ImageImageImageImage

7th Worst Record, 3rd Highest Payroll

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Re: 7th Worst Record, 3rd Highest Payroll 

Post#21 » by drsd » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:43 am

SnuggLes__ wrote:Owner's should be able to ... give severance packages.

This does happen in the NBA. When players retire or if a player wants to move to another team as a free-agent, sometimes they are "Bought Out." That is a severance package. The point is that this power is on the player's side and not so much on the owners.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#22 » by MagicMadness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:06 am

At least Arenas' contract doesn't count against the cap, and he will come off the books at the end of next year. Now it's all about seeing if our new GM and the FO can refrain from screwing up the cap yet again...

That desperation Hedo/Lewis/J-Rich trade really sent us backwards, but luckily we're close to getting out of this mess. I mean, it was an interesting idea at the time, but substituting Lewis' bad contract for an even worse one was very likely to come back to bite us, and it certainly did.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#23 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:25 pm

drsd wrote:
SnuggLes__ wrote:Owner's should be able to ... give severance packages.

This does happen in the NBA. When players retire or if a player wants to move to another team as a free-agent, sometimes they are "Bought Out." That is a severance package. The point is that this power is on the player's side and not so much on the owners.

And this is the problem with the system. Players can demand trades, issue ultimatums, and force buyouts. Owners can basically only accede to their demands. It's a players league. The players do whatever they want, the owners generally make big money, the only ones that really lose are the fans. I for one wish the owners had just held out for a franchise tag similar to the nfl to help the situation.

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to devolve not another big market vs small market diatribe, so sorry about that.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#24 » by drsd » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:24 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:And this is the problem with the system. Players can demand trades, issue ultimatums, and force buyouts. Owners can basically only accede to their demands. It's a players league. The players do whatever they want, the owners generally make big money, the only ones that really lose are the fans. I for one wish the owners had just held out for a franchise tag similar to the nfl to help the situation.

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to devolve not another big market vs small market diatribe, so sorry about that.

An excellent, articulate point. And ONE!

(for fudge-sake, the vet min for a vet. NBA player is over a mill a season: to play a friggen game!!!!!)

The franchise tag might not translate to the NBA. But Joe Johnson/ Chris Bosh type players should NEVER get a max deal. That must be fixed (IMsO).

/.
sublime12089
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#25 » by sublime12089 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:33 pm

drsd wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:And this is the problem with the system. Players can demand trades, issue ultimatums, and force buyouts. Owners can basically only accede to their demands. It's a players league. The players do whatever they want, the owners generally make big money, the only ones that really lose are the fans. I for one wish the owners had just held out for a franchise tag similar to the nfl to help the situation.

An excellent, articulate point. And ONE!

(for fudge-sake, the vet min for a vet. NBA player is over a mill a season: to play a friggen game!!!!!)

The franchise tag might not translate to the NBA. But Joe Johnson/ Chris Bosh type players should NEVER get a max deal. That must be fixed (IMsO).

/.

Simple, the teams shouldn't offer that. What is the player/agent going to say? "No, it is too much money." The stiff tax penalties should deflate contracts. And Chris Bosh at about 14-15 mil (IIRC) is not that overpaid. He doesn't make that much less than Hedo.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#26 » by arsenal6106 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:06 pm

Slightly OT:
Who would like a rule where a player you draft, his salary, only counts for a certain % of the cap space?

So a team like OKC could've possibly retained Harden and not have had to worry about a max contract messing up their cap space. It essentially rewards the teams that draft well and try to build a team from within.

This would help the smaller markets compete with the larger markets that have the advantage of getting superstars from FA or Trade.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]

Return to Orlando Magic