NBA Games Discussion Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread 

Post#161 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:03 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I wonder if Vesely for Selby and a pick is doable?

Depends on the pick, but Terd and Ernie admitting so early in Vesely's career that he's a bust as a 6th pick (by trading him for a late 2nd rounder from the same draft)? I doubt it. They seem to have difficulty in even tacitly admitting mistakes. I wonder how long they would have kept Kenny Green on the roster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#162 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 pm

montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I wonder if Vesely for Selby and a pick is doable?

Depends on the pick, but Terd and Ernie admitting so early in Vesely's career that he's a bust as a 6th pick (by trading him for a late 2nd rounder from the same draft)? I doubt it. They seem to have difficulty in even tacitly admitting mistakes. I wonder how long they would have kept Kenny Green on the roster.

We would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Vesely .
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#163 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Cousins suspended after incident with Sean Elliot. Calls Elliot "immature".

After overpowering Duncan for two baskets and drawing a shooting foul on the Spurs star with about five minutes left, Cousins bellowed to his teammates on the Kings’ bench after drawing a shooting foul on the future Hall of Famer.

Elliott paraphrased Cousins as saying, “I’m going to bust his (expletive).”

Elliott responded after Duncan blocked a Cousins shot at the rim and scored three baskets.

“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said on the air. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclub should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”

Apparently informed postgame of Elliott’s remarks, Cousins appeared on the court in his uniform and confronted Elliott after he and broadcaster Bill Land completed their postgame show.

“I was wondering why Cousins was out there in his uniform waiting for them to finish his postgame show,” said Bill Schoening, who does the play-by-play call on radio broadcasts of Spurs games. “Then I saw them in an animated conversation out on the court.

“I observed Sean walk away from Cousins and Cousins continue to talk to Sean as he left the scene, but I couldn’t hear what was being said.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnatio ... h-cousins/
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#164 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Damn, Cousins was suspended for 2 games because of that.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#165 » by Benjammin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Damn, Cousins was suspended for 2 games because of that.

Fire up the trade checker ;-).
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#166 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I doubt Ted/Ernie would even consider Cousins especially since the Blatche, Young & McGee days are still so fresh in the mind.

But if there a washed up vet we can trade for...
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#167 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:51 pm

montestewart wrote:

That is the only reason I have lost all restraint and tact in putting their every misstep (IMO) on full blast. Character, monte, is lacking when someone gets too high and mighty to admit they got one wrong. By being so impervious to outside suggestions they will keep on making the same mistakes, too.

Terd, errr, Ted better get a clue, monte. This team is going to stink just like that name if he doesn't make some changes soon.
Bye bye Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#168 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:17 pm

He deserved to be suspended. It's one thing to react in the heat of the moment, but staying on the court and confronting a broadcaster for something he said well after the game was over is silly and immature.
RealGM

Post#169 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 pm

tontoz wrote:Cousins suspended after incident with Sean Elliot. Calls Elliot "immature".

After overpowering Duncan for two baskets and drawing a shooting foul on the Spurs star with about five minutes left, Cousins bellowed to his teammates on the Kings’ bench after drawing a shooting foul on the future Hall of Famer.

Elliott paraphrased Cousins as saying, “I’m going to bust his (expletive).”

Elliott responded after Duncan blocked a Cousins shot at the rim and scored three baskets.

“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said on the air. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclub should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”

Apparently informed postgame of Elliott’s remarks, Cousins appeared on the court in his uniform and confronted Elliott after he and broadcaster Bill Land completed their postgame show.

“I was wondering why Cousins was out there in his uniform waiting for them to finish his postgame show,” said Bill Schoening, who does the play-by-play call on radio broadcasts of Spurs games. “Then I saw them in an animated conversation out on the court.

“I observed Sean walk away from Cousins and Cousins continue to talk to Sean as he left the scene, but I couldn’t hear what was being said.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnatio ... h-cousins/

Big picture is you cannot engage or try to intimidate any media. If things had gotten physical that would have been a nightmare.

If I were a coach within the Kings, I would want to know who told DeMarcus Cousins that soon after the game what Elliott said. That person is the one who set off this whole incident. Reminds me of a time a girl who I grew up with had a boyfriend cheat on her. I knew where his car was parked, when he was with the other girl, etc. But did I tell my childhood friend the details? Heck no! Why tell an excitable player what an excitable, homer announcer said?

As for DeMarcus Cousins, this year he became a dad. He's lost a lot of weight and continues to improve. He's got a little brother who is about 6'10" and is a prospect. Cousins is an impulsive 22-year old who probably did want to fight Sean Elliott. I don't think Elliott was right per se. DeMarcus Cousins is a third-year player. He can take it at the old man and talk all the junk he wants IMO, because they're all getting paid a ton of jack.

I remember Bird talking junk to Dr. J. It made me mad at the time, just like Elliott was mad. Flip Saunders loves KG so much he got mad at his own players for talking stuff. I think, however, that whatever advantage a player can get they should use it. If I were in Cousins' place I would probably not rile up a guy who's that much better than I. But he probably has got the better of Duncan many times, already.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#170 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

DCZards wrote:

He deserved to be suspended. It's one thing to react in the heat of the moment, but staying on the court and confronting a broadcaster for something he said well after the game was over is silly and immature.

+1
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#171 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Dat2U wrote:I doubt Ted/Ernie would even consider Cousins especially since the Blatche, Young & McGee days are still so fresh in the mind.

But if there a washed up vet we can trade for...

While Nene is out with a sore foot, Ted/Ernie should refresh their minds with this:

http://brooklynfans.com/2012/11/nets-magic-bk-big-men/

Brook Lopez and Andray Blatche dominated in Orlando Friday, as the Nets evened their record to 2-2 with a 107-68 win over the Magic. …

Blatche plays like a guy who can start for most NBA teams. He’s creative around the cup and is too athletic to keep away from scoring chances. His 15 points and 8 rebounds was every bit as dominant as Lopez’ offensive effort.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/11/1 ... n-raptors/

Nick Young put home 16 points off the bench and Jrue Holiday donated 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting to go with five assists for the Sixers, who have won three straight. Spencer Hawes added 12 points and 11 rebounds, while Dorell Wright had 15 points and six boards in the triumph.

"If we were going to win this game, our bench was going to have to come up big, because we were tired," Sixers coach Doug Collins said of playing the second of back-to-back road games.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#172 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:47 pm

For the season (5 games) Blatche has a rating of 53 in my system -- where 100 = average and 60 = replacement level. In that "dominating" game from Blatche, he shot 5-13 from the floor.

Including that 16-point performance, Young's performance this season rates a -22. He has produced 43 points on 56 possessions used.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#173 » by Ed Wood » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what business I have saying this but for whatever made up online credibility redeemable nowhere for nothing the site trades in it's important not to (unnecessarily) exaggerate the team's poor decision making. Young is unremarkable, and Blatche actively detrimental to team success. Our current bad players are at least apparently aware of their failings.
RealGM

Post#174 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:15 am

I am surprised nobody brought up George Karl is unhappy with McGee for offensive mistakes and getting tired very easily.

His rating may look stellar but among the three former Wizards Javale is skating on the thinnest ice with his coach.
Bye bye Beal.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#175 » by willbcocks » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 am

It's hard to say "I told you so" to other teams when we're 0 - 5 and have EG running the show. I think everyone recognized that the past era of the Wiz with Young, Blatche, and McGee wasn't getting us anywhere. And that it probably wasn't the right time and the right clubhouse for McGee to stay and earn 44 million/4.

I just wish I had more confidence that the current team WILL go somewhere.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#176 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am surprised nobody brought up George Karl is unhappy with McGee for offensive mistake and getting tired very easily.

His rating may look stellar but among the three former Wizards Javale is skating on the thinnest ice with his coach.

I don't know how often NBA TV recycles their segments, but today I saw an interview with a Denver post Nugg beat reporter who gave an update on JaVale. Denver is bringing JaVale off the bench to pair with Andre Miller because Miller is great at setting-up JaVale. The reporter (?) also talked how Karl is trying to curtail JaVale's desire to try the stuff he learned with Hakeem this summer so they basically are bringing him along slowly.

Another interesting tidbit from the interview is that JaVale's asthma is actually better-controlled in Denver because of the low pollen count.
llcc25
Senior
And1: 1

Post#177 » by llcc25 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 am

MIN is impressive. They beat DAL at home w/o Love, Rubio, Roy, Barea, Budinger. And with D Williams only having 4 points. Some guy name Pekovic and kirilenko had good game. Any chance we can trade Vesely for either?
RealGM

Post#178 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 am

Derrick Williams is looking more and more like a Mike Beasley-like tweener. It is very early. Williams is only 21 years old, but for the #2 pick he looks more and more like a journeyman and never a star. He is a player the Timberwolves might trade.

Honestly, I would love to see a Vesely for Derrick Williams trade. It would make those civil rights leaders in Minnesota so angry. :)

It would also put Vesely on a team where he can make a good contribution and have a very good career.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#179 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Derrick Williams is looking more and more like a Mike Beasley-like tweener. It is very early. Williams is only 21 years old, but for the #2 pick he looks more and more like a journeyman and never a star. He is a player the Timberwolves might trade.

Honestly, I would love to see a Vesely for Derrick Williams trade. It would make those civil rights leaders in Minnesota so angry. :)

It would also put Vesely on a team where he can make a good contribution and have a very good career.

That's the type of trade that could make a lot of sense for both teams. Vesely is a long, lanky athletic type that should be able to complement Kevin Love well. Love would guard the stronger, post threat, and Vesely would guard whichever big is more mobile and perimeter-oriented.

Meanwhile, the Wizards get a tweener who looks like he'll pan out to be a respectable offensive threat. (Well, we hope he'll pan out to be such a threat. If it was as sure thing, Minnesota wouldn't have him on the block.) The Wizards currently get no offense out of the PF position.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#180 » by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Singleton has shown flashes of being serviceable. He would have to retool his game a good bit but he could be Seattle-Lewis-lite (I know, I should temper my expectations).
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards