Lets talk about Alexey Shved

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Lets talk about Alexey Shved 

Post#1 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 am

For those of you who don't know he is a russian combo guard, who was the second best player on the bronze winning team next to ak47.

heralded as a great player at a really young age, he has a great handle, but is also a great passer (VERY flashy) and is a good knock down shooter as well. What separates him from the typical european player is his american playstyle (crossovers, good 1v1 player)

his flaws are his maturity, decision making, and effort on defense.

What is your opinion on him from what you saw in the olympics? or if you are familiar with the euro league.

Klomp wrote:

Klomp wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:No highlights and/or stats? I guess I could go on Youtube...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RsFOIGxxig[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z4ADVvJK_g[/youtube]

Klomp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6o0UcFOeHc[/youtube]

Gunny wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpc2_jDRwWA[/youtube]

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved 

Post#2 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 am

He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

There are not that many players with Bones skill set...
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Post#3 » by Ettorefm » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:10 am

Russian Rubio? By who?
He's 6'6 and a Shooting Guard. Being a good passer and having excelent courtvision doesn't make you a 'russian rubio' :lol: this was made up by the american media, as they prefer to label foreign players by stereotypes or one minute footage instead of actually scouting them.
Just look at Vesely, seen a few years ago as the european Blake Griffin, when he plays NOTHING like Griffin. Some people from the media actually tried to link him to Dirk. Yeah, great job. Keep trusting his jumpshot :lol:
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#4 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:13 am

Ettorefm wrote:Russian Rubio? By who?
He's 6'6 and a Shooting Guard. Being a good passer and having excelent courtvision doesn't make you a 'russian rubio' :lol: this was made up by the american media, as they prefer to label foreign players by stereotypes or one minute footage instead of actually scouting them.
Just look at Vesely, seen a few years ago as the european Blake Griffin, when he plays NOTHING like Griffin. Some people from the media actually tried to link him to Dirk. Yeah, great job. Keep trusting his jumpshot :lol:

i maybe shouldnt have put it in quotations xD. alot of ppl are quick to generalizations.

i guess its the flashiness,floppy hair, and good looks (pause)
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#5 » by Dr Aki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:14 am

russian rubio because he has floppy hair?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#6 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am

Blame Rasho wrote:He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

That's actually a really good comparison. Best I've seen yet!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#7 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 am

As for the Rubio comparisons, plays like this certainly make it more appealing

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Notas A3
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#8 » by Notas A3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:23 am

I like the guy, but he wasn't the 2nd best player for Russia in the olympics, I was really disappointed with his play in London, I hope he can bring everythong to the table in Minny.
Let's Go Sixers!
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#9 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:25 am

Shved's progress will probably depend a lot on how good (or bad) his defense is. He appears to lack strength, but has the athletic ability to get cover players. We'll see. His offense looks more promising, but there again are some red flags. He has good length and athletic ability for a shooting guard. Obviously superior to Ridnour in that area. And he looks good on his outside shot being able to hit 3s respectably and can finish at the basket as well. He also sees the floor well and is a nice passer. But he seems to zone out at times and get into a phases where he is turnover prone. His potential is superior to Ridnour's, but I see a year of him adjusting to the NBA. And hopefully he doesn't get moody and mouth off to Adelman who'd probably ship him back to Russia on the first plane. I don't want to label him a head case, but there are rumors to that effect.
FullCircle
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#10 » by FullCircle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:25 am

Derailing, evading language filter
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#11 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 am

I meant to say he has the physical ability to cover players. Not get cover players.
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#12 » by Chalk1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 am

He looked like a PG to me. Ran the show for the Russians.
orange_juice32
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#13 » by orange_juice32 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:36 am

Much too weak. needs to bulk up
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#14 » by Chalk1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:42 am

eltalavk wrote:I like the guy, but he wasn't the 2nd best player for Russia in the olympics, I was really disappointed with his play in London, I hope he can bring everythong to the table in Minny.

Who, Mozgov? Fridzon?

Shved averaged more points than mozgov and .1 point less than Fridzon, and was 3rd in the Olympics in assists.

I'd say as the PG, with questionable backups at that spot, he was the most important player for Russia.
ieatchildrenraw
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#15 » by ieatchildrenraw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:46 am

Shved's shooting is inconsistent from what I saw at the Olympics, but when he's shooting well, he can shoot the lights out. His defense is weak, but his ball handling skills are good and so is his passing when he's not getting carried away and making bad decisions. He could be a very good off the bench shooter for the Timberwolves and may even be the starter depending on how him and Brandon Roy plays.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:48 am

Blame Rasho wrote:He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

pretty good comparison. i think shved's ability to create his own shot is a bit better, but i think barry's decision making was better.
shved's a solid playmaker but he can attempt some pretty risky, low% plays.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,115

Post#17 » by KembaWalker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:50 am

sounds like livingston with a decent 3pt ball. could be a good role player
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#18 » by King d » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 am

He will be a nice backup for Brandon the legend Roy
Notas A3
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#19 » by Notas A3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:01 am

Chalk1 wrote:
eltalavk wrote:I like the guy, but he wasn't the 2nd best player for Russia in the olympics, I was really disappointed with his play in London, I hope he can bring everythong to the table in Minny.

Who, Mozgov? Fridzon?

Shved averaged more points than mozgov and .1 point less than Fridzon, and was 3rd in the Olympics in assists.

I'd say as the PG, with questionable backups at that spot, he was the most important player for Russia.

For me, Mozgov and Fridzon were more important in the whole tournament, but Alexey played amazingly against Argentina. But watching his games versus Spain (both ones) and Lithuania where he played pretty bad, was really disappointing, I was expecting a lot more from him. And I'm not hating, because I love the guy and I'm rooting for him to do it well, but he needs to put more effort (a lot) on deffense.
Let's Go Sixers!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#20 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:11 am

ManualRam wrote:

pretty good comparison. i think shved's ability to create his own shot is a bit better, but i think barry's decision making was better.
shved's a solid playmaker but he can attempt some pretty risky, low% plays.

We need some Brent Barry Love...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg-k_1NGMY&feature=related[/youtube]

His Crip Walk...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawdmsHSYBY&feature=related[/youtube]

It is shame that most people don't really how smooth the guy was when he was playing... Most people think of him as a deadeye spot up shooter in his later days.

Return to The General Board