Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#481 » by Saltine » Wed Dec 5, 2012 9:23 pm

Joan on Ricky;
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... icky-rubio

To watch Rubio’s recovery is to see one thing: shooting. To anyone who covers the team, it seems that all Rubio does is shoot, shoot, shoot, all with assistant coach and former point guard Terry Porter. In his recovery, Rubio was limited the longest with lateral movement, cutting, dribbling — all the things he’s known for. But he’s been able to shoot for months, and in doing so, he’s addressed the weakest element of his game. He’ll never be a talented pure shooter, but Rubio’s long-range shot, at least in these sessions, has improved immensely.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#482 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 5, 2012 9:58 pm

Saltine wrote:Joan on Ricky;
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... icky-rubio

To watch Rubio’s recovery is to see one thing: shooting. To anyone who covers the team, it seems that all Rubio does is shoot, shoot, shoot, all with assistant coach and former point guard Terry Porter. In his recovery, Rubio was limited the longest with lateral movement, cutting, dribbling — all the things he’s known for. But he’s been able to shoot for months, and in doing so, he’s addressed the weakest element of his game. He’ll never be a talented pure shooter, but Rubio’s long-range shot, at least in these sessions, has improved immensely.

Joan is a great story-teller!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#483 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Dec 5, 2012 11:35 pm

They're just teasing us now. :cry: Come on Ricky, the NBA needs you. Would be huge if he really improved his shooting that will translate game-wise. I'm a little cautious, because Ricky in the last couple years was a great practice shooter, but it just never really translated to games, even his form changed during pressured situations (at least i thought) so who knows... But again, if his in game shooting will improve significantly, this team will be a handful to anybody. So what's the latest date of return? Sometimes next week, or the week after, just before christmas? Or we get to have his return as a present? :D
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#484 » by C.lupus » Wed Dec 5, 2012 11:45 pm

Someone reported he was targeting the 15th but it will depend on how he feels.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#485 » by Esohny » Wed Dec 5, 2012 11:52 pm

Personally, I think that his finishing near the rim is as big a weakness as his outside shooting. Unfortunately he couldn't practice driving and finishing in traffic. I'd certainly take Rubio from last season with respectable distance shooting though.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#486 » by C.lupus » Wed Dec 5, 2012 11:59 pm

He did visibly bulk up, though. The added strength should help his finishing ability.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#487 » by urinesane » Thu Dec 6, 2012 5:54 am

C.lupus wrote:He did visibly bulk up, though. The added strength should help his finishing ability.

Probably all that backyard wrestling.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#488 » by Basti » Thu Dec 6, 2012 1:34 pm

Esohny wrote:Personally, I think that his finishing near the rim is as big a weakness as his outside shooting. Unfortunately he couldn't practice driving and finishing in traffic. I'd certainly take Rubio from last season with respectable distance shooting though.

At this point I think it wouldn't be beneficial to his knees to practice driving and finishing ability. He's still quite young and he can address that in the next off-season for all I care. If he really improved his outside shooting it would be a huge plus if he can make defenses pay.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#489 » by Foye » Thu Dec 6, 2012 5:39 pm

Basti wrote:
Esohny wrote:Personally, I think that his finishing near the rim is as big a weakness as his outside shooting. Unfortunately he couldn't practice driving and finishing in traffic. I'd certainly take Rubio from last season with respectable distance shooting though.

At this point I think it wouldn't be beneficial to his knees to practice driving and finishing ability. He's still quite young and he can address that in the next off-season for all I care. If he really improved his outside shooting it would be a huge plus if he can make defenses pay.

Derrick Rose is dunking already.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#490 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 6, 2012 5:51 pm

Foye wrote:
Basti wrote:

He's also not close to practicing.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#491 » by Basti » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:04 am

Foye wrote:
Basti wrote:

I haven't read the WT article but I assume that means dunking without any opponents and such. So what if he's able to dunk? It doesn't make one a better player.

What I was going at was that Rubio has to improve his finishing ability against opponents and, again, at this point of his recovery I wouldn't want to jeopardize his health for something he can easily work on in the distant future.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#492 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:24 am

!!!!!!!

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson

#Twolves source: Rubio angling to play tomorrow. Still a better chance because his conditioning isn't 100% that we're a week away from that.

horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#493 » by horaceworthy » Fri Dec 7, 2012 7:43 am

I was almost hoping that he'd be out until January (returns from knee injuries are just something I'd rather see caution taken with), then Adrian Peterson happened. I think a lot of it has to do with him being a freak of nature athletically, but it's made me more hopeful about Rubio's return being an early Christmas present.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#494 » by C.lupus » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:28 pm

Klomp wrote:!!!!!!!

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson

#Twolves source: Rubio angling to play tomorrow. Still a better chance because his conditioning isn't 100% that we're a week away from that.

Honestly, as much as I want to see him on the floor, I hope they wait at least until Wed. That would be one more game missed and a couple extra practices in with the team.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#495 » by Basti » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:31 pm

Come on, we know that you only want a special Birthday gift, Klomp. You'll most likely receive a win tonight which should be enough :D

With that being said, Happy Birthday, Klomp. I didn't know you were older than me. I had always thought you'd be 23 or 24 now :D
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#496 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:01 pm

horaceworthy wrote:I was almost hoping that he'd be out until January (returns from knee injuries are just something I'd rather see caution taken with), then Adrian Peterson happened. I think a lot of it has to do with him being a freak of nature athletically, but it's made me more hopeful about Rubio's return being an early Christmas present.

at the risk of going ultra-homer in praise of AP, I'm having a hard time envisioning anybody in all of professional sports with the mindset to put the work into rehab AP did. He seems to have put the same determined, aggressive mentality into rehab that he puts into his runs.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#497 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:42 pm

Basti wrote:Come on, we know that you only want a special Birthday gift, Klomp. You'll most likely receive a win tonight which should be enough :D

With that being said, Happy Birthday, Klomp. I didn't know you were older than me. I had always thought you'd be 23 or 24 now :D

Nah, I'm an old fogey...I'm almost as old as Lupus! (not really)

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#498 » by Esohny » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm sure that you don't drive nearly as well as Lupus in competitive go-kart racing though.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#499 » by lobishome » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:30 pm

MARCA strikes again

MARCA : Ricky Rubio's debut this week. The PG will play against Nuggets or Mavericks at home.

1 hour ago
Joan Niesen ‏@JoanNiesen

Terry Porter, filling in as head coach, said that Ricky Rubio is a long way from being in game shape. Needs more practices, he says.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#500 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:40 pm

From what I've been hearing he is supposed to play next week.Either Wednesday or Friday

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves