ImageImageImageImage

When and will nicholson take over the PF spot?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Where will andrew end up?

Starting by the end of the season
16%
Developing his game off the bench, building playtime as a reserve.
72%
We need to upgrade and keep him on the bench
13%

Total votes: 32

freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

When and will nicholson take over the PF spot? 

Post#1 » by freespirit9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Lets be honest, big baby is not the future and watching him jack up shots and handle the ball in the post make me cringe sometimes. But hes been much better lately, and is our guy right now and for the forseable future?

But the more I watch andrew play, he seems to be our starting pf of the future. He scores in bunches when he gets minutes with very limited ISO plays ran for him. Usually catching in the high post and shooting a jumper or trying to drive. His averages per 36 are nice considering the lack of touches.

His defense is average and pretty bad against pick and rolls and cutters. But with a 7'4 wingspan and a 30inch vert, and 245lb build. he has room for improvement.

Most impressive is his footwork in the post, he seems to have a wide array of post moves and counters and gets his shot off pretty easily. I think he could really draw free throws at an awesome clip if he was used in the post more.

So with all that said, will he be our starting pf this year or next, or should we be looking for an upgrade at the pf spot ?
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Re: When and will nicholson take over the PF spot? 

Post#2 » by Reverse_Angle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm

whenever nicholson deserves to start. you do not hand out a promotion just because he is a rookie.

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
freespirit9
Banned User

Post#3 » by freespirit9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Reverse_Angle wrote:whenever nicholson deserves to start. you do not hand out a promotion just because he is a rookie.

never implied what your suggesting. but thanks for stating the obvious.i would however hand out a promotion to a rookie if he is the better option. and statistically hes playing better then the player ahead of him on a per minute basis. i did vote reserve tho, as big baby going to the bench would probably destroy his ego at this point.

Correction, glen davis per 48 is actually better. about equal per. hes rebounding more, scoring about the same, but less efficiently, and getting more assist.

but andrew hasnt been a primary offensive weapon, so the fact that his scoring average is about the same, would imply that he could produce more in glens role.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#4 » by MitchellUK » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 pm

I honestly don't see it happening any time soon. Good as he looks offensively, right now his defense is atrocious, his rebounding is subpar, and physically he just doesn't seem ready for anything beyond back-up minutes. All of those things might, and hopefully will, improve over the coming months and years, but I don't see him being ready for a starting role and load this season.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#5 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 pm

It all depends when/if Glen gets dealt. Andrew off the bench is doing just fine right now.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#6 » by rcklsscognition » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Coming off the bench now is a great opportunity for him. He can spend the majority of the game on the bench, next to a coach telling him how not to play like Glen Davis on offense.
freespirit9
Banned User

Post#7 » by freespirit9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:31 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Coming off the bench now is a great opportunity for him. He can spend the majority of the game on the bench, next to a coach telling him how not to play like Glen Davis on offense.

:lol:
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,656

Post#8 » by GameOver25 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:41 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Coming off the bench now is a great opportunity for him. He can spend the majority of the game on the bench, next to a coach telling him how not to play like Glen Davis on offense.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#9 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Not sure he'll get a chance to this season. Glen Davis and Al Harrington (when he comes back) are both ahead of him. If both get dealt, then yea. But, if a center comes back in return, either thru trade, free agency, or draft, I'd like to see us move Vucevic to PF.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#10 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:15 pm

I seriously doubt Nicholson starts this year. I don't think he will be a starting caliber player in the NBA, but more of a role player for instant offense. I hate to say Drew Gooden type of player as Nicholson has more potential, but he reminds me of that type of role player.

But Harkless, this kid could be very good. Once he develops the basketball I.Q. to learn the plays and structure of the coaches system, he could be a starter at some point this year. The thing holding these two kids back is that they are often out of rotation which hurts the system. This is probably why they may not be starters anytime soon.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#11 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:22 pm

i like to think that Nicholson's smarts are what have helped him to develop a nice offensive game, and i think that once he applies those smarts to defense he'll be much closer to becoming a starter.

i also think that Rob and JV are making a conscious effort not to allow these rookies to feel entitled, so we don't end up with another egomaniac. so i wouldn't be surprised to see them on the bench, albeit upgraded to 20mpg status, all the way through til March.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#12 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 pm

I don't know. There are many rookies all over the league that probably deserve to start over these two. Heck, Drummond rarely cracks 15 minutes and he has dominated in some games. Just saying, people should not think that it should automatically happen anytime soon. Maybe, after the trade deadline, they may get a few more minutes.

If a rookie truly want to start, they should concentrate on lockdown defense before offense. There are tons of offensive players in the league like Wafer, Gooden etc etc.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#13 » by RookieStar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I dunno if he is ready yet. We need to showcase our glut on the PF so we can trade them anyway.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#14 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Let him earn the time. I think developing him bit by bit will help him in the long run this season although i think next year it should be his position. With a season of basketball and an off-season developing his body and skills under his belt he'll probably be a beast next season and i can't wait to see how good he's gotten. Same thing with Harkless a year of experiencing an NBA season and working with the trainers throughout this season and the off-season will do wonders for him. Don't forget Vuc either people don't forget he's actually younger than Nicholson so he has untapped potential as well
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#15 » by craig01 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Starting isn't important, what is important is that he warrants playing time beyond the normal developmental stuff.

I'd expect that's going to take a while
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#16 » by MAGICian619 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:20 am

Anyone but Big Baby please.
freespirit9
Banned User

Post#17 » by freespirit9 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:48 am

bump because AN is the real deal
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#18 » by InFlames » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:48 am

Nicholson is the future.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#19 » by BaunceyChillups » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:29 am

Not sure why defense matters when Andrew is a rookie and the team is tanking
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#20 » by thelead » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:37 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:Not sure why defense matters when Andrew is a rookie and the team is tanking

I agree. I would rather give more time to the young guns have them develop all while increasing our chances on landing a young star next draft (if there's one available this year).

Return to Orlando Magic