Gay to Cleveland

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Gay to Cleveland 

Post#1 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:00 pm

Cavs Get: Rudy Gay

MEM Get: Walton (exp), Gibson (exp), Alonzo Gee , MIA 1st, LAL 1st

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aajjxst

Grizz get our of Gays deal and get 10mill coming off the books next year + Athletic SF for right now

Cavs get a a stud SF to pair with Kyrie and Waiters but also an overpaid one and eats up cap

JR : Next Gen
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Re: Gay to Cleveland 

Post#2 » by TruthTelling » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:07 pm

Cleveland can't trade Miami's and LAL 1st.

They only own one or the other.

Phoenix gets the Lakers pick if it is in the lottery and if the Lakers are not in the lottery the Suns get Miami's pick.

In any event Cleveland never has the Lakers and Heat pick.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#3 » by BossHoggin » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:04 pm

This is a horrible deal for Memphis
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#4 » by mg » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:30 pm

The Cavs front office and John Hollinger use the same advanced metrics to rate players.

If Hollinger believes Gay is overpaid for his production I'm going to bet the Cavs FO thinks the same thing.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,342

Post#5 » by jowglenn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:11 pm

As has been pointed out, you can't send both MIA/LAL picks - there's really only one, as it's a pick swap of some kind.

However, Cleveland does have other assets - SAC 1st, their own 1st, god-knows-what that they might fetch if they trade Varejao.

And I think the idea of Gay to Cleveland is a good one. Gay may be overpaid, but the Cavs are going to be like 18 million under the salary floor next season. Might as well spend it on someone like Gay. Who else they gonna spend it on?
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#6 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:21 pm

Clevelands needs a glue guy starting SF, not a maxed out second option.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#7 » by jowglenn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:49 pm

Look, please look up the NBA Salary Floor and understand what it means. Currently, the Cavs are looking at roughly 33ish million as their total salary for next year (if they get, and keep, all their 1st round picks).

What that means is, they have to take 46 million (the salary floor), subtract their current salary (33 million) and pay the entire difference among their players (13 million dollars).

They literally HAVE TO SPEND THAT MONEY. It can go towards grabbing another player and giving him a run to see if he can be a fit, or they can just spend it on literally nothing (just giving it to all their current players)

So regardless of what they "need" they absolutely should and will be willing to take on contracts of guys who are deemed "overpaid" because they're going to be paying that money already.
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#8 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:47 am

Wait, so you think it is difficult to acquire salary in the NBA? I think I would rather explore my options.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#9 » by BossHoggin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:49 am

jowglenn wrote:Look, please look up the NBA Salary Floor and understand what it means. Currently, the Cavs are looking at roughly 33ish million as their total salary for next year (if they get, and keep, all their 1st round picks).

What that means is, they have to take 46 million (the salary floor), subtract their current salary (33 million) and pay the entire difference among their players (13 million dollars).

They literally HAVE TO SPEND THAT MONEY. It can go towards grabbing another player and giving him a run to see if he can be a fit, or they can just spend it on literally nothing (just giving it to all their current players)

So regardless of what they "need" they absolutely should and will be willing to take on contracts of guys who are deemed "overpaid" because they're going to be paying that money already.

You going to post this in every Cavs thread? Hope you got it saved to a txt file. They will take on overpaid guys... if the incentive is right, not because you want them to do the trade.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:34 am

jowglenn wrote:Look, please look up the NBA Salary Floor and understand what it means. Currently, the Cavs are looking at roughly 33ish million as their total salary for next year (if they get, and keep, all their 1st round picks).

That also would only be like 9 players total.

OBVIOUSLY the Cavaliers are going to fill out their roster (they legally have to), and in doing so, I'm sure they'll add salary somehow. Just not sure that they want to add $37 million over the next 2 in order to do so. I would imagine they'd look at taking on an expiring from an over the tax team and get paid to do so. Or, just look to acquire a mid-priced FA acquisition that may look to be a long-term fit to the roster at a fair market value. Those are things that will obviously bring them up.

In the history of this salary floor, I believe that the Sacramento Kings had to pay it once, and that may be it. However, EVERY season there are 3-5 teams that look to go into the offseason massively under the salary floor and somehow they seem to never end the season under the salary floor. This just isn't a reasonable problem to feel like you have to correct it an ENTIRE YEAR OUT.
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#11 » by jowglenn » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:46 am

Sorry, I got so excited about the debt ceiling and the fiscal cliff that when I found out about the salary floor I just couldn't help myself.
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#12 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:24 pm

At least the salary floor is real.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#13 » by boogiesdad » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:29 pm

Perosnally, if the Grizz were going to do a salary dump with Gay, I would just suggest the following:

MEM TRADES:

Rudy Gay

CLE TRADES:

Daniel Gibson
Luke Walton
2 2013 #1's

MEM gets a full salary dump.

CLE fills out their lineup and gets a scorer to pair with Irving.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#14 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:23 pm

Gays contract expires at same time with Irvings rookie contract is up, Thompson contract and Varejaos contract so this doesn't jeopardize the Cavs long term plans.

Gee, Walton, 2013 Heat 1st round pick and 2014 Cleveland 1st round pick (top 7 protected)

Irving/Waiters/Gay/Thompson/Varejao is a solid starting 5 core to build on with
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#15 » by xpmar9x » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:15 pm

Well if Memphis is looking for pure cap relief, this would do it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:19 pm

boogiesdad wrote:Perosnally, if the Grizz were going to do a salary dump with Gay, I would just suggest the following:

MEM TRADES:

Rudy Gay

CLE TRADES:

Daniel Gibson
Luke Walton
2 2013 #1's

MEM gets a full salary dump.

CLE fills out their lineup and gets a scorer to pair with Irving.

That's certainly cheap enough for the Cavs that they may have to consider it. I would imagine they would prefer to include Casspi as well (as he's not going to magically get MORE minutes with Rudy Gay on the roster), and possibly net back Haddadi and Selby (or some other minor roster filler)?

Maybe something ultimately like:
Gay/Haddadi/Selby
for
Gibson/Walton/Casspi/2 2013 #1's

Ultimately, that would put Memphis around $800,000 under the luxury tax (enough to add a minimum salary player down the stretch if a need arises), balances out roster spots for each team, and also allows Cleveland some depth to compensate for Varejao's injury.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#17 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:39 pm

Seems like a promising fit.

My take:

Gibson
2 of Casspi/Miles/Gee
SAC #1
3 #2
$7-8m TPE

for

Gay
Selby
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.

Return to Trades and Transactions