Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Re: The "CCJ was right again (except about Sessions)" thread 

Post#101 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
montestewart wrote:Just hype up Crowder and, "Move along, nothing to see here."

Ahem. :)

monte, my next prediction: Charlotte will be favored over Washington.

I bet they have not been favored to win in over a year.

Yeah, but would they be favored at our house? I'm still waiting for someone around here to start predicting that Crowder is a bust.

Last night I watched four youth league games in Maryland and had a lot more fun than I would have had watching the Wizards. But I may not have a good excuse to miss the next game.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#102 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Before he was drafted, I said I thought Kenneth Faried could become a HOF player, based on what he did in college. For well over a year before he was bypassed by the Wizards and other teams, I posted about Faried.

Faried, LeBron Named Players Of The Week
Nov 12, 2012 2:39 PM ES

Kenneth Faried and LeBron James have been named the Western Conference and Eastern Conference Players of the Week.

Faried averaged 16.8 points and 12.8 rebounds while shooting .563 (27-of 48) from the field during the Nuggets' four games of the week.

Via RealGM Staff Report

SOAP BOX TIME -- I'm stepping on to say this to Ted Leonsis/Ernie Grunfeld/Team Lurkers
==========================================================================================

1. Kenneth Faried would have been a Wizard if someone very prideful didn't discount my advice. You can listen or you can be reminded later that you should have done. (Millsap over Pecherov in a trade down; Steph Curry instead of Miller, Foye; DeJuan Blair instead of cash; Barton in this draft instead of Satoransky--Crowder seems the even better selection than the LUDICROUS move EG made).
2. Nene was a choice I would have advised against. (McGee was a restricted FA, and worth 11M)
3. Okafor and Ariza is not the move I would have made (Lewis buyout)
4. Andray Blatche amnesty should have been delayed and given another year to build trade value.
5. James Singleton should still be a Wizard.
6. Shelvin Mack should have made the roster instead of Jannero Pargo
7. There would not be a logjam at SF forcing Singleton to PF and Vesely out of the NBA. That is dumb

I could go on, but I just want to say I bring these things up for a reason. Washington would be way, way, way better if they would come off their prideful arrogance. I'm prideful. I'm arrogant at times. But the difference between my ideas and what Ernie has done is something I will leave for them to decide.

EDITED To add one more: 8. Before he resigned I said I feared Gilbert Arenas knows his body is breaking down. He has not healed and had a bad playoffs. It was the worst time to opt out and demand a contract not only for him but for Antawn Jamison. I said let Gilbert walk and Jamison. Neither play defense and Gilbert's injury, should he never be the same player, would put the Wizards in cap hell for years. That was the single best piece of advice that I offered only to see it ignored. Different owner at that time but EG was the GM then as he is now.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#103 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Regarding CCJ's prediction that Charlotte would be better than the the Wizards this season...

Using SRS, so far it's coming true. Charlotte ranks 26th in SRS (which combines scoring margin and strength of schedule); Washington ranks 29th.

Tiny sample size, obviously. Wiz getting outscored by 6.6 points vs. league's weakest schedule thus far.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#104 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 pm

I don't think anyone is pleased with Ernie for passing on Faried twice, and it fits most of our collective narrative that Ernie's not the brightest bulb, is old school in a bad way, doesn't embrace any kind of advanced analytics -- kind of the anti-Daryl Morey.

You know what's fascinating though? Morey also passed on two shots at Faried -- instead taking Marcus Morris (14th) and Motiejunas (20th). I'd love to know Morey;s reasoning behind those guys over Faried's. I'm guessing that if we all heard him out that he;d make pretty compelling arguments for their decision at the time.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#105 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Nivek wrote:Regarding CCJ's prediction that Charlotte would be better than the the Wizards this season...

Using SRS, so far it's coming true. Charlotte ranks 26th in SRS (which combines scoring margin and strength of schedule); Washington ranks 29th.

Tiny sample size, obviously. Wiz getting outscored by 6.6 points vs. league's weakest schedule thus far.

Nivek, they are probably going to end up more like 20th by the season's end. Charlotte's emerging players are young. Their roster is dynamically balanced between young and old. Their coach is an outstanding, defensive-oriented coach with a defensive oriented lineup.

MKG is going to blow up. Kemba Walker has surprised me a lot and blown up. Sessions is going to show all the things he has at times in the past. The Bobcats have young guys who are all going improve with time. Mullens is a stretch big, like the guy who the Wizards did not value (James Singleton). Most of their team are solid defenders. Haywood and Diop are bigger than Okafor and at least on a par if not better defensively. Unlike the Wizards, Charlotte is going to have closers who emerge as the season goes on. I liked the way their roster was constructed and the reason why is unlike the Wizards, they didn't overload veterans.

Washington's GM gets Price then Pargo. He acquired Nene then traded for Okafor. Ariza came as part of the deal (and I'm actually happy with his play and Okafor's FWIW) but when the Wizards add Webster it says they plan to go with veterans all the way at SF. Why no love for Cartier Martin? All the moves the Wizards made just ignored the last 6 games. They ignored that Booker had been out in favor of James Singleton. They ignored the actual floor time team stats when USEFUL SUBS Shelvin Mack, Jan Vesely, Cartier Martin, and even Morris Almond were on the court. I don't understand Ted/EG's desire to get even more veterans (before Nene proved to be injured and out). Washington's roster seems to be made up in a convoluted way around the ideals of "adding professionals" or "respected veterans". It was just a knee jerk because the media made fun of McGee, Blatche, and Young.

The funny part is, the Wizards coaching and management should have had Okafor with Blatche. When they were giving away draft picks that could have given a young leader like Steph Curry, the Wizards rented Foye and were left with a leadership void. Nick Young wasn't the leader type but he played solid man defense and he hit the three. Like Blatche he could have been a role player. In the case of McGee, they never allowed Seraphin to rotate at C with Javale; and they never tried two, big unskilled players together like Denver is doing (when McGee is in for Koufas or Mozgov). The Wizards problem was they never had guys Asik or Koufas or Ryan Anderson to help the young players who are now former Wizards. Washington ended up saying their young guys were knuckleheads and letting them go. So much for player development.

Charlotte will not have that problem. Secure, motivated mentors, Ramon Sessions and Ben Gordon are in place to assist as Kemba grows into a lion. (Weird irony, pun intended). Getting rid of Maggette but keeping Gerald Henderson was a great call. MKG and Jeffrey Taylor have a natural mentor who is not a selfish player. Biyombo has Haywood now, instead of Diop and Tyrus. Haywood is not Tyson Chandler good on defense but he's very knowledgeable and another coach on the floor for all intents. Brendan communicates well and his insights are going to help Biyombo. The Bobcats wisely constructed this team. They even kept Matt Carroll as a locker room leader --he's their captain and a player/assistant coach.

I can't say enough how good a job I think MJ and Cho have done with the Bobcats vs how badly EG/Ted have done in some areas.
Bye bye Beal.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#106 » by rockymac52 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am

I said I disagreed with your Bobcat predictions before the season started, and I'm sticking with them. Maybe they aren't the historically terrible team they were last season. But they are still easily a bottom 5 team, quite possibly still the worst team. Give it time. Time will tell.

I feel very confident in saying that the Wizards will have more wins than the Bobcats at season's end. That, of course, hinges on Wall and Nene returning in the next 2-4 weeks, and staying healthy. Although to be honest, I think our current team (without Wall and Nene) is still slightly better than the entire Bobcats team.
RealGM

Post#107 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:24 am

Remember, this is all in fun. Just like Reggie Miller and Spike Lee. :D

Sessions scores 21 as Bobcats beat Wizards 92-76

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sessions-s ... --nba.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Reserve Ramon Sessions scored 21 points and the Charlotte Bobcats beat the winless Washington Wizards 92-76 Tuesday night to win back-to-back games for the first time since last December.

With Ben Gordon out due to a family emergency, Sessions picked up the slack and provided a much-needed boost for the Bobcats.

Trevor Ariza scored 19 points for the Wizards, who fell to 0-6. He was the only Washington player to finish in double digits in scoring.

The Bobcats (3-3) limited the Wizards to 29.8 percent shooting and outscored them 46-24 in the paint.

Prior to the season I said the Bobcat defense would be a lot better than in the past. :usa:
Bye bye Beal.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#108 » by Illuminaire » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 am

The Bobcats didn't limit the Wizards to 29.8% shooting. The Wizard's lack of talent did.

>.<
RealGM

Re: The "CCJ was right again" thread 

Post#109 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 am

TGW wrote:Can we start a coinciding "CCJ was wrong again" thread, and list all the failures that CCJ has referenced over the years?

We could start a shrine for Michael "Better than Lebron" Sweetney, Morris Almond, Ramon Sessions, etc, etc, etc....

How about we start a thread called "What do you have to say today, TGW?"

TGW, Sessions was the leading scorer on either team. Last game for Charlotte, Sessions scored the points to send the game to overtime and he scored the final points of the game. I was right about Sessions. I said Charlotte would be better and he would help them win games.

1. On Sweetney, the guy has a weight problem. (And get the quote straight. Melo, not Lebron).

2. On Morris Almond, http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... nmo01.html , check the similarity score at the bottom. Who are the first and eighth named, similar players through 3 years?

Also, Almond was a Wizard when they went 6-0. Of the 66 minutes of winning basketball, what was his +/- net points? http://www.82games.com/1112/11WAS5.HTM What did opposing SGs shoot when Almond was on the court?

Almond held his own for 66 minutes while the Wizards went 6-0. I hear a lot of people offer subjective opinions about how he looked. I'm telling you he was much more effective at not getting outplayed at SG those six games, in brief minutes, than Ariza has been at SF over 6 games this season. Who knows what kind of player he is, but if Matt Carroll can have a long NBA career so can Morris Almond.

You want to point out my failures but all I will do is say Sessions beat the Wizards and Charlotte is three games ahead of Washington, TGW.
Bye bye Beal.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#110 » by willbcocks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 am

This thread cracks me up. The title is excellent. And, although it's only six games into the season, Washington is 0-6, Charlotte 3-3, and Sessions helped whoop our butts. Right now, CCJ deserves to rub it in everyone's face.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#111 » by barelyawake » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:11 pm

CCJ your next shortie should be Jarnell Stokes. People forget how young he is -- having entered college at 17 (because he was an honor student). Size 20 shoe, 7'1 wingspan, 240 already. And his hobby is playing chess against the old guys in the park.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#112 » by Dat2U » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Dat2U was right again :) about: Royce White. Is this dude ever going to man up, stop making excuses and eventually play in an NBA game?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#113 » by fishercob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Dat2U wrote:Dat2U was right again :) about: Royce White. Is this dude ever going to man up, stop making excuses and eventually play in an NBA game?

You don't "man up" your way out of mental illness. You can fault the Rockets for drafting someone with medical red flags, but you have no right to criticize White for his disease.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#114 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Dat2U wrote:Dat2U was right again :) about: Royce White. Is this dude ever going to man up, stop making excuses and eventually play in an NBA game?

Speaking from experience with something a little different but potentially devastating in its own right, I KNEW the Rockets were making a mistake. White is much more of a risk than Cousins ever was. With airport security the last thing the Rockets need is a situation in which anxiety causes a great big, black man to lose his composure.

The things White are battling have nothing to do with a lack of maturity. His social anxiety is serious stuff, Dat, and this young man is someone who could be so tortured that he may become suicidal. "Crazy" or irrational doesn't make sense.

I was also concerned that his background featured a dismissal from the University of Minnesota for theft. A. J. Price learned from his mistake so I should not value judge Royce White. I do, however, consider he has a few more things on top of that past misstep. White would lose a FT shooting contest to Vesely -- something that I see as possibly an anxiety-related problem, too.

White is a player the Rockets are going to very likely regret drafting.

Instead of making things so negative I wish they would reshape what they're doing. Pay him for the home games and practices he can attend. Strategize a way that he can be a useful practice player. Instead of reacting negatively to Royce White, educate his teammates to the differences between Depression, Anxiety, Shame, Guilt, etc. Royce has some things he has real problems with and I think they should look at him as a disabled guy.

The main thing is they need to either seek to void Royce White's contract for medical reasons, and reach some sort of settlement; or, they need to see if they can restructure White's deal for when he can play. Instead of vilify or assassinating the man's character, the Rockets need to make something positive about how they are making the best accommodations possible for him and the team to move forward.

Sorry for the rant, but mental health issues are something I am very passionate about.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#115 » by Nivek » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 pm

I thought Houston made a mistake picking White strictly for on-court reasons. The anxiety disorder was another layer entirely.

That said, I have great sympathy for White. As fish correctly points out, "get over it" isn't a solution to mental illness.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#116 » by Rafael122 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

At this point I think its a lot more than just anxiety. I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't be surprised if has some sort of bipolar disorder. Apparently this isn't the first time he's pulled a stunt like this.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
RealGM

Post#117 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:44 pm

It certainly could be bipolar disorder and/or some form of schizoaffective disorder, Raf. Those illnesses are more serious than generalized anxiety and (IMO) simple stress-related response to certain stimuli.

Whatever is going on with Royce White sounds more serious than dude doesn't like to fly, or dude needs to man up.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#118 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 am

Agree that Royce White doesn't need any bad karma from us. He's suffering; let him alone.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#119 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 am

payitforward wrote:Agree that Royce White doesn't need any bad karma from us. He's suffering; let him alone.

But at the same time he's not doing himself any favors by going on Twitter and ranting.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#120 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 am

I was right about Greivis Vasquez :D

Return to Washington Wizards