ImageImageImageImageImage

Mike Bresnahan: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Re: Mike Bresnahan: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni 

Post#461 » by GAME TIME » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:19 pm

He said, that he thinks Steve Blake is perfect for the system, he's been wanting him for 10 years

:o
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#462 » by GAME TIME » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 pm

poster from lg recap

*Says Pau Gasol will see some time at Center.

*Already told Jodie Meeks to stop trying to drive and just shoot.

*Says there is no reason why we shouldn't average 110-115 PPG.

*Says no reason why we shouldn't be a good defensive team, admitted that the personnel to be successful at defense in Phoenix just wasn't there.

*When Phoenix got Steve Nash, he learned the offense in literally an hour and a half. Doesn't expect a long transition for the team.

*No set plays we be called.

*Interesting theory about possessions. Says if your team is more talented than the other team, you benefit from having more possessions because chance, random variation, and bad calls will have a lesser impact on the game relatively speaking.

*Dwight's touches and ability to get to the rim should increase. When 100% healthy, expects Dwight to be "unstoppable".

*D'Antoni thinks Steve Blake (!!!!!!!???????) is perfect for the system and said that he's wanted Blake on his teams for the past 10 years.

*Dismisses the "small ball can't win in the playoffs" notion. Said that San Antonio beat the Suns in the playoffs using small ball and that it's not like the Suns owned the Spurs in the regular season and then suddenly failed in the playoffs. The Suns sucked against the Spurs in the regular season too so it was just a bad matchup.

*Says that great players make great coaches. Coaches can only screw things up (Mike Brown anyone?).

*He wants to give players a leash and let them gain a sense of comfort. Doesn't want to over-coach (Mike Brown anyone?).
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#463 » by Jajwanda » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm

So basically they want to try to move Blake, MWP, and Duhon...
LateRoundFlyer
Junior
And1: 8

Post#464 » by LateRoundFlyer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 am

Jajwanda wrote:So basically they want to try to move Blake, MWP, and Duhon...
\

Confirmed.

GAME TIME wrote:poster from lg recap

LakerFan87 wrote:*Says Pau Gasol will see some time at Center.

*Already told Jodie Meeks to stop trying to drive and just shoot.

*Says there is no reason why we shouldn't average 110-115 PPG.

*Says no reason why we shouldn't be a good defensive team, admitted that the personnel to be successful at defense in Phoenix just wasn't there.

*When Phoenix got Steve Nash, he learned the offense in literally an hour and a half. Doesn't expect a long transition for the team.

*No set plays we be called.

*Interesting theory about possessions. Says if your team is more talented than the other team, you benefit from having more possessions because chance, random variation, and bad calls will have a lesser impact on the game relatively speaking.

*Dwight's touches and ability to get to the rim should increase. When 100% healthy, expects Dwight to be "unstoppable".

*D'Antoni thinks Steve Blake (!!!!!!!???????) is perfect for the system and said that he's wanted Blake on his teams for the past 10 years.

*Dismisses the "small ball can't win in the playoffs" notion. Said that San Antonio beat the Suns in the playoffs using small ball and that it's not like the Suns owned the Spurs in the regular season and then suddenly failed in the playoffs. The Suns sucked against the Spurs in the regular season too so it was just a bad matchup.

*Says that great players make great coaches. Coaches can only screw things up (Mike Brown anyone?).

*He wants to give players a leash and let them gain a sense of comfort. Doesn't want to over-coach (Mike Brown anyone?).

The part I bolded makes a lot of sense on paper. It's basically the law of large numbers, or as it is more commonly known, the law of averages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

This was something I couldn't understand about Mike Brown, and Kenny even pointed out a week before he got fired. Yes, Brown's grind-it-out defensive schemes may have kept us in games, but one can just as easily say that they prevented us from blowing opponents out by 15-20 points.
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#465 » by minifang » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:08 am

Yeah, it's really smart reasoning. As a big numbers guy, the theory is sound but I don't know if that tempo is suitable for our teams age.
The Purple and Gold
LateRoundFlyer
Junior

Post#466 » by LateRoundFlyer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 am

Now that I think out about it, wouldn't it be weird if the coach we have now is, in reality, more of an actual stats guy than the one we had before? Think about it for a second. How many times did you hear D'Antoni stress the importance of high-percentage plays? I wasn't even fully watching and four or five moments jump out at me, so it will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments he makes in-game.

It also makes perfect sense from the standpoint of Jim Buss trying to bring in a more quantitative approach to player analysis, though I still believe the hire was Jerry's idea.
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#467 » by GAME TIME » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 am

I just hope Dan Tony doesn't read off stats of each player after every game like brown did, dam, that was so annoying
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#468 » by GAME TIME » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 am

Yes Dan Tony stated like if you aren't a talented team, then you would want to keep the possessions as minimum as possible, because you have a better chance of winning or be in the game, with a foul here and there, the more talented team could lose.

If you have a talented team, then you would want to get a maximum of possession, because the combo of offense and defense, you should win the battles.

Something like that
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#469 » by Slava » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:41 am

GAME TIME wrote:I just hope Dan Tony doesn't read off stats of each player after every game like brown did, dam, that was so annoying

D'Antoni was a pro basketball player that played at a high level. He atleast will make more educated statements than "Where were you at in May" Brown.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#470 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am

:o
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#471 » by Jajwanda » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:46 am

I could see a Pau trade coming. Frankly I don't think Nash has any problem running the floor, it's not as tiring as people make it out to be. Kobe if anything will have it easier if the shot-clock doesn't force him to penetrate and make difficult shots while getting hit without a foul.

The two players that slow this train down are Pau and MWP. They're playing their cards right for moving those two.
EnigmaticProblem
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#472 » by EnigmaticProblem » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 am

Anyone who thinks Pau will be traded is reaching. Who would they trade Gasol for? The Lakers are NOT going to jeopardize their 2014 free agency arrangement.
LateRoundFlyer
Junior

Post#473 » by LateRoundFlyer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 am

Who said one implied the other? Stop assuming you know what other people are thinking.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#474 » by Dr Aki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 am

EnigmaticProblem wrote:Anyone who thinks Pau will be traded is reaching. Who would they trade Gasol for? The Lakers are NOT going to jeopardize their 2014 free agency arrangement.

rudy gay and filler big man depth
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#475 » by MistyMountain20 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 am

I'm actually a little excited to see what happens. Mike D has his deficiencies as coach, will see if he's learned from his earlier stops.
LateRoundFlyer
Junior

Post#476 » by LateRoundFlyer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05 am

Aki wrote:rudy gay and filler big man depth

It'd have to be a three-way, if it ever happened (and it won't). MEM is not paying Z-Bo $16m to move to the 3 or come off the bench. CLE is an intriguing possibility here, but we'd most definitely have to throw our 2014 first-rounder into the pot and find a place for one of their scrubs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d8turld

Nash/Blake/Morris/Duhon
Bryant/Meeks
Gay/Jamison
Metta/Hill
Howard/Sacre

That's suddenly a fast break team, with players that can also do this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjEHXJIXFto[/youtube]
tysonironmike
Senior
And1: 5

Post#477 » by tysonironmike » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 am

Just saw the whole D'Antoni press conference, Love this guy already, He is a smart man.
bandiger
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#478 » by bandiger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:48 am

All in for Showtime 2.0, no sets plays, point guard dominated system, aggressive kobe, offense as a rhythm/flow, more possessions, less post up howard/pau. Should be exciting to watch.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#479 » by Dr Aki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:09 am

tysonironmike wrote:Just saw the whole D'Antoni press conference, Love this guy already, He is a smart man.

so was mike brown, articulate does not a coach make

btw...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Mi3b4vcCE[/youtube]
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#480 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 am

^LOL that's awesome :lol:

But anyway I never thought Mike Brown was articulate. Quite the opposite actually. He always sounded like a bumbling buffoon in postgame interviews. He could never give a straight answer to a question. If a reporter ever asked him about something specific that happened in-game, he'd always say "well I'm not sure I'll have to watch the tape". God I'm so glad he's gone.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers