ImageImageImageImageImage

J.R. SMITH : best price/benefit ratio?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Re: J.R. SMITH : best price/benefit ratio? 

Post#41 » by Oscirus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 am

I guess nobody is gonna want the no 3/4 scorer on a playoff team. Absolutely not with those character issues. GMAB, GMAB, smith is getting paid next year regardless of whether its with us or an overpaying lottery team with a starter slot to give him.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#42 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 am

Oscirus wrote:I guess nobody is gonna want the no 3/4 scorer on a playoff team. Absolutely not with those character issues. GMAB, GMAB, smith is getting paid next year regardless of whether its with us or an overpaying lottery team with a starter slot to give him.

None of the playoff teams have cap-space. None of the lotto teams will pay him. He doesn't fit a lotto team.
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#43 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Unless a contender with deep pockets comes offer JR 4/40, I believe we keep JR at 4/24 or whatever the maximum is we can offer. JR said he's at a point where he wants to win and be close to home. Don't be surprised to see Chris Smith take James White or Chris Copeland's roster spot nest summer either.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#44 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:Unless a contender with deep pockets comes offer JR 4/40, I believe we keep JR at 4/24 or whatever the maximum is we can offer. JR said he's at a point where he wants to win and be close to home. Don't be surprised to see Chris Smith take James White or Chris Copeland's roster spot nest summer either.

There is no contender with cap space or the ability to do a S&T for JR. Knicks can offer him 4/$21M max. I would like to see the Knicks offer 3/$15M or get a team option for the 4th year, since JR could start declining in 2-3 years.

Bottom line is that you want to remain flexible when Melo/Amare expire in 2015.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,307

Post#45 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:53 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
sebstar wrote:I think you're seriously overplaying this "character issue" stuff. What exactly has J.R done that would significantly impact his future earning potential? If continues with his mature attitude and high level of play, he'll certainly be a hot commodity on the market during the offseason. He'll be in that 10+ mill a year range.

I'm hardly over-stating his "character" issues. He's had problems everywhere he went to. Bulls let him go for nothing. Nuggets didn't want to re=sign him even on the cheap.

He's been doing well in NY with Woodson coddling him, but he may very well implode some place else.

I will say it again - NO MATTER HOW WELL HE PLAYS THIS SEASON, NONE OF THESE LOTTERY TEAMS ARE BIDDING FOR JRs SERVICES.

It's all fine and good for us to be politically correct in our personal lives and on a message board, but let's be real here.

It doesn't matter what JR Smith has or hasn't done. We could sit here and argue the moral merits of his past actions and affiliations. But it's completely irrelevant.

All that matters is that a lot of teams in the NBA are very sensitive to losing money from having a "JR Smith type" of image.

Again, nobody's advocating racism or passing unfair judgement on the kid here. But the reality is, his image is a problem for his earnings potential in an NBA market that still relies on ticket sales and ad revenue from people who simply don't relate to and don't like JR Smith's image.

Can his value as a basketball talent overcome his image problems? Absolutely. But it's an uphill climb. If you don't think image affects market value, please see the contracts of our recent Harvard and Stanford graduates.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
knicksosmoove
Lead Assistant
And1: 23

Post#46 » by knicksosmoove » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm

don't really like JR, but he is definitely underpaid. I don't know if I'm grateful that he took less money to play for the Knicks or if I feel sorry for him for being stupid . . .
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,871

Post#47 » by GONYK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 pm

knicksosmoove wrote:don't really like JR, but he is definitely underpaid. I don't know if I'm grateful that he took less money to play for the Knicks or if I feel sorry for him for being stupid . . .

JR being underpaid this season has absolutely nothing to do with him being stupid. It's probably the smartest decision he's made in his whole career.
knicksosmoove
Lead Assistant
And1: 23

Post#48 » by knicksosmoove » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:12 pm

GONYK wrote:
knicksosmoove wrote:don't really like JR, but he is definitely underpaid. I don't know if I'm grateful that he took less money to play for the Knicks or if I feel sorry for him for being stupid . . .

JR being underpaid this season has absolutely nothing to do with him being stupid. It's probably the smartest decision he's made in his whole career.

how so? he's probably missing out on millions of dollars.

j.r.'s not the caliber of player who needs a legacy ... "superstars" can chase dreams of rings because they'll get paid no matter what ... to me, JR's the type of players who's just gotta make sure he sticks around and gets paid
cgmw
RealGM

Post#49 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:13 pm

After showing camera shots of just about every Knick grimacing and giving looks of concern when Kidd needed stitches yesterday, in pops that dude...

cgmw
RealGM

Post#50 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 pm

To clarify, I find it hilarious.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#51 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm

knicksosmoove wrote:
GONYK wrote:

j.r.'s not the caliber of player who needs a legacy ... "superstars" can chase dreams of rings because they'll get paid no matter what ... to me, JR's the type of players who's just gotta make sure he sticks around and gets paid

It's a nice start to fixing the formerly mentioned image problems that might scare teams off from offering him a long term contract. It also means he'll be on what appears to be a playoff team that can go deep, which means more exposure league wide and nationally...So he may be adding to his value and creating a long term pay raise despite a short term pay cut.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#52 » by GONYK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm

knicksosmoove wrote:
GONYK wrote:

He's not missing out on millions of dollars.

We're going to give him a big raise next offseason.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#53 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:36 pm

GONYK wrote:He's not missing out on millions of dollars.

We can't give him more than $5M PER.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#54 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:39 pm

fdr2012 wrote:

What about incremental raises? I keep seeing that figure but no one explains it...where the hell is suicidedeuce or kosmovitelli when we need 'em.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#55 » by GONYK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm

fdr2012 wrote:

Can you provide where you are getting that info from? I just want to know for my own edification.

Either way, he's probably not getting more than that in this new CBA. Plus, this is where he wants to play.
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#56 » by GeneralNbaFan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm

There is no way he makes less than 8 mio.... Novak is making 4..... Batum is making 10....

I personally dont believe that players are loyal, but JR is...... or really stupid.....
but I think he saw a chance to becoming a better player here....
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#57 » by Sark » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm

GONYK wrote:
Sark wrote:Basically everyone is saying he is the best signing of the offseason, and underpaid, yet he won't get paid next year? :roll:

Who said he's not getting paid next year?

All we are saying is that the Knicks will be the ones who are paying him

I know that we will pay him, but he will get a nice offer from someone and we'll have to match.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#58 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:38 pm

GONYK wrote:Can you provide where you are getting that info from? I just want to know for my own edification.

Either way, he's probably not getting more than that in this new CBA. Plus, this is where he wants to play.

$5M is the maximum you can pay for a guy with early bird rights. It's similar to the Lin situation, only that we don't have matching rights.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#59 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Sark wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Sark wrote:Basically everyone is saying he is the best signing of the offseason, and underpaid, yet he won't get paid next year? :roll:

Who said he's not getting paid next year?

All we are saying is that the Knicks will be the ones who are paying him

I know that we will pay him, but he will get a nice offer from someone and we'll have to match.

In order to match, JR would have to be a RFA. Since he's going to be a UFA, we have no right to match.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#60 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm

j4remi wrote:What about incremental raises? I keep seeing that figure but no one explains it...where the hell is suicidedeuce or kosmovitelli when we need 'em.

I think max raises are 4% Y/oY. That means an extra 200K per year, so it comes up to something like 4/$21M.

Return to New York Knicks