which should scare leaf fans. think of Connolley, but with a SIX YEAR contract. yikes.
i was never high on Schenn. guess he hit a lot. but that means nothing to me. dude has zero offensive game, zero point shot. so a one-dimensional player whose 1 dimension looked pretty bad last year.

i'd think the Leafs won this deal, except of the significant contract they get in return. if JvR sucks, you have him sucking for a long, long time.

I'd only be worried about the contract if there's a no movement clause. You'll probably be able to still trade him in a few years if he doesn't develop or send him to the Marlies. He's still young enough that even in a few years, a team would probably take a chance at acquiring him if he hasn't developed here.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#17 » by CPT » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:43 pm

I think it's a decent trade, but I can't help but be disappointed that we came out of the draft weekend without a #1 Centre or #1 Goalie.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#18 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:44 pm

If it pans out for both clubs I think we win hands down. 30 goals with a two way player is more valuable than shut down D, but the risk is definitely greater on our end and Burke is likely not around to see the full extent of the fallout.

I feel like this is also Lupul insurance. Carlyle and Lupul didn't get along in Ahaheim and Joffrey is heading into UFA status. This could be a potentially messy situation. We potentially have his production at a cheaper cost, if we want to let him go or sell him now for something we need more of (grit, goaltending, leadership).
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#19 » by Crowned » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm very on the fence about this trade only because of the concussion issues. I wasn't a fan of Schenn's at all. I'm sure he'll end up being a good shutdown defenseman with Philly, but he was frustrating to watch at times. He needs to improve on his foot speed significantly to have any sort of impactful NHL career. He can hit all he wants, but that doesn't hide his weaknesses.

I've always liked JVR as a player, especially when he was drafted. I think he still has loads of potential, and staying healthy is going to help him reach that potential, so this season is going to be huge for him. He'll get plenty of ice time in important situations thoughout the year, so that'll continue his development.

If JVR stays healthy, we hit a homerun with this one.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#20 » by Crowned » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 pm

On a side note, I've heard rumblings that JVR may play center this season with the Leafs. If true, we just filled a massive hole in our lineup. I can't see it happening, but one can hope.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs