Nic Batum
65%

Total votes: 55

lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#1 » by lukekarts » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Both play SF, both are similar age, but the similarities end there.

Who do you think is the better player? Or more specifically, excluding contractual situations, who would you rather have over the next few years?
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#2 » by LoyalKing » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#3 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Gallinari. He and Lawson will be co-anchoring top-5 offenses for Denver if they remain healthy.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Aeternus
Pro Prospect
And1: 164

Post#4 » by Aeternus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#5 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:16 pm

I don't even think its close. Gallo easily
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#6 » by Fitz303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:21 pm

The numbers are almost identical per minute, with Batum being a more efficient scorer, and a better defender. Gallinari has been putting up the numbers all year though, so I would have to give him the edge for now. But I would be shocked if Batum weren't right there with him by the end of the year. This is a very similar situation to Aldridge last season. Everyone was cautious about his inflated numbers, and wanted to see him do it for an entire season. We'll see if Batum can follow suit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2012
Fitz303
General Manager

Post#7 » by Fitz303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Aeternus wrote:I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.

Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game
Aeternus
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Aeternus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Fitz303 wrote:The numbers are almost identical per minute, with Batum being a more efficient scorer, and a better defender. Gallinari has been putting up the numbers all year though, so I would have to give him the edge for now. But I would be shocked if Batum weren't right there with him by the end of the year. This is a very similar situation to Aldridge last season. Everyone was cautious about his inflated numbers, and wanted to see him do it for an entire season. We'll see if Batum can follow suit.

Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game

Are you trolling or just ignorant? Gallo was the best defender for Denver this season. They are basically on the same level as far as defense goes.
And lol at saying that a .6 ppg PER 36, 3.1 ppg non adjusted is almost the same when you then claim in Batum's advantage a .004 TS difference. At least I recognize my biases.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#9 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
Aeternus wrote:I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.

Gallo is no slouch on D. Probably defended Kobe best out of all defenders this year.
Fitz303
General Manager

Post#10 » by Fitz303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Aeternus wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:The numbers are almost identical per minute, with Batum being a more efficient scorer, and a better defender. Gallinari has been putting up the numbers all year though, so I would have to give him the edge for now. But I would be shocked if Batum weren't right there with him by the end of the year. This is a very similar situation to Aldridge last season. Everyone was cautious about his inflated numbers, and wanted to see him do it for an entire season. We'll see if Batum can follow suit.

Are you trolling or just ignorant? Gallo was the best defender for Denver this season. They are basically on the same level as far as defense goes.
And lol at saying that a .6 ppg PER 36, 3.1 ppg non adjusted is almost the same when you then claim in Batum's advantage a .004 TS difference. At least I recognize my biases.

I said it's almost the same per36. Not adjusted, it's clearly Gallo, which is why I said that because Gallo has been doing this all season, I have to give him the overall edge still. As for his efficiency, it has actually gone up since his insertion into the starting lineup. He is shooting .495 from the field. Hence why I said WE'LL SEE if Batum can keep this up for good.

As for the defense. I'm not saying Gallo is a bad defender. Far from it. Sorry if it came across that way, but Batum is a better defender. It's that simple. Drtg has a 5 point difference. He is a much better shot blocker. Especially since switching to SG, Batum has been nothing short of spectacular on defense.
Aeternus
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Aeternus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm

It's really unfair to use FG% with a player who scores almost exclusively at the lines and their TS% is basically the same despite Gallo operating on greater volume.
I understood you meant per36, I just wanted to make you notice how ridiculous was to ignore a 0.6 difference to focus on a .004 one. Of course the reasoning doesn't apply if you were referring to FG%, but really there's no reason to use that sta in the first place.

As far as defense goes, sorry if I answered aggressively, but the "lol" seemed to imply that the difference was great enough to make it laughably to compare them. Misunderstanding cleared.
That said, I might not even disagree that Batum is a slightly better defender, but using Drtg makes no sense when Batum plays on a clearly better defensive team where he's not even the best defensive player. His team's overall defensive performance does impact his individual Drtg.
I think that if there's a difference it is quite small.
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#12 » by JustCame » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Gallo

He's gonna be a key part in a championship run some time in the next 8 years. I guarantee it.

...not on the Nuggets though.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#13 » by PDXKnight » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Blazer fan here picking Gallo. I think Batum can be on that level but he's not there yet.
The Sludge
Senior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by The Sludge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm

As of right now, Gallinari is the better player. I'm actually very high on both of these players, and as a Raptors fan I'd kill to have either Gallinari's offense at our 3 spot or Batum's defense at our 3 spot.

A lot of the comments in this thread state how underrated of a defender Gallinari is. Admittedly, I hadn't watched the Nuggets enough this season to realize that. I think this is where the comparison is decided. Although Gallinari doesn't have the shot blocking ability that Batum has, he seems to have the potential to become as good of a defender as Batum. However, I don't believe Batum has the potetial to become the offensive player that Gallinari should one day become.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,425

Post#15 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm

I think we can safely say Batum better shooter, passer, defender just as good at getting to the line.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2013
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#16 » by LoyalKing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 pm

based on a 6-game sample?

Plz stop it.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,425

Post#17 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:46 am

LoyalKing wrote:based on a 6-game sample?

Plz stop it.

How bout 8? Clearly better. only LBJ Melo ad Durant better and LBJ is a Pf. :lol:
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#18 » by BlackIce » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:48 am

GreenRiddler wrote:
LoyalKing wrote:based on a 6-game sample?

Plz stop it.

How bout 8? Clearly better. only LBJ Melo ad Durant better and LBJ is a Pf. :lol:

Deng. 19/7/3 on 50% FG.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#19 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:54 pm

the comparison started out between Gallo, already playing in a system under a coach that used him properly

versus Batum, who was playing in a coach's system that limited his options and did not use his skills

this season, Batum has been given more freedom and is being utilized as a primary option. The result is that he has been performing and producing at a higher level that Gallo. It was a close cal before. This season, even though the sample size is small, it sure looks like Batum is the better player
Aeternus
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Aeternus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Despite having apparently forgot how to shoot altogether, Gallo is still rebounding better (10.2 vs 9.3 TRB%) and passing just as well. He's also playing defense at the very least as good as Batum and their RAPM are not close at all: 1.56O 1.26D for Gallo and 0.76O -1.31D for Batum.

Also you can hardly say Gallo is being well utilized: he is 6'10, but always has to receive the ball at the three point line. What about some posting up or pick and roll with Lawson? He's supposedly one of the designated shooters for the Nuggets, but have you ever seen him get a screen to shoot out of? And who do you think has to shoot all the bailouts at the end of the clock? Also this season all the Nuggets offensive players have been playing badly, because the offense lacks a lot of spacing, and there's noone good enough to require double teams, taking heat away from the secondary options.

Used properly? Hah.
Gallo wishes he had an inside presence like Aldridge and someone to assist him on 83% of his jumpshots.

Return to Player Comparisons