ImageImageImage

C's "repeatedly" shopping Courtney Lee...

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Re: C's "repeatedly" shopping Courtney Lee... 

Post#21 » by chakdaddy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:49 am

I couldn't believe it when Mr. Clutch hit those free throws against Dallas.

Trade him if you can get something better, keep him if not; he'll be fine as a 4th guard / emergency SF.
CelticTillDeath
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#22 » by CelticTillDeath » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:41 am

WallabyPie wrote:
CelticTillDeath wrote:Well, i think thats exactly the plan. Phoenix was one of the teams interested in Lee, and we have been linked to Gortat, so when theres smoke theres usually fire. I could see a Lee, Bass, picks, for Gortat trade in the works. [...]

Actually the Suns were not interested in Lee at all. Last summer they talked with every free agent SG but Lee never visited Phoenix. They already have 4 PF, so they're not taking Bass.

Just type in "Phoenix Suns interested in Courtney Lee" on google and there is about 10 different articles that say otherwise. Once New Orleans matched the offer for Gordon, it came down to Mayo and Lee. Mayo signed with Dallas, and the Suns were interested in offering Lee a deal. I dont know if your a Celts fan, or a Suns fan, but you can certainly look it up. Just in case your too lazy to look it up, ill post a few links for you that popped up on google when i typed it in...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8140713/2012-nba-free-agency-boston-celtics-serious-suitors-guard-courtney-lee-sources-say

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix-suns/2012/7/15/3161405/phoenix-suns-nba-rumors

http://www.iamagm.com/article/timberwolves-celtics-and-suns-interested-in-courtney-lee#.UMwn4HfheSo

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1263535-nba-rumors-likely-destinations-for-top-remaining-free-agents/page/2

http://redsarmy.com/2012/07/16/things-are-moving-very-s-l-o-w-l-y-on-courtney-lee-jason-terry-front/

I mean, theres 5 articles right there that clearly say the Suns had serious interest in bringing in Courtney Lee. Now the Suns may have a decent amount of PF's, so maybe they might not be interested in Bass, but to say they had no interest in bringing in Lee is obviously just flat out wrong.

The Suns start an undersized Shannon Brown at SG right now for christ sakes. If Lee was traded to the Suns he would instantly take over the starting role and be the best SG on the team. Lets be serious.
CelticTillDeath
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#23 » by CelticTillDeath » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 am

Kobe System wrote:Hill/Blake/Ebanks for Lee/Bradley?

Is this a joke? Bradley is SIGNIFICANTLY better then every player in that deal from either side. Bradley isnt going anywhere unless hes involved in a package with other players that would net us an all star caliber player (or a boarder line all star ala Josh Smith). Rondo, Doc, and Danny, LOVE them some Avery Bradley. Hes certainly not being traded for 3 bums.
WallabyPie
Senior
And1: 13

Post#24 » by WallabyPie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:37 am

@CelticTillDeath: All this articles were just rumors... And even if the Suns were interested in Lee this summer I'm sure they wanted to sign him to a similar contract they signed Shannon Brown, not this albatross of a contract he signed with the Celtics.

Oh and in what world is Lee better than Dudley or Brown?
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#25 » by L3GEND4RY » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 am

lololololol. no way.

Signature by freshcontrast
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#26 » by Jammer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 am

How about Courtney Lee (4 years at $5 Million per year with 4.5% raises) + 2nd Round pick
for Ray Allen (3 years at $3 Million per year with 15% Trade Kicker) ???

:smile:
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#27 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am

Red2 wrote:Doc is a guard killer. guys come here as scorers and Doc kills their offense. I can't believe we traded etwaun moore and a bunch of other stuff to get Lee. Lee needs PT. I think his main problem is that he's not an effective offensive player without a lot of minutes. he certainly can't hit a 3 coming off the bench cold. we miss ray a lot

Yeah, Doc sure as hell ruined Avery Bradley and Rajon Rondo's careers..........
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#28 » by jfs1000d » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 pm

This guy is terrible. I drank kook aid last year about how he was a better fit than old ray allen.and his shooting was going to provide same for cheaper with better D. What a crock, Ray Allen is so much better it's not worth discussing. Guy cant hit a shot.

He isn't better than ray Allen. Not even close. We need a SG and a big immediately.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#29 » by Kobe System » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:52 pm

CelticTillDeath wrote:

Is this a joke? Bradley is SIGNIFICANTLY better then every player in that deal from either side. Bradley isnt going anywhere unless hes involved in a package with other players that would net us an all star caliber player (or a boarder line all star ala Josh Smith). Rondo, Doc, and Danny, LOVE them some Avery Bradley. Hes certainly not being traded for 3 bums.

Fair enough. :giveup:
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#30 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm

The knee jerk reactions on this board are at an all time high.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#31 » by Wes-J » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:The knee jerk reactions on this board are at an all time high.

+1

As long as Lee continues to work, he ain't going nowhere. It's just mid-december and we still have a lot of kinks to work out. I can't imagine tradin Lee will help the cause.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#32 » by celtxman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Red2 wrote:Doc is a guard killer. guys come here as scorers and Doc kills their offense. I can't believe we traded etwaun moore and a bunch of other stuff to get Lee. Lee needs PT. I think his main problem is that he's not an effective offensive player without a lot of minutes. he certainly can't hit a 3 coming off the bench cold. we miss ray a lot

You know sometimes we really forget the facts in favor of a good storyline. Last year we were 10-10 through January, and 15-17 shortly thereafter with Ray fully engaged in a role he had here for years. We went 27-27 after Christmas in 09/10 with Ray. We have evidence that Ray was a non-factor in ever pulling us out of any funk. Where is there evidence that Ray ever carried us? You want me to concede we could be 13-9 because Ray hits a game-winner in one of these games? You got it. But even with all the years that Ray had to know the Celtics system there is no evidence we ever rode on his ability to deeply impact our record.
Like other posters, I liked what I saw from E'Tawn Moore in the summer league and when he was allowed to play last season. I thought we made a big mistake not letting him play in last year's playoffs. Like many - I wasn't sure about Courtney Lee, not having seen him play much in Houston, but I was willing to trust the Celtics braintrust. Of course we would all swap Lee for Allen now for the shear fact that Jet's ego would allow Allen to start. Lee has not fit in after 22 games and so far the trade has been bad. But had the arrogant Allen signed with the Celtics we'd have other problems right now. The team would still be say 13-9 with all of the rebounding and defensive struggles you now see that had lead us to a mediocre record. Now you'd be looking to get Bradley back only you have to go back to Ray's ego. So despite playing better with Bradley as a starter, Ray would once again cause friction due to his selfishness. So all things considered what would be the best thing to do had we kept him? Trade him.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#33 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Guys, Bradley hasn't proven anything. What did he have a 20 game stretch at the end of the season? Seriously, he's coming off double shoulder surgery, broke out late year when no team had research on him, playing a completely different position.

There's no guarantee his shot will be back this season, and now that their is tape and more importantly time to do so, other teams may guard him properly (how about actually guarding him and not letting him just run off ball straight to the hoop?!?!).

I think we really need to calm down and realize Bradley has the potential to but is not a certainty to start on this team this year as currently constructed.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#34 » by ddb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Lee, sully melo and a pick. I've said this a hundred times. That's Danny's offer for a 6"11 big man. That's what he s working with. He doesn't want to.trade Bradley or bass and teams don't want greens contract. This is very straight forward. The fact they like lee and sully means nothing. They liked perk too. Danny will trade because all that matters is banner 18 with kg and pp. If they win a title a guarantee they won't have trouble signing guys lol. I laugh at the notion that players won't go there because lee was recruited and then dealt lol.
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#35 » by crosko42 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:32 pm

ddb wrote:Lee, sully melo and a pick. I've said this a hundred times. That's Danny's offer for a 6"11 big man. That's what he s working with. He doesn't want to.trade Bradley or bass and teams don't want greens contract. This is very straight forward. The fact they like lee and sully means nothing. They liked perk too. Danny will trade because all that matters is banner 18 with kg and pp. If they win a title a guarantee they won't have trouble signing guys lol. I laugh at the notion that players won't go there because lee was recruited and then dealt lol.

+1

I think bass gets moved though.

We need a high IQ big who can rebound and defend.

Sounds like Smith would be the perfect fit.

Too bad hes probably unattainable unless we move Bradley.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,983

Post#36 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:56 pm

ddb wrote:Lee, sully melo and a pick. I've said this a hundred times. That's Danny's offer for a 6"11 big man. That's what he s working with. He doesn't want to.trade Bradley or bass and teams don't want greens contract. This is very straight forward. The fact they like lee and sully means nothing. They liked perk too. Danny will trade because all that matters is banner 18 with kg and pp. If they win a title a guarantee they won't have trouble signing guys lol. I laugh at the notion that players won't go there because lee was recruited and then dealt lol.

Sounds pretty reasonable for Gortat.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#37 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:33 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:

Sounds pretty reasonable for Gortat.

I think Lee and Sully is reasonable for Gortat. Two decent young long termed signed 6th men/starters for one good starting center.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#38 » by Edug27 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Ok. Here's my take on the roster ....

Courtney is fine. And from what i've been reading, Avery is trying to develop into the backup PG role. We will slowly ease Avery back into game shape by having him take over Barbosa's role. This will also help decrease Rondo's minutes in games vs. teams like Detriot and Toronto. Our SF depth is great. Green is playing well. I really like him, and with more confidence and minutes, he will be a solid piece. I do think Doc needs to limit Pierce's minutes though. Have him at about 30-32, and Jeff as 24-26. Leaves our rotations at:

Rondo / Bradley
Lee / Terry
Pierce / Green

That seems fine. Lee will get better as the season goes on. Once playoffs come around, he will be hitting those open corner shots with no problem. Playing Terry alongside Avery will help mask his inability to play defense. Let Terry sit with the 3 pt shooters, and Avery will guard the playmakers.

The area of focus is the PF position, and backup center. Bass and Wilcox are not cutting it, and Sullinger keeps reminding us that he is a rookie. Wilcox cant be traded if I am correct, and that is fine because he has some chemistry with Rondo and works hard. His defense though does makes me uncomfortable, but we will need him to play the Bosh's and Amare's in the playoffs.

Danny needs to somehow package up Bass, Barbosa, Melo and a couple picks for a hardnosed rebounding PF who can catch lobs from Rondo. Who is this player?? Thats why Danny gets paid the big bucks. Milsap maybe??

Milsap is a free agent this summer, and lets say Utah is willing to part ways with him, and do a Bass, Melo, Barbosa and picks for Milsap.

Leaves us with a big man rotation of:

Milsap / Sully / (Jeff Green)
KG / Wilcox / (7 ft'er who gets cut during season)
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#39 » by celtxman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:02 pm

I think we understand this, but the hope is that this particular package gets it done for Gortat. I'm not sure who else would work, assuming Varejao is priced out of the market. This trade eliminates the logjam at SG, now that we can use Barbosa there in the short-term and there would be problems with minutes between Lee, Barbosa, Terry and Bradley in the long-term.
If this deal is really possible the Celtics can extricate themselves from some poor big man decisions from not playing Milicic, not showing even a little interest in Blatche and even not considering Sheed who while he is always a pain in the @## has been very productive and a God-send for the Knicks. Gortat can clean up a lot of that mess, albeit at a cost of more salary, and losing Sullinger and a draft pick - things that could have been avoided. But I do believe this would put the roster in the right balance and IMO a legitimate contendor no matter what their ranking come playoff time.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#40 » by ddb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Imo I think lee sully a filler and first is plenty for Gortat. Is it enough?? Time will tell. If not Danny will figure something out. Varejao priced himself out by his great start...the hawks have played themselves out of "seller" mode which makes it unlikely that josh smith is moved. Celtics don't have salaries to match for Gasol and Celts don't have the assets to.get Love. Gortat is the clear target..if not then Danny has his eyes on someone... There's no way he keeps his hitman rotation as is. Zero

Return to Boston Celtics