ImageImageImageImageImage

Don't sell them short.. Knicks can take the #1 seed

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Don't sell them short.. Knicks can take the #1 seed 

Post#1 » by truth serum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 am

Yeah, you heard it here first. This team is good enough to do it. And I'm not saying the Knicks are a better team than the Heat are, but it seems no matter how confident we get about this group throughout this off season, with all the great personnel moves the FO has made and all the talk about the gelling and the camaraderie we're seeing amongst the guys.. everyone still sees the 2 seed as the Knicks' ceiling just because the Heat are the champs. Poppycock!

Chicago has been the 1 seed the past two years and I think this Knicks squad is better than both of those teams were. I think there's a chance the Heat hit some lulls this year as well, being the defending champs, maybe relaxing a little bit when the schedule gets tough which could be somewhat necessary for a team that relies so heavily on its stars.

As for the Knicks, our team has every reason to stay hungry all season long and they also have the depth and firepower to keep them afloat. Deep roster, veteran leadership, highly motivated players 1-15, a highly motivated, defensive-minded coach, and a sh*t ton of talent in general. A very underrated roster right now. Bosh said it himself. And of course Miami has all of these same qualities and then some. I'm just saying, the Knicks are right there with them without all of the expectations which makes it possible that NY finishes with more wins. Why the hell not? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Knicks hit the playoffs with home court advantage. I WOULD be surprised to see them land outside of the top 3. Simple as that.

Obviously, I really believe in this squad, and while there will be many of you who flame me for this post, we can and WILL bump this thread in April '13 and see what's what! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Re: Don't sell them short.. Knicks can take the #1 seed 

Post#2 » by blumatic » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 am

truth serum wrote:Yeah, you heard it here first. This team is good enough to do it. And I'm not saying the Knicks are a better team than the Heat are, but it seems no matter how confident we get about this group throughout this off season, with all the great personnel moves the FO has made and all the talk about the gelling and the camaraderie we're seeing amongst the guys.. everyone still sees the 2 seed as the Knicks' ceiling just because the Heat are the champs. Poppycock!

Chicago has been the 1 seed the past two years and I think this Knicks squad is better than both of those teams were. I think there's a chance the Heat hit some lulls this year as well, being the defending champs, maybe relaxing a little bit when the schedule gets tough which could be somewhat necessary for a team that relies so heavily on its stars.

As for the Knicks, our team has every reason to stay hungry all season long and they also have the depth and firepower to keep them afloat. Deep roster, veteran leadership, highly motivated players 1-15, a highly motivated, defensive-minded coach, and a sh*t ton of talent in general. A very underrated roster right now. Bosh said it himself. And of course Miami has all of these same qualities and then some. I'm just saying, the Knicks are right there with them without all of the expectations which makes it possible that NY finishes with more wins. Why the hell not? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Knicks hit the playoffs with home court advantage. I WOULD be surprised to see them land outside of the top 3. Simple as that.

Obviously, I really believe in this squad, and while there will be many of you who flame me for this post, we can and WILL bump this thread in April '13 and see what's what! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

Bill Bradley, DocZaius, Dr. Dintenk (or something) will disagree and call you a fool for it.

But I love ur positivity.
Sideline Story
Sixth Man
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Sideline Story » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 am

It's always a good feeling to see posters with positivity.

I'm just as excited as you are, my man. Keep up the quality posts.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#4 » by ctorres » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 am

#1 if Amar'e and Melo are healthy for 82 games. We also need at least 2 guys among Felton, Kidd, and Prigioni to be healthy at all times. Either Tyson or Camby has to be healthy at all times but both of them can't be out at the same time. I like our depth a lot coming into the season. For whatever holes we have, I think contending teams in the East have just as many holes.

Boston is forced to play Garnett at the center position again. Chris Wilcox, Jason Collins, and Fab Melo are the only other centers they have. We have Tyson Chandler and Marcus Camby. Even Kurt Thomas at this stage in his career is better than any of the Celtics' back-up center options.

We also have the advantage on Miami at the center position. The Heat are going to be starting Bosh at center, which means battling both Chandler and Camby. For the rest of our depth to outmatch theirs, guys like Felton, Smith, and Shumpert must have an INSANE season. Felton is more talented than Chalmers. The Heat may have Ray Allen, but Smith can light it up himself and the Heat don't have any young prospect like Shumpert on their roster.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#5 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 am

Miami tends to coast in the regular season, so it's not impossible.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#6 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:34 am

I think we can beat anybody except Miami in a playoff series, and I agree that Miami may not take the #1 seed, BUT...

I don't see this team finishing #1, because they aren't built for the regular season. I say that because I think our offense is going to rely on Melo and Amare taking a beating in the paint, and I don't see them doing that for a full 82 games. I think the goal is to win just enough games to avoid Miami in the 1st and 2nd rounds. And Woodson needs to learn how to tank in the last 7 games of the season.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#7 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:41 am

I think it's more likely the Knicks miss the playoffs than get the number one seed. Posters are hanging their hats on a very small sample with Woodson. There are big question marks at both guard spots going into the season and major chemistry questions. Every offseason posters here assume the best will happen and it never does. I say the same thing every offseason; past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Chances are, Felton will not get into shape and will remain mediocre, chances are Melo will remain selfish, Amare will dog it on defense etc etc.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#8 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:53 am

Bill Bradley wrote:I think it's more likely the Knicks miss the playoffs than get the number one seed. Posters are hanging their hats on a very small sample with Woodson. There are big question marks at both guard spots going into the season and major chemistry questions. Every offseason posters here assume the best will happen and it never does. I say the same thing every offseason; past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Chances are, Felton will not get into shape and will remain mediocre, chances are Melo will remain selfish, Amare will dog it on defense etc etc.

In 2010 people expected us to be a low playoff seed and we were.

In 2011, people predicted we'd be bad until Baron got healthy, and we were. People didn't predict we'd be THAT bad, but nobody thought Baron would be out for so many games. He was projected to be back by the end of January.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#9 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am

Also, I don't think you need to look at Woodson's tenure as the sample size.

Look at how the team did once Tony Douglas was no longer the starting PG (i.e. when Lin took over). I don't know what the exact record is, but our winning % was definitely playoff caliber. And that was over 2/3 of last season.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#10 » by knicksnyk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am

I am trying not to sound like an a.ss but this is silly. You seriously see the Knicks going from a barely 7th seed to a 1 seed in one season? Come on. It sounds absurd when u say it out loud. Miami has an easier schedule than us & there division is not as strong as ours is. We have a pg coming off a career worst year, another pg who has lost a step & another pg that nobody knew at all before & is a 34 year old rookie. & sure Miami coasted in teh reg season but they did it all the way to a 2 seed. way to delusional.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#11 » by ctorres » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 am

I prefer to aim high coming into the season knowing that I am emotionally stable enough to handle defeat and failure rather than coming into every season with low expectations. It got me through the Isiah era, Walsh era, and now it's going to get me through the Grunnie era.

ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#12 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:09 am

knicksnyk wrote:I am trying not to sound like an a.ss but this is silly. You seriously see the Knicks going from a barely 7th seed to a 1 seed in one season? Come on. It sounds absurd when u say it out loud. Miami has an easier schedule than us & there division is not as strong as ours is. We have a pg coming off a career worst year, another pg who has lost a step & another pg that nobody knew at all before & is a 34 year old rookie. & sure Miami coasted in teh reg season but they did it all the way to a 2 seed. way to delusional.

Indy went from 8 to 3 from 2011 to 2012 without any major roster changes.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#13 » by UnderdogKnicks » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 am

We can make top 4 seed but #1 is over the hill. The last time the Knicks were #1 seed was back in the 90s with Patrick and crew. That team would beat the **** out of this team and would probably get the #1 spot this year.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by knicksnyk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:19 am

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
knicksnyk wrote:I am trying not to sound like an a.ss but this is silly. You seriously see the Knicks going from a barely 7th seed to a 1 seed in one season? Come on. It sounds absurd when u say it out loud. Miami has an easier schedule than us & there division is not as strong as ours is. We have a pg coming off a career worst year, another pg who has lost a step & another pg that nobody knew at all before & is a 34 year old rookie. & sure Miami coasted in teh reg season but they did it all the way to a 2 seed. way to delusional.

and the knicks have questionable guard play & changed our bench a lot. we are a very different team right now than before. the division is different now much harder & we are implementing a new system & we have one of the toughest scheds in the nba. like they are so many factors at play
Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#15 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 am

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:

Indy is a young up and coming team. Knicks are literally the oldest team in the league. Big difference.
Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#16 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 am

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:I think it's more likely the Knicks miss the playoffs than get the number one seed. Posters are hanging their hats on a very small sample with Woodson. There are big question marks at both guard spots going into the season and major chemistry questions. Every offseason posters here assume the best will happen and it never does. I say the same thing every offseason; past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Chances are, Felton will not get into shape and will remain mediocre, chances are Melo will remain selfish, Amare will dog it on defense etc etc.

In 2010 people expected us to be a low playoff seed and we were.

In 2011, people predicted we'd be bad until Baron got healthy, and we were. People didn't predict we'd be THAT bad, but nobody thought Baron would be out for so many games. He was projected to be back by the end of January.

And both offseasons Truth Serum made threads like this, many agreed, and all looked foolish.
Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#17 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 am

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Also, I don't think you need to look at Woodson's tenure as the sample size.

Look at how the team did once Tony Douglas was no longer the starting PG (i.e. when Lin took over). I don't know what the exact record is, but our winning % was definitely playoff caliber. And that was over 2/3 of last season.

I don't think you can use the Lin era to predict how knicks will do this season.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#18 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:25 am

Bill Bradley wrote:Indy is a young up and coming team. Knicks are literally the oldest team in the league. Big difference.

OK... and Indy didn't start Tony Douglas at PG for 1/3 of 2011.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#19 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:25 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Also, I don't think you need to look at Woodson's tenure as the sample size.

I don't think you can use the Lin era to predict how we will do this season.

I'm not using the Lin era. I'm using the 'tony douglas wasn't our starting PG' era.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by knicksnyk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 am

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:

I don't think you can use the Lin era to predict how we will do this season.

I'm not using the Lin era. I'm using the 'tony douglas wasn't our starting PG' era.

felton coming off a career worst season. kidd who isn't the same kidd as before. prig a question mark.

Return to New York Knicks