Purely hypothetical: Damian Lillard's value?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Purely hypothetical: Damian Lillard's value? 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm probably going to get roasted by Blazer fans for even posting this, so let me issue this disclaimer.... The Blazers are NOT looking to trade Lillard. It's the first time they've had a competent PG in a decade, maybe longer depending on how your opinion of Mighty Mouse.

So out of nothing but just pure unadulterated curiosity, what do people think Lillard's trade value might be?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Re: Purely hypothetical: Damian Lillard's value? 

Post#2 » by Case2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 pm

I'd only trade him for Rondo or CP3 at the pg position.
Instagram: @casetwelve
j_angel
Analyst
And1: 366

Post#3 » by j_angel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm

No way is he worth Rondo ...

Hes a very good player but Portland would be lucky to get someone like Holiday, Lawson, Curry (if he was not injured) for him.
lewdog
Rookie
And1: 88

Post#4 » by lewdog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:09 pm

j_angel wrote:No way is he worth Rondo ...

Hes a very good player but Portland would be lucky to get someone like Holiday, Lawson, Curry (if he was not injured) for him.

Because of his age and potential (it's looking like he'll be runner-up for ROY) he just may be worth Rondo. It's close.

However agreed, a healthy Curry and Lawson are probably more likely the value at this point.
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#5 » by DusterBuster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

For my money, Lillard is just as good as Lawson, Holiday and a healthy Curry, not to mention he's younger and still has room to grow whereas those guys pretty much are what they are. So if that is his value, I'd say then he has a neutral trade value, wherein whoever he gets traded for wouldn't really be an upgrade, more of just a wash.

That's kind of what I expected, particularly considering the PG spot being so dang strong and deep in the NBA right now.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:19 pm

lewdog wrote:Because of his age and potential (it's looking like he'll be runner-up for ROY) he just may be worth Rondo. It's close.

He is? Seems way too early to make that call one way or another.
j_angel
Analyst
And1: 366

Post#7 » by j_angel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Lillard has started great and I am a massive fan. But his is the same age as Holiday and only 2 years younger than Lawson/Curry.
He does have more value than those guys because of his salary but not because of production.
He is still a risk, he needs to be doing this consistently for more than one season before he has real value. (Tyreke Evans is a perfect example of this)

I see Lawson/Holiday his ceiling, maybe a little bit better. (a healthy Curry could be a top 5 pg)
He should be in the conversation for top 10 pg, but not top 5.

He will not be as good as Rose, CP3, Westbrook or Rondo.
He will be mentioned in the same conversation as Teague, Dragic and the guys I just mentioned.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#8 » by cucad8 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:48 pm

these type of threads are pointless.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#9 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:06 pm

No team is going to trade a proven star for him and Portland will want way more then he's worth.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#10 » by franktony » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:03 pm

WOW so after 10 games Lillard is worth Rondo ?

Portland fans starting the homerism early this time. :lol:
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Case2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:30 pm

franktony wrote:WOW so after 10 games Lillard is worth Rondo ?

Portland fans starting the homerism early this time. :lol:

Because of how good Lillard is right now, and the fact that he has so much potential, I would only trade him for someone whose reached their potential, like Rondo or CP3. My reasoning is based on the fact that there is little to no risk in trading him for one of those guys. If you're going to trade Lillard for one of those guys you also have to take into account he might be as good or better by the time he's the same age as the players I mentioned too.

The players other people have mentioned all have big salaries, or have injuries or are not living up to their new contracts. Lawson has stunk this year, so has Curry (plus he has injuries) and Holiday hasn't been good either.

I didn't mention Westbrook, because he's a ballhog.
I didn't mention Rose because of his contract and ACL injury.

Rondo isn't as good a shooter but I think he's a hall of famer and the best point guard in the league. CP3 is a very close second.

Lillard = Already good, plus great potential, and on a rookie deal, with rfa rights.

SOOOO to recap, every other pg his age is on a a bigger deal, has struggled this season, or has very concerning injury histories.

No way are the Blazers trading him, but if they were, Rondo and CP3 would be the only players I would deal for. Maybe not even Paul because of his unrestricted free agent status, and I doubt he would stay in a small market.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Case2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Actually, Irving is probably the only player whose comparable based on my assessment that isn't a superstar, but again that's probably a wash.
And I should mention that his value is higher because there isn't anyone that would give us an immediate upgrade.
koolcrud
Senior
And1: 398

Post#13 » by koolcrud » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 pm

LOL, if OKC offered a locked-up Westbrook for Lillard, Portland would say yes so fast.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#14 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 am

I would trade him for Lawson and a future 1st from Denver. I think he turns out to be a poor-man's Russell Westbrook, but not that poor.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Case2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 am

koolcrud wrote:LOL, if OKC offered a locked-up Westbrook for Lillard, Portland would say yes so fast.

Maybe, maybe not. Westbrook is a ball hog, and he's on a spendy deal. Getting Westbrook might make us better immediately, but he also takes away all of our flexibility. Furthermore, I don't think Westbrook makes us a contender, but he would make us the westcoast Hawks. Lillard is probably a poor mans Westbrook but he's on a rookie deal and we can match any offer made on him in the next 4 years. Also, we still have cap space, and will suck enough to get another lotto pick.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Case2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 am

melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#17 » by melo mvp 15 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 am

You have to take into account that Lillard will make like 1/3 or 1/4 of what all those all star PGs will make, not to mention you're in position to lock him up long term after his rookie deal.
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#18 » by Alienware » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:27 am

Irving has more value than him. Just as young, but already more productive and his ceiling is just so damn high.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,327

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:31 am

So you wouldnt trade Lilliard for Westbrook or Uncle Drew? And you dont consider yourself a homer? mmmmmmmmmmm ok

Westbrook is less a ball hog than he is a great scorer. KD doesnt lead the league in scoring 3x in a row if Westbrook is really a ball hog and KD and Harden werent among the top 4th quarter scorers if Westbrook is nothing but a ballhog.

Westbrook is a dominant player who is still extremely young who plays his tail off at both ends and never misses games but hes not a small-conference rookie whose looked pretty good for 10 games.....SMH You are way way underrating how good Westbrook is. Hes a beast.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TPV
Senior
And1: 144

Post#20 » by TPV » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 am

I agree with the OP's thinking. Unless you're getting an established superstar type player back, there's no point in trading him. Of all the point guards who are still playing out their rookie contracts and haven't been extended, I'd say only Irving and pre-injury Rubio are better.

If I were Portland, I'd only trade him for Paul, Rondo or Irving if we're talking about point guards. That's not to say he's better or will be better than guys like Westbrook or Rose, but that finding the production he brings at his price is extremely valuable.

Return to Trades and Transactions