OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Re: OT: Restaurant/Food/Beer Discussion 

Post#241 » by crkone » Thu Oct 4, 2012 6:37 pm

Newz wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I haven't been to Red Sushi. My favorite sushi place in Madison is Muramoto. Don't know if you've had that.

I haven't so I can't really draw a comparison. I saw someone mention Ward's. I haven't been there, but a few people I know think it's pretty good.

Harbor House really is a good bet though. Best view in Milwaukee as it is right on the lake.

Last time I was at Harbor House a man proposed to his GF so its got that going for it.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#242 » by Badgerlander » Thu Oct 4, 2012 6:41 pm

crkone wrote:
Newz wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I haven't been to Red Sushi. My favorite sushi place in Madison is Muramoto. Don't know if you've had that.

I haven't so I can't really draw a comparison. I saw someone mention Ward's. I haven't been there, but a few people I know think it's pretty good.

Harbor House really is a good bet though. Best view in Milwaukee as it is right on the lake.

Last time I was at Harbor House a man proposed to his GF so its got that going for it.

Depends, did she say yes? lol, jk
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#243 » by midranger » Thu Oct 4, 2012 6:54 pm

1 of the 2 times I've witnessed a knee drop was at Lake Park Bistro.

Also, food and wine and dessert and view, all excellent.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#244 » by DigitalFool » Thu Oct 4, 2012 8:50 pm

I've only lived in Milwaukee for a few years, but my favorite place to go for steak is Butler Inn of Pewaukee. Service is so-so, usually have to wait a while even with reservation, classic supper club environment, but the 5 Star Signature 16 oz filet is 36.95 (includes salad/potato) is simply unmatched for the value and makes up for any shortcomings.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#245 » by Newz » Thu Oct 4, 2012 8:52 pm

DigitalFool wrote:I've only lived in Milwaukee for a few years, but my favorite place to go for steak is Butler Inn of Pewaukee. Service is so-so, usually have to wait a while even with reservation, classic supper club environment, but the 5 Star Signature 16 oz filet is 36.95 (includes salad/potato) is simply unmatched for the value and makes up for any shortcomings.

Butler Inn is pretty damn solid for the price and atmosphere. They always do a very good job. They also have a great fish fry, ribs, prime rib and fried chicken as well.

Wouldn't really recommend it for seafood though.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#246 » by ReddWing » Thu Oct 4, 2012 10:49 pm

Man....why did Sabor close. That place was great and I only got to go once.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,588

Post#247 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Oct 5, 2012 12:45 am

My favorite sushi in Madison is a very unassuming place on the East Side in a strip mall, called Takumi. It's fantastic and more reasonable than Muramoto. The Spicy Spider Roll is heaven.

Never been to Red Sushi. I should give it a try.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#248 » by emunney » Fri Oct 5, 2012 12:58 am

Dame's Chicken and Waffles is amazing. Sorry, wrong city. True though.

GoS, they just opened a 2nd location in Greensboro.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#249 » by buckboy » Fri Oct 5, 2012 3:34 am

Sanford has the best food in the city but it's pretty stuffy.

Lake Park Bistro is romantic and also has very good food. That'd be my recommendation.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#250 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 5, 2012 4:23 am

I cook a lot of things and I generally hate going by recipes, but this was astonishingly good. The soup itself is pretty standard stuff if you've made a chicken tortilla-ish dish, but the relish takes it out of this world.

I followed it almost line for line, and I never do that. Turned out amazing. Only changes is I used feta instead of queso fresco, and I added a seeded jalapeno.

Cooking dudes around here, try this out.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#251 » by Badgerlander » Tue Oct 9, 2012 6:43 pm

http://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/bestnew2012.html
Some great new restaurants opened in Milwaukee in the past year, but Odd Duck was the favorite of OnMilwaukee.com readers.

Rounding out the top five best new restaurants in Milwaukee, according to you, are Smoke Shack, Melthouse Bistro, The Rumpus Room and Braise.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#252 » by Steve210 » Tue Oct 9, 2012 7:35 pm

Went to Five O' Clock Steakhouse this past weekend and it was awesome!

http://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/ ... html?31539

If you want a good steak, I highly recommend it, the shrimp is very good to.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#253 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Oct 9, 2012 7:41 pm

DigitalFool wrote:I've only lived in Milwaukee for a few years, but my favorite place to go for steak is Butler Inn of Pewaukee. Service is so-so, usually have to wait a while even with reservation, classic supper club environment, but the 5 Star Signature 16 oz filet is 36.95 (includes salad/potato) is simply unmatched for the value and makes up for any shortcomings.

Holy cow, I remember going there something like 8 years ago at least. I remember my grandparents being in awe watching me clear my plate eating that 16 oz. like it was nothing. Crazy how much more I was able to eat then than now. But I bet I could still finish one. It was really good.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#254 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Anybody ever go to Rustico Pizzeria in the Third Ward? If so, is it okay?
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#255 » by LUKE23 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Decided to roll with Unami Moto for sushi in a couple weeks. Hopefully good. Menu looks ridiculous.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#256 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 pm

What are the logistics behind sushi in the Midwest? I've seen documentaries (check out "Jiro") about sushi chefs heading to the fish market every morning, and can't fathom how a process like that could exist thousands of miles from a major fishing port. I think I'd be squeamish about raw fish that isn't extremely fresh. Is it flown in on dry ice?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#257 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

adamcz wrote:What are the logistics behind sushi in the Midwest? I've seen documentaries (check out "Jiro") about sushi chefs heading to the fish market every morning, and can't fathom how a process like that could exist thousands of miles from a major fishing port. I think I'd be squeamish about raw fish that isn't extremely fresh. Is it flown in on dry ice?

No idea, but alot of people love it so it must not be too bad. Even in GB alot of people love sushi. I had it once from a respected place and was indifferent. I didn't hate it, but if I never had it again I wouldn't be disappointed either.
LarryHarris
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#258 » by LarryHarris » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:15 pm

I mentioned this before, but I thought I'd do it again. My friends and I are going to a different restaurant every month, starting with a place beginning with an "A" and going to "Z." So far, we are up to "I."

We've been to:

AJ Bombers
Beta by Sabor (RIP)
Comet Cafe
Distil
Eatery on Farwell
Fajitas Grill
Ginger
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
Irie Palace (I just posted the entry about this today.)

The thing that works well about the blog I'm writing is that there is six of us, so six different entrees, etc., as opposed to one in most food blogs.

Anyways, our favorite discovery so far was Beta. Sadly, it closed before we were able to return. Our least favorite is Fajitas Grill, which also closed, but is apparently reopening soon...

http://aslightdiscomfort.wordpress.com/
"It is time." -Kevin Greene to Clay Matthews at Super Bowl XLV

"I ain't got time for jokers to be bangin' on the drum." -Gary Ellerson
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#259 » by Run-MKE 311 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 pm

I would assume it has been mentioned in here already, but the 4th Base in West Allis, across from the VA, is out of this world.

From the outside, it is a very unassuming, standard neighborhood bar. But once inside, you will discover some of the most amazing made to order food you have ever had in your life (steaks, seafood, chicken, etc.) I did steak and eggs there one morning for breakfast and it was one of the best meals I have ever had.

Solid beer selection as well to help wash it down.
Ball so hard.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#260 » by drew881 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

LarryHarris wrote:I mentioned this before, but I thought I'd do it again. My friends and I are going to a different restaurant every month, starting with a place beginning with an "A" and going to "Z." So far, we are up to "I."

So I've been to the site a couple of different times and it is only now that I realized you were doing a restaurant per letter, given your list. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I think you should somehow make that more clear, either up top where you list it as the "ABCs of Milwaukee Dining," which is ambiguous, since the ABC of something usually just means the basic stuff you want to know.

Or for example, a list somewhere like you laid out in your post, with the front letter of each restaurant a different color from the rest. Just a thought...

Also, 26 restaurants is a two year venture and not sure if you want to continue from there, but what do you name future entries after Z should you want to continue (especially if you get a good following)?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks