Trying out nets/lakers/trailblazers

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Trying out nets/lakers/trailblazers 

Post#1 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 am

This of course assuming the lakers don't feel good about Dwight and want to move pau to the 5

Lakers receive:
Joe Johnson
Nic batum
Fits the small ball style well, they keep artest at the 4 and have batum as a 6th man

Nets receive:
D12
Wes Matthews
Steve Blake
Chris duhon
Get the guy prok wants plus a good sg and salary filler

Blazers receive:
Brook lopez
A pairing of lopez and Aldridge could dominate offensively and lopez has come along defensively.

Realistically I never could see this happening of course, but I was playing with the trade machine. Lakers get alright value but not great, it's more about fit than talent. Nets give up the lopez because he won't fit with Dwight but they get the best center in the nba when healthy. The blazers set up a great front court and lillard, plus don't they have cap space to run at mayo and an average sf this offseason?

Meh, probably a bad idea but there's some semblance of sense for each team.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Re: Trying out nets/lakers/trailblazers 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 am

This is a mess of a trade for the Lakers. Is JJ going to play PG for them, maybe Batum as a Point Forward? You have the Lakers trading away every single PG they have, so I'm assuming one of them has to fill that role.

Then you've got the Blazers who fill one hole at C by creating two bigger holes SG and SF. If that's not the definition of 'one step forward and two steps back', I don't know what is. Doesn't make much sense for them.

In the end, the only team this really makes any sense for is Brooklyn who gets an upgrade at C, doesn't take a huge step backwards at SG and get some decent backups for DWill.

Needless to say, this deal doesn't go far.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#3 » by giberish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 am

The Lakers still have Nash to start at PG (and with MDT coaching, play 40+ mpg).

Portland would have a horrific wing rotation after this. They'd really give up on making the playoffs this year (which IMO is unlikely anyway, but they probably aren't willing to concede this). Still better to keep Matthews or Batum and send out Leonard and/or Hickson in the deal for position balance.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#4 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 am

The lakers still have Darius morris, Blake has been out and losing duhon is losing depth but not good depth. It definitely creates a hole but with half a season left the thinking is you have to do...something, and this would be purely about fit. The offense can run through Johnson and Bryant while Nash is on the bench.

For the blazers it's purely a talent and rebuild move. Lopez is the second best player in the trade and fills the most difficult position to find quality in the nba. It won't help this season but they have cap space in the offseason to try and fill the wings. Mayo would be a great fit, I don't know what other wings would be out there.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#5 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am

giberish wrote:The Lakers still have Nash to start at PG (and with MDT coaching, play 40+ mpg).

Portland would have a horrific wing rotation after this. They'd really give up on making the playoffs this year (which IMO is unlikely anyway, but they probably aren't willing to concede this). Still better to keep Matthews or Batum and send out Leonard and/or Hickson in the deal for position balance.

Sending hickson out instead of Matthews still works and the nets have marshon brooks, though the staff seems to hate him.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 am

giberish wrote:The Lakers still have Nash to start at PG (and with MDT coaching, play 40+ mpg).

My bad, I thought I saw Nash included in this trade.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#7 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am

spearsy23 wrote:For the blazers it's purely a talent and rebuild move. Lopez is the second best player in the trade and fills the most difficult position to find quality in the nba.
I won't argue with your second point but I don't see Lopez and Aldridge as a good fit. Both have well rounded offensive games but neither is a good rebounder.

I'm not so sure that Lopez is better than Batum though. Batum has improved a lot this season. He's average 6 rebounds and 4.5 assists and is a really well rounded player as well.

If Lopez is better the difference is not worth Wesley Matthews who is a very underrated player on Realgm, especially when the fit alongside Aldridge is taken into account.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to Trades and Transactions