ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter interview

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,417

Re: Vince Carter interview 

Post#41 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 am

Phenomenologist wrote:I **** love Vince. Best raptor in history, easy. The guy actually loved Toronto. I've always thought it bizarre that he became hated for the very reason I think he deserved leniency: coming clean about his attitude towards the end.

Even more bizarre: he never came clean about his attitude towards the end. He came clean about realizing he had not worked hard enough when he was much younger, "before all the injuries." That he took the game for granted because it came so easily to him.

Look up the actual interview with John Thompson...you'll be amazed.

When you start delving into what he actually said/did vs. how it was played, you either get a new respect for Peddie, or something even less appealing.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#42 » by Phenomenologist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
Phenomenologist wrote:I **** love Vince. Best raptor in history, easy. The guy actually loved Toronto. I've always thought it bizarre that he became hated for the very reason I think he deserved leniency: coming clean about his attitude towards the end.

Even more bizarre: he never came clean about his attitude towards the end. He came clean about realizing he had not worked hard enough when he was much younger, "before all the injuries." That he took the game for granted because it came so easily to him.

Look up the actual interview with John Thompson...you'll be amazed.

When you start delving into what he actually said/did vs. how it was played, you either get a new respect for Peddie, or something even less appealing.

Lulz, just watched the video. There's really nothing else? I'm glad I've never held anything against him on that basis, then. Worked out nicely. Not so much for some others. Eesh.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,417

Post#43 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:21 am

Phenomenologist wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Lulz, just watched the video. There's really nothing else? I'm glad I've never held anything against him on that basis, then. Worked out nicely. Not so much for some others. Eesh.

I used to be considered a Carter critic. Always annoyed friends by saying T-Mac had more talent, back before he left. Carter blew me away at times, sure, but I was worried about his defence and erratic effort.

Then the trade request happened, and suddenly I found myself a Carter apologist, just by standing still while the stampede went in the other direction. Watching all kinds of crazy theories go from speculation to confirmed truth just by virtue of being repeated enough times. Flare play, tanking, Rafer, etc.

So if it gets crazy enough around here, I'd almost be unsurprised if I become a Bargs apologist, just by saying that, no, he did not threaten to bomb the ACC with pasta, or w/e.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#44 » by Phenomenologist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

^^LOL, I'm trying to picture what a pasta bombing would look like. Saucy I imagine. And, yah, I feel as if I've already become something of a Bargs apologist ... not a scrub, just not a star ... not the cause of global warming, just an indifferent coddled sac who's been treated like a king by our lunatic GM.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#45 » by J-Roc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
Guy Smiley wrote:Please. VC wanted Dr. J and wasn't happy ownership didn't abide. Is that what defines going in a different direction?? Not hiring a GM requested by a player? Nah, VC destroyed his legacy here. Hope he got to experience the greener grass on the other side.

Jack the Ripper did terrible things to women's clothing.

IOW, way to avoid the essence of why that was an issue.

He was frustrated with the organization, and tried to take an active hand. Not just in terms of ideas, but recruiting, building up the idea of playing in Toronto, etc.

When GG was fired, Vince raised his concerns with the direction, and pushed for Dr. J to take over, in large part because of the profile issue he saw as central to the organization's struggles with top name talent.

And Peddie promised Carter they would interview him for the job.

Let me repeat that: he was promised. Peddie has never even denied it.

Forget whether you, yourself, as a fan then or now think Carter should have been given that promise...I would argue yes, it wasn't abnormal for stars and he was doing more for his organization than most, but w/e, side issue...the fact is, he was promised.

And then, not only was Erving never interviewed, but Carter found out that and the fact that Babcock was hired by reading about it in a newspaper. In any walk of life, that's Peddie giving Carter a big **** you.

So forget all the Spin he put on it afterward, that's what happened, that's what Peddie did to our franchise player, and yet people still want to spin it as spoiled VC didn't get what he wanted. He never demanded Erving be hired, at all. He asked that he be considered, and was promised he would, and then was told to go screw himself through the press.

That's the real history.

Even if that story you spelled out is true, it doesn't make much difference to me. I can't stand a player wanting off his team, especially when he's under contract. And I'm pretty sure I heard VC enough times explain that he just needed a change of scenery.

And oh, btw, if he stayed, he could have played with one of the best up and coming power forwards in the game, in Bosh. So it goes to show what a player knows about building a team. Even if Peddie promised him stuff, Vince was wrong for getting his panties in a knot when it didn't work out that way. Vince was wrong when he wanted to trade the Bosh pick. He should have stuck around to see it through, because he was under contract.

In any case, the discussion people are having these days is whether to retire his jersey. wtf He wanted out and now we're going to celebrate him. Forget that. People like to use the ex-gf analogy. Well, I can't dump a girl because I want to try out something new, but then come running back when I'm old and over the hill and expect the ex to take me back and smile doing so. That would be no less ridiculous than VC getting upset because Peddie didn't plan the team with him.
Blazer_2458
Bench Warmer
And1: 45

Post#46 » by Blazer_2458 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 pm

I really don't care what anyone says, I hope he rots in obscurity.

3 words: dunking.is.overrated.

Nuff said
scirocco53
Senior
And1: 164

Post#47 » by scirocco53 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 pm

I've been a Raptors fan from day 1, and by far the best player this team had was Vince Carter. Bosh is not even a close second. Say what you will about dunking, Vince was not just a dunker, he could dominate a game. I never thought that he ever played to his potential. In my mind, and many "haters" will argue, he could have been as close to Michael Jordan, if not better... I know, history played itself out differently. We did not have the team to win here, and Vince was simply not interested in playing the tough defence it takes to win championships. There was no real second "star" caliber player in Toronto, and we overspent on AD, JYD, and Alvin Williams.

I was really dissapointed when he was traded. It was clear that he no longer wanted to be here, and his last months in Toronto, ensured that we got the package of players we got in trade. Yes, Rob Babcock, is as much, if not more to blame, but Vince screwed the franchise over by quitting on the team.

While, I fully appreciate the VC "golden" years in Toronto, I simply don't support his hersey being retired. Call it bitter, but getting to a 7th game of the second round and all those awesome dunks are really not enough for me. He flat out does not deserve it.

Booing him now is pointless.

I think that Jeff Vangundy shares his dissapointment of Vince more than anyone else. It simply floors me when during an ESPN telecast where he does Dallas games, how he can't contain himself talking poorly about Vince's career.

Simply put, the biggest waste of talent, who never played to his potential.
"Release the hounds"
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#48 » by MrBojangelz71 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:33 pm

J-Roc wrote:Meh, a bunch of garbage. He demanded a trade. No one boos him because we think he hated Toronto. We boo him because he wanted to go help the fans in the swamp of Jersey win, rather than his fans here. gtfo with this jersey retiring crap. Go let Jersey do that for you. Oh right, no more team in NJ. Oh right, you were only ever considered a Richard Jefferson caliber player to the real star J KIdd. g t f o

For once I can say "I agree, and endorse this JRoc statement."
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Post#49 » by Scase » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Blazer_2458 wrote:I really don't care what anyone says, I hope he rots in obscurity.

3 words: dunking.is.overrated.

Nuff said

I can't believe idiots are still quoting this.
HE DUNKED THE NEXT GAME. IT WAS A JOKE.
Props TZ!
speedythief
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#50 » by speedythief » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:00 pm

MEDIC wrote:PS: I love VC threads.

You have all these guys popping out of the woodwork. Been on RealGM for 8+ years, but have < 100 posts.

Would you wake me up when we're in the playoffs again?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#51 » by LLJ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 pm

speedythief wrote:

You have all these guys popping out of the woodwork. Been on RealGM for 8+ years, but have < 100 posts.

Well, we did make the playoffs in 07 and 08. You must have missed it.
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,275

Post#52 » by orbesnet » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:29 pm

I could care less... vc was the best raptor ever, but that's not saying much.

I don't want to see his jersey retired in t.o. for many reasons, graduation ceremony over playoff practice, rolling on the ground, blah, blah, blah.

The best part is, if they ever try and retire his jersey he'll just be booed, which would be hilarious to witness!
Pascal to the future.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#53 » by lucky777s » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:42 pm

OMG this insane re-writing of history never ends. Babs and Sam tried to get VC on board that summer but he wanted out.

VC had 3 good years in TOR. That's it. He never lived up to his contract extension. And demanded a trade just when we drafted a stud PF to compliment his game.

He won the dunk contest, got hypnotized by the fame that brought, and stopped working on his game altogether. Never added anything new. And he always fell back on the 'team' excuse during bad times but accepted all the attention during the good times. Once Oak was gone nobody called him out on that any more.

And if his trade was sooooo bad how did we win the Atlantic division just 2 years after. We could not have brought in the key players to make that happen with his salary still on the books. That is a fact. And he was coming up for an extension that would have crippled us for good.

The picks we got could have landed us Granger and Rondo/Lowry. They were quality picks. The cap space it helped create was enough to go after a max FA. The trade was good, the decisions made after were not.

VC went to a team that was in the Finals just 2 years prior. Then went to ORL the year after they were in the Finals. Both teams got worse with him there.
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Post#54 » by Scase » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 pm

lucky777s wrote:OMG this insane re-writing of history never ends. Babs and Sam tried to get VC on board that summer but he wanted out.

VC had 3 good years in TOR. That's it. He never lived up to his contract extension. And demanded a trade just when we drafted a stud PF to compliment his game.

He won the dunk contest, got hypnotized by the fame that brought, and stopped working on his game altogether. Never added anything new. And he always fell back on the 'team' excuse during bad times but accepted all the attention during the good times. Once Oak was gone nobody called him out on that any more.

And if his trade was sooooo bad how did we win the Atlantic division just 2 years after. We could not have brought in the key players to make that happen with his salary still on the books. That is a fact. And he was coming up for an extension that would have crippled us for good.

The picks we got could have landed us Granger and Rondo/Lowry. They were quality picks. The cap space it helped create was enough to go after a max FA. The trade was good, the decisions made after were not.

VC went to a team that was in the Finals just 2 years prior. Then went to ORL the year after they were in the Finals. Both teams got worse with him there.

We won the TITANIC division, that alone should answer it. Every team in our division was tanking.
Props TZ!
speedythief
Sophomore

Post#55 » by speedythief » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:11 pm

LLJ wrote:
speedythief wrote:

Well, we did make the playoffs in 07 and 08. You must have missed it.

I think I actually went to see them play one of those seasons. Can't remember which. They beat the Bulls? Big snowstorm? All kind of foggy.
speedythief
Sophomore

Post#56 » by speedythief » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:11 pm

lucky777s wrote:OMG this insane re-writing of history never ends. Babs and Sam tried to get VC on board that summer but he wanted out.
Sup dude?
Guy Smiley
RealGM
And1: 491

Post#57 » by Guy Smiley » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 am

J-Roc wrote:Even if that story you spelled out is true, it doesn't make much difference to me. I can't stand a player wanting off his team, especially when he's under contract. And I'm pretty sure I heard VC enough times explain that he just needed a change

What are your thoughts about Kobe, the Dream, Shaq or pretty much any player in the NBA who has either played for a) a losing team and/or b) a poorly managed franchise?
ShermsTerms
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#58 » by ShermsTerms » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm

The problem with your arguments lucky is that you're lying. Vince never once blamed only the rest of the team and refused to accept any responsibility himself. You're a liar.

If you're telling the truth, share us a link to this interview(s) where he blamed only his teammates and not himself.
ShermsTerms
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#59 » by ShermsTerms » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 pm

lucky777s wrote:VC went to a team that was in the Finals just 2 years prior. Then went to ORL the year after they were in the Finals. Both teams got worse with him there.

You know who got worse? Every team he ever played for after he left. The Raptors, Nets, Magic, and Suns have won 0 combined playoff series in 14 combined years since he left, yet won 5 combined playoff series in 13 years with him with him. Even the Olympic team didn't win gold in 2004.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Go back into your cave.

Return to Toronto Raptors