ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#281 » by leswizards » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:51 pm

montestewart wrote:EG put an option in Deshawn Stevenson's contract, then found himself morbidly compelled to resign DS to a four year, $15 million dollar deal, when there were no other apparent bidders for DS's services. EG learned from this real life gothic horror. No more option years or milkshakes right before bedtime.

I am pretty certain that there were no options involved in Deshawn's contract. EG just wanted Deshawn and was willing to bid against himself to get him. To make matters worse, that was the off season that Juan Carlos Navarro finally said he wanted to play in the NBA. EG could have had Juan Carlos Navarro for less, and on a shorter contract. But, EG had his heart set on Deshawn and he got him. However, since he put a priority on signing Deshawn Stevenson, the trade market dried up on Juan Carlos Navarro, and the trade offers went from a guarnteed first from a contender like Miami to a highly protected first round pick from Memphis (the pick was so protected that at the time it looked like Washington would never get anything but cash).
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#282 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:26 pm

mmm, I want a milkshake now.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#283 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Dec 7, 2012 7:38 pm

Ariza - all nba perimeter defender. We have searched for him for a decade. Livingston the highest BBIQ backup point guard we have ever had. Okafor is way better than Haywood.
My problem with EG his inability to sign these outstanding free fits for the washington with a 2nd year team option.

All Stevenson can't sniff Ariza's jock strap. Ariza was critical piece of a championship team and is probably the best perimeter defender we have ever had. He also has league wide Respect for guarding elite perimeter players like Kobe well. Ariza is a serious piece to our puzzle going forward as well livingston. Okafor is decent just paid to much. Price is nice but no where near Livingston as far as wizard future goes. If EG figures out how to get livingston, webster, and ariza to commit beyond this season before the end of December, i believe that is grounds for giving EG a contract extension. Just let Newman changed the culture.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#284 » by nuposse04 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:06 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Ariza - all nba perimeter defender. We have searched for him for a decade. Livingston the highest BBIQ backup point guard we have ever had. Okafor is way better than Haywood.
My problem with EG his inability to sign these outstanding free fits for the washington with a 2nd year team option.

All Stevenson can't sniff Ariza's jock strap. Ariza was critical piece of a championship team and is probably the best perimeter defender we have ever had. He also has league wide Respect for guarding elite perimeter players like Kobe well. Ariza is a serious piece to our puzzle going forward as well livingston. Okafor is decent just paid to much. Price is nice but no where near Livingston as far as wizard future goes. If EG figures out how to get livingston, webster, and ariza to commit beyond this season before the end of December, i believe that is grounds for giving EG a contract extension. Just let Newman changed the culture.

Not to be terse...but I'm gonna go with no.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#285 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:24 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Ariza - all nba perimeter defender. We have searched for him for a decade. Livingston the highest BBIQ backup point guard we have ever had. Okafor is way better than Haywood.

... If EG figures out how to get livingston, webster, and ariza to commit beyond this season before the end of December, i believe that is grounds for giving EG a contract extension.

Oh absolutely... give him the Nobel Prize if he can get Ariza and Okafor extended beyond this year. A contract extension isn't enough.

Here's a question for you: what would it be like if you spoke about this subject after first learning something about it?

Okafor and Ariza are *both* under contract next year (in Ariza's case, he has a player-option at North of $7m, which you can be sure he'll take. He ain't making that kind of $$ anywhere else!).

So... now that we can't *extend* Ernie, can we fire him instead?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Mickstix
Junior
And1: 27

Post#286 » by Mickstix » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:46 am

WizarDynasty wrote: If EG figures out how to get livingston, webster, and ariza to commit beyond this season before the end of December, i believe that is grounds for giving EG a contract extension.

Ernie, you sly dog you! Wazup bro? :lol:
Mick
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#287 » by noworriesinmd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Ravens fire Cameron!

I was listening to ESPN last night. They were ranking franchises that just want to win a Super Bowl.
The Ravens were in the First Tier.

Difference between a mediocre and great franchise is that a great franchise will NEVER embrace mediocrity, while a mediocre franchise makes excuses.

When LA thought they were going in the wrong direction, they quickly fired the coach and replaced with a "better" one.

When Baltimore broke their home winning streak AND lost twice in a row for the first time in YEARS, they made an organizational change.

In Washington, we talk about how we are not a destination. How we need continuity.

EG, not the coach, should have been gone years ago. We are a destination. Players want to win championships and get paid.

I was listening to the Junkies interview an ex Raven...forgot his name. He had played with other teams before coming to Baltimore...but he said..."once a Raven, always a Raven." They have an identity, a system. Even if they didn't have Ray Lewis, they'd still be good.

Washington should have a system a program...but we don't. The Raven's move took me by surprise, but they sent a clear message. The Wizards send a messages to the league, players, and fans that they are not truly serious. I really hope Ted figures it out soon.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#288 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I agree but also think that
a) It's really hard to get grown men, especially athletes to buy into a system
b) It's really hard to build that system without a leader or established cred
c) Randy Whitman looks to have some cache but EG HAS to go. Players aren't dummies. Booker is mad that Ves and Singleton are drafted who are in turn mad that Ariza was signed who in turn is pissed that Webster was signed. If we can see it, they can definitely see it too. And you think we're mad that crawford is a ballhogging gunner? Try playing on the court and losing with that guy. Despite all of this, they like Whit. So... who do they resent? Management. Easy peasy.
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#289 » by closg00 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:23 pm

+2 to Pancakes and noworriesinmd, unfortunately Ted is under Ernie's spell. Ted does not have the golatas to really shake things-up properly.
Mickstix
Junior
And1: 27

Post#290 » by Mickstix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:39 am

Yea, Ted's happy just selling tickets.. Which is a little odd, after seeing how empty the arena looked during one of the games I saw on NBANet.. But, like with the Caps he's afraid to take any real chances, in fear of.. Hell, Im not even buying that anymore.. What the hell is he waiting for?? The Bullets **** suck for cripes sake?? At least the Caps are relavant.. Im beginning to think Ted just doesnt have the nads to fire ANYONE!! He's not fired a single person since he bought the teams.. Always lets his GM's do the dirty work.. Dude is just a piss poor owner..
Mick
closg00
RealGM

Post#291 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:54 pm

sashae wrote:WHAT ME WORRY

The more injuries the-better for Ernie. I think the chances of him getting fired are pretty close to zero now that he has the injury excuse to sell......again.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#292 » by leswizards » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 pm

closg00 wrote:
sashae wrote:WHAT ME WORRY

The more injuries the-better for Ernie. I think the chances of him getting fired are pretty close to zero now that he has the injury excuse to sell......again.

The injury excuse is BS. Going into this season, the complaint was the Wizards were way too loaded in the front court. Hence, Nene's injury should have caused the Wizards very little concern. Yet, it has because Seraphin, Jan, and Booker have all regressed to a certain degree, while Okafor has not returned to his career form after a bad last season. Furthermore, Wall's injury was known about for some time, yet EG decided to do nothing to get a PG who would actually be capable of starting in Wall's absence.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#293 » by Higga » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:49 pm

David Aldridge just said it best:

"It's okay to build thru the draft...if you draft guys who can actually play."

Yep, it's that simple.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#294 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:45 pm

It would help if they kept draft picks. Steph Curry is tearing it up right now. The Wizards gave away that #5 pick that could have been Curry. In that same draft they sold the #32 pick that could have been DeJuan Blair.

I was not pleased with Ernie on draft night in 2009. :evil:

The Timberwolves drafted Ricky Rubio #5. The Wizards did not even press the Wolves to include the #18 pick they had that season. That pick turned out to be Ty Lawson.

While the Wizards frittered away picks, other better teams built nicely through the draft as the Wizards might have if they had a better GM than EFG.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#295 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Reading the box scores is soooo depressing. The list of names to choose the biggest missed- opportunity is long, but the most painful "one that got away" (and there are many), might be a toss-up between Rubio and Curry. After them is the blown 6th pick. Biyombo got a double-double last night. the list of guys who could have made this team better from that draft is very long.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#296 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:21 am

Illuminaire wrote:Just for fun, I went through the first 25 pages of the OkaRiza trade thread and noted down the first impressions of everyone who posted (Unless I knew they were from another board, or had less than 100 posts). Here is where we all stood on that fateful day...

Sadly, I didn't get in my post until page 66.

Tell me, what makes this trade so good? Because you've heard of Emeka Okafor? Because he was a good player 3 or 4 years ago? That is Vinny Ceratto-tier thinking, just bring in random "names" that don't fit the team, and then sell "hope". It is the EXACT same logic as the Miller and Foye deal, where getting overpaid veteran backups was supposed to have much more impact than it actually did.

EG is worse than Vinny ever was though. Vinny on his worst day > EG on his best day. Vinny drafted Sean Taylor over Winslow, and drafted Chris Cooley in the 3rd round. He's actually drafted star-level players like Rak and Fred Davis. Grunfeld has drafted exactly ONE All-Star since 1999. He's traded for All-Stars, but drafted them? Nope. What a joke.

Danny, please buy the Wizards.
closg00
RealGM

Post#297 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Did anyone just hear SVG on AM 980? SVG said:

*John Wall is not a player to build a team around, he is very fast, but has not demonstrated good decision-making
*Our roster does not make any sense

SVG danced around the edges, but you can read between the lines.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#298 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Just for fun, I went through the first 25 pages of the OkaRiza trade thread and noted down the first impressions of everyone who posted (Unless I knew they were from another board, or had less than 100 posts). Here is where we all stood on that fateful day...

FOR OkaRiza
  • LyricalRico
  • Rafael122
  • dandrews
  • Halcyon
  • GUYANNAGRIZZLI
  • Ironpanthr
  • AWIZZINGBULLET
  • DCZards
  • Floater
  • SUPERBALLMAN
  • VictorPage44
  • BruceO
  • queridiculo**
  • dlts20
  • zardsfan

AGAINST OkaRiza
    Montestewart
    KevinFCheng
    nate33
    WallTown02
    TGW
    Severn Hoos
    Ruzious
    colts18
    sashae
    Jay81
    keynote
    nuposse04
    miller31time
    closg00
    TheKingOfVa360
    Dat2U
    Captain_Obvious
    Nivek
    mohammed10
    JonathanJoseph
    barelyawake
    Wizards2Lottery
    Benjammin
    MJG
    dobrojim
    tontoz
    WizarDynasty
    truwizfan4evr
    fishercob
    Upper Decker
    jimij
    MikeTheKid
    Wizardspride
    Illuminaire
    FAH1223
    MF23
    Chocolate City Jordanaire
    7-Day Dray
    Benjammin
    hands11***
    The Consiglieri
    willbcocks
    go'stags

ON THE FENCE
    Higga
    Wizstorm
    W. Unseld
    MDStar
    dandridge 10
    kirubel94
    penbeast0
    Jimmy Recard
    WashWiz54

Who The Heck Knows???
    80sballboy
    Saqs
    jivelikenice
    GhostsOfGil
    McGully Culkin
    AFM
    verbal8

**Flipped back and forth a few times, but argued for the trade more often than against.
***Hands was actually against the trade as of page24. Not sure when he started in on the Koolaid flavored jello-shots.

In summary, 58.66% of posters were clearly against the trade, 20.00% were [s]bat-crazy[/s] for the trade, and 21.33% were in denial. :wink:

***Hands was actually against the trade as of page24. Not sure when he started in on the Koolaid flavored jello-shots.

I love me some Koolaid flavored jello-shots. :party: leads to :rocking: then some :eyebrows: and some :kiss then more :party: then some late night :burger: followed by :sleep: and the inevitable :eek1: :droop: :sour:
closg00
RealGM

Post#299 » by closg00 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 10:26 pm

closg00 wrote:Did anyone just hear SVG on AM 980? SVG said:

*John Wall is not a player to build a team around, he is very fast, but has not demonstrated good decision-making

Perhaps I should have started a thread :)
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#300 » by montestewart » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:32 am

closg00 wrote:
closg00 wrote:Did anyone just hear SVG on AM 980? SVG said:

Perhaps I should have started a thread :)

When I saw that thread, I knew it had a really familiar ring.

Return to Washington Wizards