The Shved Thread!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: Alexey Shved 

Post#61 » by Basti » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 pm

It might be a small sample size but AK doesn't seem to be too money driven to me given that he gave his last year's salary to charity when he was playing for CSKA. I'd bet he'd easily resign for less money if he can have the same role as he has now.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#62 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:41 am

C.lupus wrote:I wasn't implying that Bjelica was in the same league as AK, just that he would be a reasonably-priced apprentice. I agree with the finances. I think they are going to be able to afford probably three max-near max guys and maybe one more close to that, then have a bunch of cheaper role players. I hope they can afford to keep AK until he retires but they may have to part ways after next year if he wants another $10M per contract.

I think Bjelica has no business guarding NBA SFs on the perimeter. He should play 4. As for AK, if we can't agree on a reasonable multi-year deal I would offer him a big one year extention before Rubio and Shved go for pay raise. Not sure if it's legal though.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#63 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KawohLZWJK4[/youtube]

Klomp wrote:Assists by Game
Sacramento - 0
Toronto - 4 (Andrei, Dante, Dante, Nikola)
Brooklyn - 4 (Chase, Chase, Dante, Nikola)
Orlando - 3 (Chase, Greg, Chase)
Indiana - 7 (Chase, Dante, Greg, Malcolm, Greg, Nikola, Nikola)
Chicago - 6 (Nikola, Dante, Dante, Malcolm, Malcolm, Andrei)
Dallas - 5 (Andrei, Nikola, Andrei, Andrei, Luke)
Charlotte - 2 (Andrei, Andrei)
Golden State - 7 (Josh, Dante, Derrick, Luke, Dante, Andrei, Dante)

Assists by Player
Dante - 9
Andrei - 8
Nikola - 6
Chase - 5
Greg - 3
Malcolm - 3
Luke - 2
Derrick - 1
Josh - 1
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm

From Britt Robson:
Shved has become a favorite among a sizable contingent of both casual fans and hoop diehards from the media and the peanut gallery. I’ve been a skeptical curmudgeon of his game, for reasons that are silly and/or aesthetic, as well as some that are well-grounded. But given the paucity of quality options, including the defensively horrid prospect of resurrecting last season’s pint-sized combo of Barea and Luke Ridnour on the court together once Barea recovers from his sprained foot, I think Shved deserves the chance to handle a plurality of minutes at shooting guard until Budinger returns.

Shved, who will turn 24 next month, has a raw but intriguing skill set that is complicated by his basketball experience and his physical dimensions, both of which are fairly anomalous, compared with most of his NBA counterparts. He has played extensively as a point guard on the international stage, most notably teaming with Kirilenko to lead Russia to a bronze medal in last summer’s Olympics. And at 6-6 tall and 190 pounds, his lean, gangly frame can create matchup problems for both him and his opponents.

The general book on Shved coming into this season was that he was a poor defender but a deft passer and a solid outside shooter with unselfish, ball-sharing inclinations. During his first nine games with the Wolves, he has pretty much made a hash out of those assessments but overall has been a catalyst for more good things than bad that have happened on the court.

My biggest legitimate gripes with his game thus far are his shot selection and his maddening, chronic habit of unnecessarily leaving his feet while making a pass off the dribble. Among Minnesota’s top dozen players in minutes, only Derrick Williams shoots more frequently than Shved, and nobody on the team chucks it up from long distance more often. Given that Shved’s shooting percentage is 24.3 percent from three-point territory and 38.3 percent overall, that gunner’s mentality is problematic, and reflects his splashy, “hero ball” inclinations not only when shooting, but in his flashy proclivity to drive to the hoop and then go in the air to feed his teammates off the dribble.

But there are virtues within those vices. No doubt bolstered by his international success, Shved relishes the pressure of crunch time, and actually improves his play (albeit compared to the low bar set by his non crunch-time performance). According to his “clutch” statistics at nba.com, he doubles his shot frequency while raising his shooting accuracy from 38 percent to 55 percent in the clutch, mostly by going inside.

Now “clutch” situations produce a ridiculously small sample size — 14 minutes — so let’s expand it to Shved’s fourth quarter performance. Since Shved helped lead the way in a thrilling fourth-quarter comeback against Brooklyn in the third game of the season, Adelman has deployed him all but 81 seconds out of a possible 94 minutes in those final stanzas. He has responded with a higher shooting percentage (43.1), three-point percentage (33.3) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.71 to 1) than in the earlier quarters.

Shved does have a proclivity for being a ball-stopper; for taking his time to survey the half-court situation before reacting with a pass or shot. That’s one reason why Adelman prefers to pair him with another ball-handler who can do some of the initiation and get Shved accustomed to going with, as opposed to always initiating, the flow. Adelman has been steadfast in his belief that Shved is by nature a solid long-range shooter who will inevitably start converting those three-pointers. If so, his value will soar in the Wolves offense.

In disagreements with the coach, I defer to his greater wisdom. That said, I need to see it to believe that Shved can be reliable from three-point territory and don’t mind him running the point when Rubio is on the shelf. His size makes him look relatively slow and clumsy on the dribble, but longer strides create quickness and smaller opponents are going to have trouble getting into his path for the poke-steals that his handle seems to invite.

It remains to be seen whether Shved can sustain even this promising level of success once scouts suss his habits (especially those airborne passes) and begin to press his weaknesses. Defensively, he’s been a mixed bag, with his size again mitigating some of his flaws in positioning and help rotations.

But among the options over the next month, the Barea-Ridnour pairing is a diminutive disaster defensively, Lee lacks NBA ability (though has some value via hard work on the defensive end), and Howard shoots way too frequently. Relying on a cocky rookie with some notable flaws for major minutes is not a recipe for playoff contention. But with Roy out for a month (and diminished when he returns) and Budinger gone for three or four months, Shved is the necessary gamble at shooting guard.

http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2012/11/ ... ff-chances
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#65 » by Gunny » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:53 pm

This guy is awesome. I hope he gets a chance to play in the Rookie Challenge or whatever it's called now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpc2_jDRwWA[/youtube]

That last 3 was so cold-blooded. At least 3 feet behind the line with a guy in his face.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 10:42 am

Shved's future there is being overlooked by some Wolves followers who have clamored in recent years for the team to obtain a bona fide shooting guard. That guy is Shved, whom the team signed to a three-year, $10 million contract last summer.

"I think he will be," Adelman said when asked if Shved is the long-term answer at the shooting-guard spot. "I think he's a much better shooter than he has shown to this point. If he plays with Ricky, he'll get open shots and he'll knock those down. We've seen it time after time in practice: He makes shots. I think he'll become more of a solid shooter.

"What's good about him is you've seen his playmaking ability, too. He gives you both things."

With the Wolves headed to Philadelphia and Boston for games Tuesday and Wednesday, Rubio's return still probably is eight days away and Adelman said he prefers to bring Shved's scoring and energy off the bench alongside J.J. Barea for now rather than promote him to a starter role.

"All my career, I'm playing from the bench," Shved said. "It's important who starts the game, but it's more important who finish the game. I like playing from the bench."

But make no mistake: Rubio and Shved will play together soon -- and a lot -- in what could become one of the league's most dynamic, entertaining backcourts.

"We will see in the future," Shved said with a smile when asked how his game will fit with Rubio's. "He's very smart player. He know when he shoot, when he can give pass. He can give me pass for three-point shot. We will see how we play the next games. Right now, we play great. With Ricky, we play much, much better."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/181939091.html

It seems that being in the starting five for the Wolves isn't a big deal. Their thinking is that Shved is too valuable late in games to use him up in the opening minutes.

Shved, who has 84 fourth- quarter points, has emerged as the Wolves' top offensive threat off the bench, and Adelman wants to develop him in that valuable role when the starters are struggling.

"He's a guy we really rely on off the bench," Adelman said after Monday's practice. "He's shown us what he can do in the fourth quarter. We like to have the ball in his hands, and his decision-making has been pretty good. He finds people."

Adelman has another motive for giving quality minutes to Shved, who played the entire fourth quarter Friday in the Wolves' win over Milwaukee, scoring 10 of his 16 points in the period.

Shved and Ricky Rubio have been paired together occasionally in scrimmages since Rubio started practicing with the team Sunday. With Brandon Roy and Chase Budinger sidelined by knee injuries, Adelman has visions of a Rubio-Shved backcourt tandem once Rubio is healthy enough to play.

Giving Shved more work in the fourth quarter could be Adelman's way of preparing the Russian native to play with one of the NBA's top playmakers.

"Ricky is a very smart player," Shved said. "Everybody around him plays much better."

Shved, averaging 10.4 points and 3.7 assists, might be asked to think more about his own shot selection in the coming weeks. The Wolves learned last season that teammates get good looks at the basket when Rubio is on the floor, and Adelman wants Shved to benefit from that sharp court vision.

"Right now, he's concentrating more on trying to find people instead of looking for his shot," Adelman said of Shved. "As time moves on, he'll get into more of a comfortable zone on when to take shots and when to pass. He's a much better shooter than he's shown at this point."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22117527/

lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#67 » by lobishome » Tue Dec 4, 2012 11:40 am

Shved and Rubio seem to get along in and out the court.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#68 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Dec 4, 2012 12:39 pm

lobishome wrote:Shved and Rubio seem to get along in and out the court.

Yeah. but I think Rubio is cheating on him with Kevin.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 8:04 pm

- Do the opponents still doubt your ability to score from the distance, or did they start to guard you closer?

- They are guarding me closer. And they started to jump at my pump fakes too – before, they wouldn’t even move. Actually, it’s good that they are guarding me closer now. It’s much easier to drive to the hoop this way. When you can’t shoot, the defender would step away further and it’s easier for him to defend.

http://chernykh.wordpress.com/2012/12/0 ... me-threes/

eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#70 » by eyeteeth » Tue Dec 4, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm pretty sure that at this point, Alexy Shved has to be one of the most important players on the team. What I love most right now is that even when he's missing 3's, I often totally believe they're going in. His shooting looks good, and he is very relaxed in taking his shot, even though you can see he's needing to get rid of the ball more quickly than he ever has before now that he's facing NBA defenders. Between that and his love for the 4th quarter, it's only a matter of time before he hits a SportsCenter worthy game winner.
MagnusPinus
Analyst
And1: 148

Post#71 » by MagnusPinus » Wed Dec 5, 2012 1:11 am

Shved is a perfect definition of talented player.. U can clearly see he has the game running in his veins.. His shot, his ball handling, vision, passing ability.. they r all natural qualities.. and also on defense he is pretty active and doing great.. Really, can't wait to see him with Ricky.. Gonna be the most talented backcourt in the Nba
GuyverADL wrote:
The only thing Curry will raise from the start of the season is his cholesterol.
People do not understand Curry's reason for wanting to be a ballerina. He wanted to be able to contort his body to be able to fit in the fridge.
ThatsWhatIShved
Banned User
And1: 37

Post#72 » by ThatsWhatIShved » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:20 am

eyeteeth wrote:I'm pretty sure that at this point, Alexy Shved has to be one of the most important players on the team. What I love most right now is that even when he's missing 3's, I often totally believe they're going in. His shooting looks good, and he is very relaxed in taking his shot, even though you can see he's needing to get rid of the ball more quickly than he ever has before now that he's facing NBA defenders. Between that and his love for the 4th quarter, it's only a matter of time before he hits a SportsCenter worthy game winner.

Agreed with the shooting comment. His release is so smooth and effortless. I do wish he would get more spot up opportunities though, so many of his 3s are off the dribble it really kills his percentages.

His ability to penetrate is what really makes him key for us until Rubio gets back. He seems to have a great connection with Dante. I hope going forward he continues to accept his role off the bench.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:10 am

ThatsWhatIShved wrote:I hope going forward he continues to accept his role off the bench.

"All my career I'm playing from the bench, and this is like if you come from the bench, you need to put some energy into the game," Shved said. "This is not so important – it's important to start the game, but it's more important to finish the game. I like playing from the bench."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/12/03/12/ ... eedID=3793

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#74 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:33 am

Klomp wrote:
He know when he shoot, when he can give pass. He can give me pass for three-point shot.

I want a Shved poster with this quote on it
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:52 am

From the Sixers game thread:

Typeical wrote:shved plays like rudy ferandez

Typeical wrote:Man we dont need no damn poor man rudy fernandez

Fernandez's BEST year: 10.4 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.7 apg .425/.399
Shved, 2012-13: 10.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, .403/.338

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#76 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 5, 2012 6:08 am

Klomp wrote:From the Sixers game thread:

Typeical wrote:shved plays like rudy ferandez

Typeical wrote:Man we dont need no damn poor man rudy fernandez

Fernandez's BEST year: 10.4 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.7 apg .425/.399
Shved, 2012-13: 10.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, .403/.338

It is always fun seeing ignorant posts like that.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#77 » by LordBaldric » Wed Dec 5, 2012 8:06 am

Any T-Wolves fan with half a brain can see Alexey has shown way more star potential than D-Will/Wes/Flynn ever did.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#78 » by lobishome » Wed Dec 5, 2012 11:46 am

I was waiting the comparisons between Rudy and Shved, yep, they are handsome, white and skinny, same heigh and weigh, rookies at the same age ... and stop here.

Rudy is better shooter and more athletic than Shved, but Shved is better in the rest : BBIQ, defender, passer, ballhandling, versatility, smarter out the court, more reliable and continual, teamworker, ambitious, smarter, leadership ...while Rudy is an a$$hole.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#79 » by Basti » Wed Dec 5, 2012 12:58 pm

One thing you have to look at when comparing Rudy's and Alexey's stats (and stats only) is that Rudy had a lesser usage on all of his teams. The difference isn't much (~18% to 21%) but just looking at the stats is not fair to Rudy.

Chemistry-wise etc. it's a different story. Also, Shved most likely won't stay at these numbers anyway.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,423

Post#80 » by shrink » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:54 pm

NBA.com Rookie Ladder

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

Dec. 4 -- If you'd said before the season that I'd have Alexey Shved and Kyle Singler in my top four in December, I would have laughed.

But that's exactly where the pair lands this week, thanks to their steady play of late.

Shved has become one of Minnesota's most reliable perimeter players, especially with injuries to their two stars (Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love) and most recently as Chase Budinger (leg) and Andrei Kirilenko (back spasms) have been sidelined.

Shved continues to do a little bit of everything and has found his 3-point stroke of late, going 9-for-17 in the last three games.

1 Damian Lillard
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Kyle Singler
4 Alexey Shved
5 Harrison Barnes
6 Dion Waiters
7 Jeff Taylor
8 Anthony Davis
9 Jonas Valanciunas
10 Terrence Ross
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves