ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Sign Garrett Temple.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Re: Wizards Sign Garrett Temple. 

Post#21 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 am

Didn't see tonight's game, but nothing beats a hungry D-League player, there are guys like Temple playing overseas also.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#22 » by Upper Decker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:25 am

Serious question, is he better than Beal? Honestly it seems like he is...
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#23 » by AFM » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:41 am

As of right now? Yes. In 3 years? I certainly hope not.
Most SGs as of right now are better than Beal.
Down To Buck
Senior
And1: 306

Post#24 » by Down To Buck » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8rTqnZ5MW8[/youtube]
Check out my NBA Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/user/DownToBuck
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#25 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 pm

I have a really good feeling about this kid. I think we may have hit pay dirt. And for dirt cheap.

Really like his game. Like his confident. Great length. Good looking kid. Mature enough to play his game and realize his opportunity. He isn't phased. This kid has been around some good organizations. I think he stays and that is going to help a lot once Wall returns.

Better then Beal. Hell yeah he is right now.

And while I am very frustrated with Beals outside shooting, here is what he has that is impressive.

- He is much better at driving on the break then we thought he would be. He is actually good at it.
- That alley op last night showed some serious athleticism.
- He is great at defensive help and good at man on man. He has a nice block last night. Kid will hustle.

If he could find his shoot, he would be really good. But his shoot looks totally broken right now so there may be a ways to go. If it is just confidence, then he can turn it on at any time. If it is more then that, its going to take lots of work.

Kid just looks immature which he is. He is only 19. He keeps talking about how they need to have fun out there. Yeah. Ok. Go win. Winning in fun. What you need to do is perform out there. You need to execute. You need to win. Then it will be fun after the game. But he is young. He shouldn't be starting. He isn't ready.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#26 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:42 pm

Garrett Temple is as important a player as anybody in the current rotation. He's beginning to look like a real find with his ability to make life miserable for the other team's top player. One of the better perimeter defenders the Wizards have had in a very long time. I'm hoping he's signed for the remainder of the season. One of the best D-league signings by the Wizards ever.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#27 » by dandrews » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:16 pm

His defense on Deron Williams last night left me more impressed than I've been from any Wizard this season
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#28 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:23 am

Over his last 4 games he is 4-29 from the field. His overall game looks decent but....
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#29 » by closg00 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:31 am

tontoz wrote:Over his last 4 games he is 4-29 from the field. His overall game looks decent but....

Time to see what Chris Wraight can do
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#30 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:43 am

closg00 wrote:
tontoz wrote:Over his last 4 games he is 4-29 from the field. His overall game looks decent but....

Time to see what Chris Wraight can do

If you mean the Chris Wright from G'Town, I'm down with that...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#31 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:33 pm

Congrats to Temple.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#32 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Bump for his recent stretch of good games with Beal out.

I'd like to see him retained next year as a 5th guard. He's probably not good enough to earn regular minutes, but he's nice to have around as a guy who can fill a hole at PG, SG or SF if there are injuries. You gotta love his attitude. He plays tough D when he is on the court, he executes the system well, and he doesn't complain if he doesn't get minutes.

If only he was a reliable shooter... he shoots just 16% from 3-point range.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,602

Post#33 » by pancakes3 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:38 pm

I think he wouldn't even be relegated to 5th guard. He would be able to fill in 15-20 mpg at backup guard easily. What's the difference between someone like Dahntay Jones and Garrett Temple other than collegiate pedigree? Furthermore, if Temple is offered a 1 year deal with provisions for hitting 3p% goals, he would be highly incentivized to use the Verizon Center facilities in the off-season to improve his shooting.
Bullets -> Wizards
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#34 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Really hope they keep him. I just don't see why they wouldn't. Great fit.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#35 » by Nivek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I think he wouldn't even be relegated to 5th guard. He would be able to fill in 15-20 mpg at backup guard easily. What's the difference between someone like Dahntay Jones and Garrett Temple other than collegiate pedigree? Furthermore, if Temple is offered a 1 year deal with provisions for hitting 3p% goals, he would be highly incentivized to use the Verizon Center facilities in the off-season to improve his shooting.

Temple is better than Jones.

I guess it would be okay to bring him back as a 5th guard. Even after his recent spate of good games, he's still just a shade over replacement level.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 pm

He might have the worst college stats of any player that made it to the NBA. Gotta give him credit for improving to the point that he made it as a respectable 5th guard.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#37 » by Nivek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:He might have the worst college stats of any player that made it to the NBA. Gotta give him credit for improving to the point that he made it as a respectable 5th guard.

Depends on what you mean by "stats." :D

In YODA, his score senior was "don't draft," but just barely. In YODA, he was a marginal prospect, and while I like him, I think "marginal" is a fair description of his NBA performance.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#38 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:00 pm

I like Temple's size/length, smarts, and, especially, his D -- attributes and strengths that are often hard to measure. Garrett has been a pleasant surprise, particularly these last few games where he's shot the ball extremely well.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#39 » by tontoz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 pm

DCZards wrote:I like Temple's size/length, smarts, and, especially, his D -- attributes and strengths that are often hard to measure. Garrett has been a pleasant surprise, particularly these last few games where he's shot the ball extremely well.

Strange how Temple and Wall were both shooting blanks from 3 and then started hitting recently out of the blue.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#40 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm

tontoz wrote:
DCZards wrote:I like Temple's size/length, smarts, and, especially, his D -- attributes and strengths that are often hard to measure. Garrett has been a pleasant surprise, particularly these last few games where he's shot the ball extremely well.

Strange how Temple and Wall were both shooting blanks from 3 and then started hitting recently out of the blue.

That coupled with the ridiculously insane shooting by Beal and Webster (and career high shooting by Ariza) makes me believe that somebody is doing something right in practice. We either have a good shooting coach, good work ethic by the players, or a good strategy for practicing the right kinds of shots; or a combination of the 3.

This the first time since the Doug Collins era where I felt that there was something being done systematically to help the team's shooting.

Return to Washington Wizards