ESPN Insider rumors/speculation

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

ESPN Insider rumors/speculation 

Post#1 » by wichmae » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am

Hollinger wrote:The Suns' predicament
Before the season started, ESPN's own John Hollinger pegged Phoenix to finish No. 15 in the Western Conference in 2012-13. That's dead last to you and me.

So it doesn't take a team of experts to tell you that this Suns' team simply don't have the look of a contender. Thus, we have to believe the Suns' brass might have to decide whether dealing Gortat, whose value is at an all-time high, could be the only way this team improves.

It's not that simple, though. Gortat is one of the team's best players, he plays a premium position, and he's one of the league's best bargains -- owed $7,258,960 this season and $7,727,280 in 2013-14.

The Suns certainly don't have to trade him, but if they keep him they'll have to do so with the idea that they'll be able to re-sign him to a long-term deal, however expensive it might be. Keep in mind what Roy Hibbert (four-years, $58 million) and JaVale McGee (four-years, $44 million) signed for as restricted free agents this past offseason.

That said, here are five possible trade partners with Phoenix for Gortat:

Milwaukee Bucks | Gortat and Kendall Marshall for Tobias Harris, John Henson and Drew Gooden

Center is the one glaring weakness for Scott Skiles' team, which is why Gortat would make a lot of sense in Milwaukee. He'd provide an immediate upgrade over Samuel Dalembert, Larry Sanders and Joel Przybilla and relieve some pressure off of Ersan Ilyasova in the frontcourt as well.

Phoenix already has Luis Scola and Michael Beasley signed for the next three seasons, so there isn't a huge need for more forwards on the roster, but the opportunity to added a pair of talented young players like Tobias Harris and John Henson would be too much to pass up, even if it means taking on Drew Gooden's salary through 2014-15.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Re: Hollinger rumors/speculation 

Post#2 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 am

wichmae wrote:
Hollinger wrote:The Suns' predicament
Before the season started, ESPN's own John Hollinger pegged Phoenix to finish No. 15 in the Western Conference in 2012-13. That's dead last to you and me.

So it doesn't take a team of experts to tell you that this Suns' team simply don't have the look of a contender. Thus, we have to believe the Suns' brass might have to decide whether dealing Gortat, whose value is at an all-time high, could be the only way this team improves.

It's not that simple, though. Gortat is one of the team's best players, he plays a premium position, and he's one of the league's best bargains -- owed $7,258,960 this season and $7,727,280 in 2013-14.

The Suns certainly don't have to trade him, but if they keep him they'll have to do so with the idea that they'll be able to re-sign him to a long-term deal, however expensive it might be. Keep in mind what Roy Hibbert (four-years, $58 million) and JaVale McGee (four-years, $44 million) signed for as restricted free agents this past offseason.

That said, here are five possible trade partners with Phoenix for Gortat:

Milwaukee Bucks | Gortat and Kendall Marshall for Tobias Harris, John Henson and Drew Gooden

Center is the one glaring weakness for Scott Skiles' team, which is why Gortat would make a lot of sense in Milwaukee. He'd provide an immediate upgrade over Samuel Dalembert, Larry Sanders and Joel Przybilla and relieve some pressure off of Ersan Ilyasova in the frontcourt as well.

Phoenix already has Luis Scola and Michael Beasley signed for the next three seasons, so there isn't a huge need for more forwards on the roster, but the opportunity to added a pair of talented young players like Tobias Harris and John Henson would be too much to pass up, even if it means taking on Drew Gooden's salary through 2014-15.

No. No. No. Since when do we have a weakness at center?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#3 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 am

I think paul would commit suicide.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 am

I would maim people if we made that trade.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#5 » by Newz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:12 am

I like Gortat and Kendall Marshall, but I wouldn't do this trade.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#6 » by LittleRooster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 am

No thanks
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#7 » by wichmae » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am

I probably wouldnt do it either but some of you are really undervaluing how good Gortat is.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#8 » by paul » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I think paul would commit suicide.

Lulz, yeah that might do me in.

Gortat's value will be less than half what it was at the start of this season by the start of next season. He's down to 11/10 now at a career low from the field and sinking like a stone. He's still blocking 3 shots a game which is great but that's sinking quickly as well. Without Nash gifting him 8 points a game he's a decent enough 9/10 kind of guy who plays OK D, but he'll be 29 before the season ends and Sanders could very well be the better player between the 2 by the time the next season starts.

This trade would be idiotic.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#9 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 am

No.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#10 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 am

wichmae wrote:I probably wouldnt do it either but some of you are really undervaluing how good Gortat is.

Has nothing to do with that though, has to do with staying with the direction of the team and developing the youth.

Also, Kendall Marshall stinks.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#11 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 am

Newz wrote:I like Gortat and Kendall Marshall, but I wouldn't do this trade.

This, but much more strongly against it. More like...

Newz wrote:I like Gortat and Kendall Marshall, but there is no way in hell I would do this trade :lol:
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#12 » by Newz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:19 am

wichmae wrote:I probably wouldnt do it either but some of you are really undervaluing how good Gortat is.

I like it's actually pretty close value wise, especially since we get to dump Gooden.

My thing is that I just wouldn't be giving up young players in our position. Especially young players with the talent that Tobes (guy who can be a legit 20 PPG scorer) and Henson (looks to have a decent touch offensively and could potentially be a great defender) have.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#13 » by paul » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 am

It's going to be fascinating to see how Gortat is viewed after he puts up something around 10/9 with a .520 ish TS% on one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA this season - whether his rating goes back to 'excellent backup' or someone is still willing to pay him huge coin on his next deal.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,839

Post#14 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 am

This tells me that Hollinger doesn't watch any of our games.

We don't have Bogut so the media figures that ourz centerz positionz must be the sucks.....

Uh John, crunch some of your numbers in the Scantron 4000 and you'd probably figure out that our center position is out producing the Suns center position.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#15 » by CanadaBucks » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:36 am

Not that the Suns would but do people change their minds if you change one of Harris/Henson for Dally and maybe our 1st??
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,839

Post#16 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:38 am

CanadaBucks wrote:Not that the Suns would but do people change their minds if you change one of Harris/Henson for Dally and maybe our 1st??

No.

We don't need Gortat. We've got Sammy for the grind it game and the Larry/Udoh show for the balance of the game. I'll take that three headed monster over most other center options save for the star guys like Dwight.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#17 » by stellation » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 am

Blurgh! No way any sane person for Milwaukee does that trade, so obviously a fair chance it happens.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#18 » by Badgerlander » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:41 am

Hell no
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#19 » by bullox » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 am

So I take it Hollinger is a Suns fan?
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#20 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 am

Very much no John.