ImageImageImageImage

Game #7: New York Knicks(4-0) @ Orlando Magic(2-4)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Re: Game #7: New York Knicks(4-0) @ Orlando Magic(2-4) 

Post#341 » by blue and white » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 am

doct3r dr3 wrote:i have little to add to the conversation, but i too was displeased with the amount of minutes coach gave nicholson tonight, for anyone wondering.

loss is a loss i guess. can't be mad about that.

Agreed x1000. I dont for the life of me understand why nicholson isnt getting a consistent 20min a night. the kid can ball. my only guess is JV feels he doesnt rebound well or is a defensive liability so hes trying to make him earn more time but regardless he cant prove anything and improve if he doesnt get time
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#342 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:43 am

blue and white wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:i have little to add to the conversation, but i too was displeased with the amount of minutes coach gave nicholson tonight, for anyone wondering.

loss is a loss i guess. can't be mad about that.

Agreed x1000. I dont for the life of me understand why nicholson isnt getting a consistent 20min a night. the kid can ball. my only guess is JV feels he doesnt rebound well or is a defensive liability so hes trying to make him earn more time but regardless he cant prove anything and improve if he doesnt get time

No one knows why he doesnt play more.
People guess that coach sees something but theyre not sure.

The answer is obvious people.

He should play more.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#343 » by thelead » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:47 am

1) We're tanking
2) JV wants rookies to earn EVERYTHING (ala SVG)

I'm happy about #1, and while I understand #2, I'm not all too thrilled about it. AN and MH deserved to play tonight.
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#344 » by Reverse_Angle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 am

does anyone gets the sense that ayon might be tanking his way to Spain?

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,270

Post#345 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:56 am

VGOSWAMI wrote:
John Denton ‏@JohnDenton555
#Magic Mo Harkless: "I wish I would have played more in the end because I thought I was doing a pretty good job on Carmelo."

this doesn't impress me at all. whether or not he did play well (and, i agree that he should have played more), it shouldn't be up to him to judge how well he played this early into his career. i want him saying "coach said i did well", not "i think i did well". that's a sign he's putting his own judgement ahead of the team.

i don't really care, as i'd rather just throw him into the deep end, but comments like these don't make me think we've got the next Durant/Duncan on the team in terms of attitude. still... it's great to see him displaying some of that potential.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#346 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 am

Nicholson and Harkless will be starters by the all star game, i reckon. or, if not, they'll be averaging close to 30mpg. book it.

JV must be pretty good at getting a player's ear. Baby going for only 5 attempts, despite having a good night and having a perfect 5/5 game, means JV must really be able to cast a spell on his guys. i'm surprised Baby didn't take that as a sign to keep on chuckin.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#347 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:06 am

Tough loss, but no shame in losing to an undefeated team right now. Rooks looked fantastic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438Ocecx1u8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHWGWU6Aurc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1e-RtDmcA[/youtube]
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#348 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:18 am

Bensational wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:
#Magic Mo Harkless: "I wish I would have played more in the end because I thought I was doing a pretty good job on Carmelo."

this doesn't impress me at all. whether or not he did play well (and, i agree that he should have played more), it shouldn't be up to him to judge how well he played this early into his career. i want him saying "coach said i did well", not "i think i did well". that's a sign he's putting his own judgement ahead of the team.

i don't really care, as i'd rather just throw him into the deep end, but comments like these don't make me think we've got the next Durant/Duncan on the team in terms of attitude. still... it's great to see him displaying some of that potential.

might be a bit harsh to say all that especially if you don't know exactly what question was asked so this quote might have been taken out of context. Me personally i think Harkless was absolutely right he did do a good job on Melo. What's wrong with telling the truth? is it hurting anyone?
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#349 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 am

Bensational wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:

No offense, but this just outright stupid.

He was playing well. It was obvious. Just because Jacque Vaughn is the coach doesnt mean he wasnt once a basketball fan like the rest of us. It's not like he has superhuman basketball knowledge. It was OBVIOUS. The kid wanted to contribute and he was.

You want him playing through entirely extrinsic motivation? "coach said I did well"? I dont want to hear that, I want to hear him go out hungry to play well. There's a reason why were paying himn millions to play basketball, and that's because he can do it better than anyone else. He needs to have confidence in himself to do what he thinks is right, because that's what has gotten him here in the first p[lace.

Oh and by the way, you're comparison of Harkless to Josh Smith, Tmac and Rudy Gay on the other thread is horribly off.

All those guys came into the league with much more advanced skillsets than Harkless currently has, and were really all destined to become all stars. I don't believe Harkless has all star potential, and if he does he will be different player than those you mentioned.

Right now he needs to model his game after being a taller Ronnie Brewer with his finishing ability around the rim and defensive ability, Be cause he cannot shoot and has a very raw offensive game.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#350 » by OrlandO » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 am

Harkless is only 19... he's going to publicly say some things that should probably stay in his head. The good thing is we'll get some transparency for a while before he starts filtering his words more when talking to the media in the moment. From what I'm hearing, this guy clearly has a ton of confidence and believes he should be out there getting major minutes, and he backed it up with excellent play on both sides of the court tonight. Talent and potential can only get you so far, I'm digging his confidence and drive to succeed. He mentioned looking up to guys like Afflalo and JJ since they take the game very seriously, which I also like. He's going to put in the work and fight to start. I just hope JOCK doesn't hear this and then punish him for it by playing him much less the next game.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#351 » by I Rasharted » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:52 am

Managed to watch almost the whole game tonight (a rarity). Good one: competitive, young guys played well. All you can ask for.

A loss doesn't hurt either.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#352 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:Oh and by the way, you're comparison of Harkless to Josh Smith, Tmac and Rudy Gay on the other thread is horribly off.

All those guys came into the league with much more advanced skillsets than Harkless currently has, and were really all destined to become all stars. I don't believe Harkless has all star potential, and if he does he will be different player than those you mentioned.

I feel that Gay is a pretty good comparison to Harkless as a best case scenario
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#353 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 am

I think Nicolas Batum is a better comparison for Harkless. Same kind of long lanky body type and a great defensive player who is also effective offensively. Harkless is probably the better Athlete though
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#354 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 am

Hark needs to learn how to shoot much better if he is to become anything like those guys. They came into the league knowing how to shoot. Hark cannot shoot.

Harkless will never become Rudy Gay. Batum is more likely but still a long shot because he came into the league a much better shooter.

I stand by my earlier comparison to a taller Ronnie Brewer.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#355 » by arsenal6106 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:19 am

Reverse_Angle wrote:does anyone gets the sense that ayon might be tanking his way to Spain?

Ayon is a weird one. Maybe I'm being a little picky here, but he looks emotionally detached when he's on the court.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#356 » by Clincher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:39 am

Doubt you guys remember me but I was the Knicks/Johnnies fan trying to calm some of you down on what you got in return, specifically in Moe Harkless :D. Man he looked really good tonight in his brief action, I was happy he wasn't playing more vs us because he was doing so much damage around the rim.

He's going to show flashes of this every now and then year 1, but as I said before I think he will need a year's worth of time to get accustomed to the speed and full training/weight lifting needed to have a sustainable career in the NBA. I think you guys will really enjoy this kid's game when its all said and done.

Do Magic fans like Harkless, are intrigued by his potential? I still wish we had him on St Johns :(

As for the cheerleader fall....I cringed when I saw it. Hopefully the young lady is alright, seemed like she probably got a concussion for sure.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:No offense, but this just outright stupid.

He was playing well. It was obvious. Just because Jacque Vaughn is the coach doesnt mean he wasnt once a basketball fan like the rest of us. It's not like he has superhuman basketball knowledge. It was OBVIOUS. The kid wanted to contribute and he was.

You want him playing through entirely extrinsic motivation? "coach said I did well"? I dont want to hear that, I want to hear him go out hungry to play well. There's a reason why were paying himn millions to play basketball, and that's because he can do it better than anyone else. He needs to have confidence in himself to do what he thinks is right, because that's what has gotten him here in the first p[lace.

i don't want to hear a rookie talking like he has a place in judging whether he should, or shouldn't be on the court. and going by everything Hennigan and Vaughn have said, that's exactly where their heads are at too.

i'll admit, it's harsh and an exageration of this one quote from him, but my main point was that i wouldn't take that quote as a sign of greatness or him having a great attitude.

SmiteaDwight wrote:Oh and by the way, you're comparison of Harkless to Josh Smith, Tmac and Rudy Gay on the other thread is horribly off.

Right now he needs to model his game after being a taller Ronnie Brewer with his finishing ability around the rim and defensive ability, Be cause he cannot shoot and has a very raw offensive game.

Tmac's jumpshot didn't develop until a couple of seasons in. his efficiency as a shooter is what blew everyone away when he got his exposure with us. he was primarily an athletic wing before that.

Josh Smith isn't what i'd consider a good shooter, by any means. he's manageable, but he's far from good. if Harkless can't replicate that level of performance, then he's doing something wrong.

all those guys came in with length and raw ability. Harkless has the same, and his jumpshot isn't beyond correction. PLENTY of players have developed better shooting ability since joining the league. Kobe, LeBron have even made a transition from their early years as big slashers, to their later years as all round threats.
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#358 » by Clincher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am

FFBlitzace wrote:The Knicks are pretty good, but like the Nets, they have absolutely no chance of beating a healthy Heat team. Honestly, unless the Lakers can get straightened out, the Heat are likely to just waltz their way to another title, like it or not.

I agree but we did beat them on opening day without some pieces(Amare/Shumpert) to be fair.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#359 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 am

Some positive things tonight. I think we are getting back to what we did opening night. I thought JR Smith really killed us tonight. Maurice was incredible against Melo. Melo just could not get his shot up over him. Nicholson was just getting buckets, but he still has a ways to go on defense. Can't wait to get Jameer back. Even Turk, if it's the good version of Turk.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#360 » by MagicTownBaller » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 am

Clincher wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:The Knicks are pretty good, but like the Nets, they have absolutely no chance of beating a healthy Heat team. Honestly, unless the Lakers can get straightened out, the Heat are likely to just waltz their way to another title, like it or not.

I agree but we did beat them on opening day without some pieces(Amare/Shumpert) to be fair.

To be fair, the Knicks play a lot better without Amar'e. I'll give you Shumpert though.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)

Return to Orlando Magic