ImageImageImage

Howard/Bynum pre-draft scouting reports

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ltshores
Ballboy
And1: 0

Howard/Bynum pre-draft scouting reports 

Post#1 » by ltshores » Sat Aug 4, 2012 6:37 pm

I know many people have commented on the similarities of the pre-draft critiques of Howard/Bynum and Drummond, so I thought it would be interesting to actually dust off some old scouting reports. Regarding Howard, some of his perceived upsides, "He's not afraid to crash the glass and is an excellent shot blocker," and downside, "The biggest complaint from scouts is a perceived lack of passion," sound very similar to those made of Drummond. However, when reading the full scouting report, it can be seen that at the time of the draft, Howard was a much more polished prospect. The critiques of Bynum and Drummond seem to be much more similar.

Dwight Howard: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18627

"Upside: At his size, he can do just a little bit of everything. He dominates in the paint but also has the ability to step out and hit shots on the perimeter. His ball handling is very good. He's murder on the fast break. He's quick off the dribble and off the floor. He's not afraid to crash the glass and is an excellent shot blocker. He hustles, has a nose for the ball and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's mature, a hard worker, has a great attitude and has improved dramatically over the course of his three years playing high school ball."

"Downside: Not much. The biggest complaint from scouts is a perceived lack of passion. "You hate to claim that a guy might be too nice for the NBA, but that's about the most that I can come up with," one scout told Insider. 'I'm not sure he really has the edge that the great ones like Garnett and [Amare] Stoudemire had." Every other scouting report is pretty similar. Comments like "he needs time to develop" or "he needs to be a little nastier" are about the only negative things you hear. When Insider saw him in a workout in mid June a few more things stood out. He wasn't in great shape. His shot was all over the place and he seemed to struggle to pick up some basic low post moves."

"Insider Projection: Is he the next Kevin Garnett as he claims? Or is he the second coming of Kwame Brown, as another scout warns in hushed tones? Along with Okafor, he's a consensus top two pick in the draft. The Magic might take a chance on him at No. 1. More likely the Clippers will trade the pick to a team desperate for a power forward."

Andrew Bynum: http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18773

"Chad Ford's Analysis: So much for instant impact. Is Bynum the next Shaq? Bynum has the size and ability to be a dominant big man in the league. But he's a ways away. A few months ago he wasn't even on the radar screen. But he was good enough at the McDonald's All-American game that he intrigued everyone. He was awesome in a workout for the Lakers and they were sold. He's an intelligent kid who is pretty skilled, but I doubt Phil Jackson is going to use him for a while."

"Positives: Standing a legit seven feet and weighing 300 pounds, Bynum is huge. He has long arms and is athletic and very mobile for a guy of that size. Best of all, he's not afraid to get a little dirty in the paint. Get him on an NBA weight regimen and he could be an absolute monster."

"Negatives: He's still very raw offensively and really could use a few years at a top program like UConn. Weight has been an issue in the past. He could stand to lose 20 pounds. Some scouts wonder if he's the second coming of Desagana Diop."

"Summary: The big kid is raw, but he's stunned teams with his skills and size in workouts. Rumors abound that the Lakers have made him a promise at No. 10."
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Re: Howard/Bynum pre-draft scouting reports 

Post#2 » by ComboGuardCity » Sat Aug 4, 2012 7:18 pm

Lets also remember these scouting reports were after high school, where Drummond absolutely dominated. His Sophomore year he average 20/16/7blks
FlipTSO
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#3 » by FlipTSO » Sat Aug 4, 2012 7:32 pm

If Drummond becomes either I'll be happy. Personally I think he has the potential to be even better than both. Dwights damaged goods mentally, and Bynum has attitude issues as well. Both attributes that can hold them back from reaching their full potential. With Drummond you have none of that.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Sat Aug 4, 2012 8:46 pm

The definitions of 'raw' are very different for Drummond and Howard. If I remember right, Howard averaged about 15/12 and 4-5 blocks during summer league, despite being clumsy on the court (and being a year younger than Drummond). For Dwight, 'raw' meant he couldn't shoot and didn't always know where to be, but he had a good feel for the game; for Drummond, it means he's not a good player and doesn't know how to be effective yet.

Also, I just can't imagine that Dwight would ever have slipped to the tenth pick in this year's draft, or that he would have been totally mediocre in college if he spent a year there.
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#5 » by joseph mamah » Sat Aug 4, 2012 8:52 pm

summer league schmummer league. ive said many times if summer league meant anything at all Austin Daye would be a superstar. Half the guys in that league are going to be bagging groceries come september. If howard had gone to a school with no coach full of selfish players more worried about getting their own numbers than winning basketball games he probably wouldnt have been able to show much either.
Jodi
Banned User
And1: 52

Post#6 » by Jodi » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:39 pm

HotelVitale wrote: For Dwight, 'raw' meant he couldn't shoot and didn't always know where to be, but he had a good feel for the game; for Drummond, it means he's not a good player and doesn't know how to be effective yet.

:noway: lol, I love the hate towards my boy Drummond...Please don't hop on the bandwagon when he's dunking on everyone and blocking shots regularly...
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#7 » by Scout Taron » Sat Aug 4, 2012 11:19 pm

Jodi wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: For Dwight, 'raw' meant he couldn't shoot and didn't always know where to be, but he had a good feel for the game; for Drummond, it means he's not a good player and doesn't know how to be effective yet.

:noway: lol, I love the hate towards my boy Drummond...Please don't hop on the bandwagon when he's dunking on everyone and blocking shots regularly...

Literally nothing in Vitale's post was factually untrue or hate.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#8 » by joseph mamah » Sat Aug 4, 2012 11:40 pm

Howard was only 4 months younger than Drummond when he was drafted. people forget drummond reclassified.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#9 » by Scout Taron » Sat Aug 4, 2012 11:49 pm

joseph mamah wrote:Howard was only 4 months younger than Drummond when he was drafted. people forget drummond reclassified.

Yeah, but Drummond had already played four years of high school ball. He's a young freshmen, not like he only played three years of high school.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#10 » by joseph mamah » Sun Aug 5, 2012 12:31 am

your right, when i heard he reclassified i was under the impression that he had only played three years.
Jodi
Banned User
And1: 52

Post#11 » by Jodi » Sun Aug 5, 2012 12:55 am

Scout Taron wrote:
Jodi wrote:

Literally nothing in Vitale's post was factually untrue or hate.

What?? Read his post!..
FlipTSO
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#12 » by FlipTSO » Sun Aug 5, 2012 2:02 am

^yeah he said blatantly Drummond is not a good player, acting like he's a scrub or something.

The funny thing is, most ppl have this opinion of Drummond not being good all because the GM's of 7 lottery teams decided he wasn't good. So when you think about it, by going with the popular opinion of him, you are really just following the opinion of 7 crappy GM's, who have pretty much all been failures at evaluating talent up to this point. But suddenly they know everything when it comes to evaluating Drummond? BS

Had he gone 2nd overall, there wouldn't be all this talk, imo. Its funny how fans/media tend to look at players differently when they are selected 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc vs 8th, 9th. Going into the draft the popular opinion was MKG was not worthy of the #2 pick based on his mediocre numbers his one year in college. Then he gets taken 2nd anyways, has 1 great SL game, and now he's suddenly a homerun pick in most minds. Yet the same ppl will criticize Drummond for his mediocre college numbers.

I liked the MKG pick and think he's going to be a great player, but I think Drummond is a good player right now and is going to be better than MKG in the longrun. I think ppl who dis him, here or elsewhere, are just rooting for him to fail so they can feel better about their team passing on him.
bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#13 » by bkseven » Sun Aug 5, 2012 3:10 am

two words: deandre jordan
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#14 » by Sheeeeed » Sun Aug 5, 2012 3:13 am

Jesus, some people on this board have the sensitivity of a pregnant woman. If you don't think Stuckey is a top 5 SG, utter Knights name in the same breath as Jason Terry's or worse, and say Drummond has a high potential to bust, or won't be a top 3 center you're a hater. :roll:
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#15 » by joseph mamah » Sun Aug 5, 2012 3:43 am

I like to give kids a chance before i dismiss them as scrubs unless theyre from Duke, and then only because dukes cursed. stuckeys had 5 years to show what he can do and he hasnt improved much. BK reportedly has a very strong work ethic thats why ill defend him until its unreasonable to do so any longer. if it had been a fellow pistons fan i would have respected their opinion, but im not going to let a raptors fan come on the forum and dog on our young players. its disrespectful.
ltshores
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by ltshores » Sun Aug 5, 2012 4:05 am

The mere fact that a Raptors fan is viewing our board and singling out posts about Drummond shows that they are worried their team swung and missed on this one.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#17 » by HotelVitale » Sun Aug 5, 2012 4:40 am

Just to clarify...for me being a 'good' player means doing more things effectively and efficiently than the average opponent. I don't see how anyone who watched most of those UConn games or all of those summer league games would come out thinking that Drummond was really good; based on that evidence (all we have of him playing high-level ball), he's obviously mega-talented but not there yet as a ballplayer.

I liked reading those scouting reports, but to me it's not a valid or interesting discussion to say that Drummond= Howard because scouts/writers had some doubts or concerns about both. They both happen to be huge and athletic, but they're very different players at very different levels of development. To my eyes, Howard showed he was ready to come in and do some damage during his summer league--even if he still sucked at a lot of things--while Drummond didn't really. No hate intended, just callin' like I'm seein'. If you see something different, let us know what it is.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#18 » by HotelVitale » Sun Aug 5, 2012 4:44 am

Also, I was wondering: in discussions about summer league, skeptics always point out players like Tskitishvili (or Daye) who dominate at summer league but have bad to very bad NBA seasons; does anyone know any converse examples, when a player was lame in summer league (despite being healthy and getting minutes) but turned in a great rookie year? Seems like that would be the more relevant SL anecdotal evidence for this discussion.
bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#19 » by bkseven » Sun Aug 5, 2012 4:48 am

Draft day. July 28th, 2012

Raptor fan: fire bc!!!! >:O I wanted Drummond! Or at least a trade! **** Ross! Fire bc!!! Fire bc!!!
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#20 » by joseph mamah » Sun Aug 5, 2012 4:59 am

your still on your little summer league kick im sure theres many players who struggled in summer league who went on to have good careers that just proves my point even further summer league is meaningless. as far as trying to compare drummond to howard by high school performance its ridiculous, eddy curry and kwame brown were both going to be superstars coming out of high school. as i said before ill reserve my judgement until ive seen them play an nba season. coming out of high school drummond would have been the hands down # 1 pick in the draft. He made a bad choice when he picked uconn. im not going to condemn him bacause of that until ive actually seen him play against nba competition. if you come lurking on this forum again next summer my attitude towards drummond might change but it will be an informed opinion not hearsay.

Return to Detroit Pistons