Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Re: Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing 

Post#121 » by boogie-reke » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 am

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
DCsOwn wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

I've seen him play at Peach Jam. Kid is the best prospect I have seen since Lebron.

He's not anywhere near as skilled as Durant was in high school, and he's probably not as physically gifted. He's more explosive vertically and stronger, but Durant's height and length, and just as importantly his fluidity, quickness and coordination given his height and length was alien like, even at Montrose.

That's your opinion, scouts disagree. Durant wasn't even the number 1 pick and this kid would be the number one pick out of high school. You're having revisionist history, Durant wasn't seen as a can't miss prospect.

Wiggins wouldn't be the number 1 pick either if he had to compete with Greg Oden, rest assured about that.

And when compared and competing with Oden for that number 1 pick(which I'd bet my house he'd lose quite easily if not unanimously) people would come with knocks on Wiggins aswell as they did on Durant, simply to justify picking the better prospect in Oden(who was the 2nd best prospect since Lebron as far as I'm concerned)

Alot depends on situation and who you're up against, in terms of how you're perceived as a prospect coming into the draft.

If Durant was put in Wiggins's situation and vice verse, things wouldn't be the same in terms of the perception people had for them as prospects coming into the draft.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#122 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 am

Shot 50 percent from the line today I believe, I was flipping back and forth but pretty sure he had 16 points, 8-16 from the line. While I was watching he was 1/3 from three. Obviously not a comfortable shooter and it was tough to judge his game as the other team played zone all game and fouled every time he drove. He made a couple of nice swing passes from the high post but didnt create anything while I was watching. Overall not impressed for the 'best prospect since Lebron'. Lebron didn't look dominant in all his nationally televised high school games either though, so might not mean much.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#123 » by ManualRam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am

supaSPED wrote:he's playing on ESPN at 5pm today against Noah Vonleh, ranked top 10 in the same high school graduating class.

i was honestly more impressed by noah vonleh's skill set in his limited time on the floor. i think if he wasn't in foul trouble, vonleh would've outplayed wiggins.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#124 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 am

ManualRam wrote:
supaSPED wrote:he's playing on ESPN at 5pm today against Noah Vonleh, ranked top 10 in the same high school graduating class.

i was honestly more impressed by noah vonleh's skill set in his limited time on the floor. i think if he wasn't in foul trouble, vonleh would've outplayed wiggins.

But, he was in foul trouble in large part because of Wiggins.

Neither Wiggins or Vonleh looked very good today, but both are excellent prospects.
ahunterknight
Junior
And1: 4

Post#125 » by ahunterknight » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am

Sorry but what separates wiggins from players like derozan cause I can see that type of career for him. His ball handling needs work his jumpshot needs work right now he is dominating because he is by far the most athletic on the court.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Post#126 » by Hero » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 am

ahunterknight wrote:Sorry but what separates wiggins from players like derozan cause I can see that type of career for him. His ball handling needs work his jumpshot needs work right now he is dominating because he is by far the most athletic on the court.

His Motor, defense and athleticism. Isn't he fairly comparable to MJ/LeBron in his vertical? obv not built like LeBron but he is very quick.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#127 » by ManualRam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 am

Cammo101 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

But, he was in foul trouble in large part because of Wiggins.

Neither Wiggins or Vonleh looked very good today, but both are excellent prospects.

that's true. vonleh didn't play smart defensively. he should've dialed back once he got his 2nd.
i liked the skills that vonleh showed though. he looks more comfortable shooting the deep ball. shows better moves on the interior (nice wheel into the lane with an upfake for an and 1). he even showed better moves handling the ball (really long, deceptive right to left cross).
vonleh looks taller too. i wonder what position he'll settle on in the future.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#128 » by NG15 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:33 am

The bleachers of Blake Arena were filled in anticipation for his showdown with fellow top-10 prospect Noah Vonleh, and Wiggins didn't let them down, going for 19 points and 10 rebounds as Huntington Prep (W.Va.) pulled out a 55-47 win over New Hampton Prep (NH).

Vonleh struggled from the get-go with foul trouble, playing just 16 minutes and finishing with nine points and five rebounds.

“He was looking forward to the matchup,” Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford said. “He likes going against elite players. Sometimes, when there's not a five-star guy across from him, he coasts a bit.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ew-wiggins

19 and 10, decent game. Can't really make any judgments on the kid since I didn't catch the game, but I'm positive this wasn't close to the production he generally puts up. Did anyone catch the full game? If you did, what's your take on both Wiggins and Vonleh? Both kind of had off nights.
supaSPED
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#129 » by supaSPED » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 am

NG15 wrote:
The bleachers of Blake Arena were filled in anticipation for his showdown with fellow top-10 prospect Noah Vonleh, and Wiggins didn't let them down, going for 19 points and 10 rebounds as Huntington Prep (W.Va.) pulled out a 55-47 win over New Hampton Prep (NH).

Vonleh struggled from the get-go with foul trouble, playing just 16 minutes and finishing with nine points and five rebounds.

“He was looking forward to the matchup,” Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford said. “He likes going against elite players. Sometimes, when there's not a five-star guy across from him, he coasts a bit.”

19 and 10, decent game. Can't really make any judgments on the kid since I didn't catch the game, but I'm positive this wasn't close to the production he generally puts up. Did anyone catch the full game? If you did, what's your take on both Wiggins and Vonleh? Both kind of had off nights.

Wiggins didn't play all that well. He missed a ton of free throws, didn't shoot great from the perimeter, and didn't really create too well off the bounce. However, he has a knack for getting the ball in a position to make easy layups and in the paint field goals. He also has a knack for getting contact. I would say that of his 19 points, 16 were because he either had easy layups or free throws from contact drawn in the paint. He knows how to plays angles down low. He also is a better play maker than I thought, his passing is advanced for his age (not as good as Jabari, Lebron, or even Kyle Anderson for that matter).

Vonleh barely played, but when he did play, he was impressive. He isn't explosively athletic like Wiggins, but his handle is decent, his shot looks good, and overall, he lives up to his top 10 status. Couldn't guard Wiggins at all though, and foul trouble indicates that.
supaSPED
Pro Prospect

Post#130 » by supaSPED » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 am

supaSPED wrote:
NG15 wrote:

Wiggins didn't play all that well. He missed a ton of free throws, didn't shoot great from the perimeter, and didn't really create too well off the bounce. However, he has a knack for getting the ball in a position to make easy layups and in the paint field goals. He also has a knack for getting contact. I would say that of his 19 points, 16 were because he either had easy layups or free throws from contact drawn in the paint. He knows how to plays angles down low. He also is a better play maker than I thought, his passing is advanced for his age (though not as good as Jabari, Lebron, or even Kyle Anderson for that matter).

Vonleh barely played, but when he did play, he was impressive. He isn't explosively athletic like Wiggins, but his handle is decent, his shot looks good, and overall, he lives up to his top 10 status. Couldn't guard Wiggins at all though, and foul trouble indicates that.
supaSPED
Pro Prospect

Post#131 » by supaSPED » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 am

NG15 wrote:

Wiggins didn't play all that well. He missed a ton of free throws, didn't shoot great from the perimeter, and didn't really create too well off the bounce. However, he has a knack for getting the ball in a position to make easy layups and in the paint field goals. He also has a knack for getting contact. I would say that of his 19 points, 16 were because he either had easy layups or free throws from contact drawn in the paint. He knows how to plays angles down low. He also is a better play maker than I thought, his passing is advanced for his age (though not as good as Jabari, Lebron, or even Kyle Anderson for that matter).

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#132 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 am

Wiggins was playing with the flu and bronchitis, he couldnt even stay to answer questions after the game.

Been watching Wiggins for a while and skill wise, Parker is better....right now.

Part of the attraction with Wiggins is his meteoric growth. 1.5 yrs ago, he was just a transition dunker. The kid worked hard at the game and has gotten much much much better basketball wise, he's barely scratching the surface as far as skills go. Combine his late bloom with his unmmatched physical attributes, you can see why he is getting the hype.

BTW, calling him the next Lebron is ridiculous.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,181

Post#133 » by D.Brasco » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:08 pm

We've been here before with the lebron HS phenom comparisons. LeBron was very much a man playing against kids physically, you could tell he was NBA ready.

With wiggins he just happens to look very skilled and athletic against his HS competition but we can't be 100% sure how we would translate to the NBA in term of success.
ebo
Sophomore
And1: 229

Post#134 » by ebo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:14 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Image

We've been here before with the lebron HS phenom comparisons. LeBron was very much a man playing against kids physically, you could tell he was NBA ready.

With wiggins he just happens to look very skilled and athletic against his HS competition but we can't be 100% sure how we would translate to the NBA in term of success.

OJ Mayo is a 6'4" shoot guard. Wiggins is a 6'8" small forward with a 7 foot wing span and 44 inch vertical. They aren't really comparable physically, which is one of Wiggins best assets when transitioning to the NBA.

Saying that, too many players are dubbed the next LeBron.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,934

Post#135 » by EH15 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:19 pm

ebo wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:Image

OJ Mayo is a 6'4" shoot guard. Wiggins is a 6'8" small forward with a 7 foot wing span and 44 inch vertical. They aren't really comparable physically, which is one of Wiggins best assets when transitioning to the NBA.

Saying that, too many players are dubbed the next LeBron.

I don't recall many players, if any at all, be called the next Lebron. I don't even remember Mayo being dubbed the next Lebron.

The next KG, the next T-Mac, now that's a different story. Wiggins has earned it though, with his hype and physical attributes.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,164

Post#136 » by niQ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 pm

IF there was ever a player worth tanking for... this is it.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#137 » by Tave » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 pm

I think the knocks on his fine skills are overrated. It's a case of him being truly elite at some things but only great at others. He is clearly a freak athlete, and he does unbelievable things on the court given his size and age. When you see him dominating the game above the rim it's easy to pull the "good athlete, poor fundamental" card. Looking at him objectively, taking into account his age, size, rapid development, and current skill set, we are looking at a remarkable prospect. To be that young, that big, that fluid, that fast, that strong, that agile, and able to handle the ball at the speed he does, go to either side, hit shots from different spots and angles, attack the rim, finish, work the post a little, play good defense--that's a very rare combination.

At this stage, all prospects are works in progress; none of them are finished products. Some are more polished than others, but a guy like Wiggins is advanced enough given his size and athleticism that he looks like a consensus #1 to me. I don't think you need more than a couple minutes watching the kid to realize how special he is.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#138 » by dballislife » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 pm

i predict a lot of tanking next year, talent like wiggins comes along once or twice a decade
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,440

Post#139 » by toodles23 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am

Am I the only one who's not blown away by this athleticism? He's got a ridiculous vertical, but besides that, nothing about his athleticism really pops out at you. His speed and quickness didn't even stand out that much against other HS kids, let alone NBA players. Maybe I'm completely wrong here and haven't seen him play nearly enough, but he doesn't seem like an amazing athlete by NBA standards.
Respect My Mind
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#140 » by Respect My Mind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 am

Why are people acting like he'd didn't already play at the Nike Hoop Summit on ESPN? Sure he was one of the better players there, but it wasn't like "OMG this kid has no equal" He could barely get by people with his dribble.

Like seriously, stop this stupid back and fourth about his game based on YouTube highlights. You can see what he really is below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmK7FU43U8[/youtube]

Edit: Video Starts at 28:00

Return to The General Board