Why is there no love for Miles Plumlee?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Why is there no love for Miles Plumlee? 

Post#61 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 pm

7-Day Dray wrote:All I know is Miles Plumlee had a grand total of 3 highlights in his ESPN highlight reel, and he traveled in one of them. That's all I know.

LOL. Apparently solid defensive positioning doesn't excite the viewers.
FootballFan33
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#62 » by FootballFan33 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:31 pm

As always the average person is wrong where a player will land in the draft.

You can't teach height and 7' white guys with 40" are not easy to find.

If he sucks so will 90% + of players in this draft.

He never really got that much playing time at Duke so he'll probably be a better fit in the NBA as opposed to the guard oriented college game.
FootballFan33
Freshman

Post#63 » by FootballFan33 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:34 pm

If Miles was black and played for Kentucky he'd be a top 3 pick this year.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#64 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:39 pm

FootballFan33 wrote:If Miles was black and played for Kentucky he'd be a top 3 pick this year.

Strongly disagree here. Workout warriors of any color and his physical profile would never make it that far up. I was shocked that he snuck into the first fwiw.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#65 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:28 pm

FootballFan33 wrote:If Miles was black and played for Kentucky he'd be a top 3 pick this year.

His daunting 6 points and 7 boards a game leads me to believe that even if he was orange, he'd have played about as many minutes this year at Kentucky as Eloy Vargas.

Plumlee is a stiff and was on no ones draft board until he jumped out of the gym at the combine. Why that matters after 4 subpar years at Duke is a mystery best left to Kevin Pritchard.
Crowman
Junior

Post#66 » by Crowman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:27 am

Plumlee was a horrible pick for us id guarantee anyone he wont even see out his rookie deal with us
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#67 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 am

I don't think he was that much of a reach. He could easily become a Ryan Hollins caliber backup center.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#68 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:33 am

The funny thing is that even though he had a 40" vert at the combine, it doesn't translate into the games. You never saw him dunking on people at Duke.
FootballFan33
Freshman

Post#69 » by FootballFan33 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:12 am

Cammo101 wrote:

His daunting 6 points and 7 boards a game leads me to believe that even if he was orange, he'd have played about as many minutes this year at Kentucky as Eloy Vargas.

Plumlee is a stiff and was on no ones draft board until he jumped out of the gym at the combine. Why that matters after 4 subpar years at Duke is a mystery best left to Kevin Pritchard.

Yeah but a scrub that averages 11 points and 7 boards is a #2 pick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
FootballFan33
Freshman

Post#70 » by FootballFan33 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:14 am

Fab Melo averaged nothing, not as athletic, dumb as a rock and still got picked in the 1st round so why not plumlee?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#71 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:42 am

FootballFan33 wrote:Fab Melo averaged nothing, not as athletic, dumb as a rock and still got picked in the 1st round so why not plumlee?

Melo has upside. He is a raw sophomore who improved by leaps and bounds between his freshman and soph. season. Plumlee had 4 years of being subpar at Duke and never showed any kind of improvement. One guy is a work in progress, the other is a finish product.
Islander
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#72 » by Islander » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:13 am

Cammo101 wrote:Melo has upside. He is a raw sophomore who improved by leaps and bounds between his freshman and soph. season. Plumlee had 4 years of being subpar at Duke and never showed any kind of improvement. One guy is a work in progress, the other is a finish product.

Is being the draft's top offensive rebounder per minute and #1 rebounder per minute among all centers not showing improvement? Really?

Please show me your 6'11"/7'0" center with a 40" vertical, 12'2" max vertical reach, and who timed less than 10.64 in the NBA's agility drill.
Islander
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#73 » by Islander » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:14 am

The Pacers needed a backup C and Plumlee can fill that role at 6'11" 252 lbs. as well see minutes at PF due to his quick feet, agility and athleticism.

Plumlee tested as the most athletic big man in the history of the NBA combine. This is absolutely significant. 40.5" inch vertical with a max reach of 12'2". He timed a super quick 10.64 in the agility drill and 3.36 in the 3/4 sprint. These are much better athletic testing scores than Andre Drummond. For that matter, better athletic testing scores than most guards and forwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xdq34PaUE8

Don't let anyone tell you this guy doesn't have skills when the video clearly shows a smooth handle for a 7 footer (or any big forward for that matter) and textbook form on his jump shot. These are impressive skills for a big man that can be developed for a lengthy NBA career. NBA teams saw these skills in Plumlee's workouts and they were impressed. This guy will translate.

Also, rebounding ability happens to be one of the most important aspects of a big man and Plumlee is #1 among all center prospects in rebounds per minute including a 22 rebound game vs. Maryland this past season which is the most rebounds in a game by a Duke player in 40 years.

Rebounds per 40 minutes (pace adjusted):

Miles Plumlee 13.4

Tyler Zeller 12.4

Andre Drummond 10.8

Festus Ezeli 10.2

Fab Melo 9.3

Enough said!

In the second round, the Pacers drafted 6'4" Orlando Johnson who's an excellent sleeper prospect at shooting guard (19.7 points per game). Athletic leaper (39 inch vertical), strong build (223 lbs), long arms (6'11" wingspan), good passer (2.9 assists per game), fearless warrior in the paint and a great shooter (42% from three). Read about Orlando Johnson and you'll see. I give the Pacers a solid *A* grade for this draft.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#74 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:17 am

I think Indiana very well could've been impressed by his skill level more than some. He did hit 60% of his 2s and in the video I showed he looked pretty competent finishing down low to me
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#75 » by ManualRam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:28 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:I think Indiana very well could've been impressed by his skill level more than some. He did hit 60% of his 2s and in the video I showed he looked pretty competent finishing down low to me

that's because that is all he is on offense, a finisher.
he's strictly a garbage bucket guy on that end.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#76 » by noobcake » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:15 am

Miles has no offensive game.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#77 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:30 am

FWIW, Bird said that he sees Plumlee as a young Jeff Foster. Foster as you guys probably know, is a low skill PF/C who managed to carve out a 12 year career with his rebounding, defense, and hustle. He never played more than 26 mpg in a season, and even though he started a number of games for the Pacers, he probably was best used as a reserve. The most noteworthy thing about Jeff is that he was regularly at the top of the league in ORB%.

As a Pacer fan I wasn't a fan of the pick because I think there are higher upside players left on the board, but Bird went for the high floor big man (at least in his view). So our expectations for Plumlee are that he would rebound, defend, and hustle (screen, take charges, etc), and not much more. By most accounts it seems that Plumlee can do these things. Is that worth the 26 pick in this draft? I don't know and I suppose that's something Pacer fans will argue endlessly about in the next few years. But I do expect him to stick around for a while in this role.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#78 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:34 pm

remember when the Colts made the really horrible draft day decision and took Dwight Freeney at I think it was the 11th pick of the first round when all the pundits had him going much lower in the first round if that? sometimes you just need to take the guy you like best and not get into the game of trying to trade down and hope you can still get him. we wanted a Jeff Foster and that's what we got.

the draft gurus say that at the bottom of the first you pick for need and that if you get a solid rotation player you had a good draft. then when we went for need they say we should have gone for upside.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
LionOfLannister
Junior
And1: 7

Post#79 » by LionOfLannister » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 pm

coach K has been ruining big men for years. the end of the first is such a crapshoot that I see no problem with taking a project like him- even if he is decent he never would have been able to show it at duke. I think he will probably be a serviceable backup who does a lot of the little things like setting screens, grabbing offensive rebounds, and flopping.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#80 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jul 1, 2012 6:13 am

Wizop wrote:remember when the Colts made the really horrible draft day decision and took Dwight Freeney at I think it was the 11th pick of the first round when all the pundits had him going much lower in the first round if that? sometimes you just need to take the guy you like best and not get into the game of trying to trade down and hope you can still get him. we wanted a Jeff Foster and that's what we got.

the draft gurus say that at the bottom of the first you pick for need and that if you get a solid rotation player you had a good draft. then when we went for need they say we should have gone for upside.

You mean the same Dwight Freeney that was extremely productive throughout his college career but his size and workouts scared some teams off and forced him to fall some on draft day? His situation could not be less like Plumlee. There is a legit case to be made for guys like Freeney, who spent 4 years proving they are excellent at their sport but people out-think themselves and pass on him. Plumlee is a lot more like that guy who is a 6th round NFL prospect but then has a good combine and some dumb team takes him with the 26th pick and live to regret it.

Return to NBA Draft