ImageImage

Cleveland-Memphis deal (Leuer for 1st, Speights and others)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Cleveland-Memphis deal (Leuer for 1st, Speights and othe 

Post#21 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Damn I liked Speights and Ellington. But now Leuer is moving in to change the culture.

I hate giving up the pick.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Re: Leur for 1st 

Post#22 » by jr lucosa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 pm

emunney wrote:This is about cap space, not Jon Leuer. File this one under, "Things to tell people when they ask why we should try to get cap space because no big free agent will ever sign with us."

Yep.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#23 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Good trade for both teams. Hope Leuer gets some playing time.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Post#24 » by gbmb34 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't think the Bucks are losing any sleep that they are not in the position to make a trade like this. They didn't get a piece that is remotely interesting, minus maybe Shelby, and with the protections on the pick, its unlikely to amount to much.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Re: Leur for 1st 

Post#25 » by whatthe_buck!? » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

emunney wrote:This is about cap space, not Jon Leuer. File this one under, "Things to tell people when they ask why we should try to get cap space because no big free agent will ever sign with us."

QFT
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#26 » by jeremyd236 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:51 pm

averageposter wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:I don't get why every trade thread not involving the Bucks turns into people bitching about the Bucks not making that trade or a similar trade. Not necessarily in this case, but in most situations, the bitching isn't even accurate (We could have gotten Harden!)

I don't know about every trade, but this kind of trade is a very plausible trade for just about any team. Cap space rentals require only cap space. Its fairly obvious by now the Bucks have been trying to retool while winning, and whether you agree or disagree with that process it does limit the kind of deals you can make. Your own assets are middling, future assets like your own draft pick are middling. The ones that aren't you need for your own success. When you couple that with the lack of draw to sign big talent, you start to see moves like the one just executed as the only way to bolster your asset pool without sabotaging the goal. Also perhaps only way to do so while hoping to strike it rich.

Granted the Bucks don't have the space at the moment, but the players keeping that space from the Bucks are not contributing to their success, Its the Gooden's, Dalembert's, etc. That always seem to be here and never seem to contribute. I guess its that realization that makes it seem entirely possible to compete and rebuild, the Rockets did it for quite some time.

Deals like the Harden one don't bother me at all because that kind of deal only happens if you have the assets and Houston spent a year or two doing deals like the above. But you have to start somewhere.

I agree with you that we could have made this kind of deal if we had the cap space, however we don't. But I don't like looking back in agony on what we could (or should) have done, especially because we not only didn't know this type of deal would be available, but also that we'd be the team selected to make the deal with Memphis. Talking about a future plan to hopefully be in a position to make a deal like this is one thing, but angrily looking back in hypotheticals is another.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#27 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm

jeremyd236 wrote: Talking about a future plan to hopefully be in a position to make a deal like this is one thing, but angrily looking back in hypotheticals is another.

The frustration here is that our owner and GM are never forward thinking. The collective on this board can usually spot coming trends as it relates to free agents available, strength of draft, where the luxury tax will be set, etc and with it offer suggestions of how to position the team to take advantage of it.

Our team never does any of these creative things. We just always "react" to whatever is pressing against us that particular month. No vision. No forward planning.

I also disagree with the note above that this draft pick is "meh". The odds are good that Memphis will be a "meh" franchise in two years and that the pick could be in the 6-14 range. Those trades with the funky picks always seem to come back to bite the franchise that dealt them.

Back in 2007 the Warriors dealt a future first away to the Nets for "Marcus Williams". Remember him? That first then got used by the Nets in the Deron deal and went to Utah. If it wasn't for a massive GSW tank job and end of season coin flip, that pick would have been Drummond and it would have gone to Utah.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#28 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Whoa. Memphis is going to fall to what in two years? How could they possibly drop that far? They lost Gay for almost an entire year and they were still elite. Then they lost ZBo for a full year and didn't miss a beat. I know 2 years is a while but I find it unlikely they could drop far enough for that pick to be that valuable.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#29 » by emunney » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Define 'elite'.

It's not that hard to fall out of the top 8 in the West. Dallas won the whole thing two years ago.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#30 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Whoa. Memphis is going to fall to what in two years? How could they possibly drop that far? They lost Gay for almost an entire year and they were still elite. Then they lost ZBo for a full year and didn't miss a beat. I know 2 years is a while but I find it unlikely they could drop far enough for that pick to be that valuable.

I see Memphis as a collection of really good players and zero superstars. We know those type of teams can be unsustainable. I'm not predicting they'll fall apart but remember that they have zero flexibility now to add anything because of what they are paying Conley, Zach, Gasol and Gay. Have Gasol blow an ACL and it's over for them.

Remember how people here and around the league felt about the Milwaukee Bucks after the 2001 season? We had a similar team. No superstars but some really good players like Memphis. And we had payroll problems with that team. We were into the luxury tax which was going to necessitate us trading at least one of the "big four" if not two of them.

As people recall, our 2002 draft pick was a lotto pick (#13). No one in 2001 would have said we'd be lotto the next year and miss the playoffs.

Further, as part of our lux tax problems in fall 2001 we sent a first round pick out to Denver in order for them to take Scott Williams and his $5mm off our hands to avoid the lux tax. That pick later got dealt to the Hawks and ended up being Josh Smith. Who saw that coming?

And heck, I forgot what may turn out to the best example of all. What if the Lakers miss the playoffs this year? Their lotto pick goes unprotected to the Suns. If that transpires, did anyone here see that coming?

4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#31 » by 4xBuck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Yeah, Memphis will be spinning their wheels a little bit.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,718

Post#32 » by Ayt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Now they need to find a way to trade Gay.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#33 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Ayt wrote:Now they need to find a way to trade Gay.

Yeah I still think they should've traded Gay to get under the tax instead of those pieces.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#34 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 pm

I have no problem trading a first round pick during the season of that draft, where I know the draft class and have some clue as what my pick position might be.

But most teams that trade first round picks years out with these crazy formulas usually get burned.

giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#35 » by giraldo5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Ayt wrote:Now they need to find a way to trade Gay.

Yeah I still think they should've traded Gay to get under the tax instead of those pieces.

Watched teh entire Pacers/Griizlies game. Gay looked dreadful and over matched vs George. Where did all of his athleticism go? I can't imagine teams are lining up to get him. But then again Grunfeld and Colangelo still have jobs.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#36 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 pm

giraldo5 wrote: I can't imagine teams are lining up to get him. But then again Grunfeld and Colangelo still have jobs.

I think you've hit on it. The world isn't jumping to give positive assets for Rudy Gay when he's owed that $55 million over the next three years.

They were going to end up taking crap back that wasn't going to help them on the court or with the salary cap. So they went to this deal to put a band aid on and save them $10-15 million in payroll and lux tax this season.

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#37 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 am

Just a side note but it's almost annoying that a team can trade a 1st but have it position-protected. I think it should be straight up.

Look at this diluted mess of top 12 protected picks through 2057:

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed

That said, I hope the Grizz keep Gay and the same 5 together as long as possible.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#38 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 am

Nebula1 wrote:Just a side note but it's almost annoying that a team can trade a 1st but have it position-protected. I think it should be straight up.

This has become a complete convoluted mess the past year. Morey started it by getting that pick for Lowry to be guaranteed lotto 3-13.

emunney
RealGM

Post#39 » by emunney » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am

I wish we had Conley.
emunney
RealGM

Post#40 » by emunney » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:13 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Just a side note but it's almost annoying that a team can trade a 1st but have it position-protected. I think it should be straight up.

This has become a complete convoluted mess the past year. Morey started it by getting that pick for Lowry to be guaranteed lotto by getting it from Toronto.

Had to fix that one.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks