Best 1-on-1 players in history

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 534

Best 1-on-1 players in history 

Post#1 » by Gregoire » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 am

Not long time ago Kobe Bryant claims himself as a best 1-on-1 player in history. If he was right or no? How can we compare bigs to small guys in 1-on-1? Brian Scalabrini several days ago played some 1-on-1 with streetballers and won it all. So, which players, you think, could win the all-time 1-on-1 tournament.
My proposal rules: halfcourt, referee, 3point arc of NBA, each round to 11 points, to 10 wins. Game with score system:1 point for FT,1 for in the arc,2 outside the arc (fouls called - 2 FTs and change possesion), after each basket possesion changes.After 5 fouls all fouls became shooting fouls.
Proposal candidates:
Best PG:
Magic
Oscar
Paul
Irving
Penny
Maravich
Iverson
Thomas
SG:
MJ
Kobe
Wade

Gervin
Drexler
Carter
T-Mac
SF:
Barry
Pippen
Bird
Lebron
Connie Hawkins
Dantley
Barkley

Durant
PF:
Lanier
Malone
Duncan
Garnett
Dirk

C:
Hakeem
Wilt
Shaq
Kareem

Robinson
Its a very rough list, but I try to rank them by probability to winning the tournament.
MJ
Kareem
Hakeem
Magic
Lebron/Shaq
Wilt
Kobe
Duncan
Barkley/Wade
Dirk
Bird
Garnett
Durant
your opinions?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy tho. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. The refs literally Nerf LeBron to protect the league. That's gonna be one of the most enduring takes for me from his career. :lol:
RayBan-Sematra
Assistant Coach
And1: 911

Re: Best 1-on-1 players in history 

Post#2 » by RayBan-Sematra » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 am

No one can stop Shaq 1v1.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#3 » by Gregoire » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 am

RayBan-Sematra wrote:No one can stop Shaq 1v1.

Let it to begin :wink:
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy tho. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. The refs literally Nerf LeBron to protect the league. That's gonna be one of the most enduring takes for me from his career. :lol:
Youthanasia
Junior
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Youthanasia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am

no one can score on bill russell

So bill russell
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#5 » by Doormatt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am

Youthanasia wrote:no one can score on bill russell

So bill russell

thats entirely false, in fact russell's biggest weakness was his 1v1 defense. much like KG, he made his impact defensively by being a mobile, team oriented big man. russell wasnt big like shaq or wilt and i dont even think he was 7 feet, so i think in a straight 1on1 he would probably get wrecked by someone like Shaq.
#doorgek
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#6 » by rrravenred » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Sir Charles has got to be close on the Backdown. Especially if there's no fool telling him to give up the ball every 24 seconds...
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#7 » by Kobe Bean » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#8 » by Kobe Bean » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Please, keep LeBron's name out of that list. He's the best player and all, but there are coutless players with better 1v1 qualities that aren't even close to his level as an NBA player. Also, Magic? TROLO-fuc*ing-LOL

Perimeter players:

- Kobe
- Iverson
- Carmelo
- Jordan
- McGrady
- Zeke
- Wade
- Penny
- Durant (height mismatch)

Big men:

- Shaq
- Kareem
- Chuck
- Hakeem
- Duncan
- Wilt
- Dirk

No particular order.I won't even try to rank anyone in a list with Jordan (any list that's not the Top 2 GOAT list I keep my mouth shut on) because of all the mythical bullsh*t spewed about him that makes it seem like he was the best at everything
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#9 » by UN-Owen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 pm

A prime Grant Hill would do well

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEeYFH-qlvk[/youtube]
odeski
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#10 » by odeski » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:52 pm

shaq and jordan.... my other votes goes to wilt ,kobe,kareem,t-mac and lebron
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,345

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm

FTs in 1 on 1? Refs?

No man its make it take it--play by ones, win by 2, call your own but ballers play through.

And never bet against Jordan in 1 on 1.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#12 » by 90sAllDecade » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Peak Garnett would terrorize other PFs at this game. A big with enough outside shooting to hit the 3ptr, quick/athletic for dominant perimeter defense and strength for post defense & rebounds.

Despite his defensive shortcomings, Dirk would upset many people if he got hot from the 3pt line as well. Garnett would be have the match-up edge though. Barkley and Malone would be dark horses for upsets too.

PF
1. Garnett
2. Dirk / Barkley/ Malone

The same would apply to centers. Hakeem used to play 1v1 with guards before practice all the time. Shaq's perimeter defense and lack of a 3pt shot would be a weakness, but his sheer post physicality would win him many games. Kareem wasn't as good a rebounder, defender or 3pt shooter as Hakeem (which isn't saying much 3pt wise), but his all around game & dominant skyhook would keep him in the mix.

1. Hakeem
2. Shaq/ Kareem

PGs I have to think more about, but Magic might eat up a lot of people and Chris Paul would do damage as well.
1.Magic
Paul (not sure yet)

SG
1. MJ
2. Kobe

SF
1. Bird / Durant/ LeBron

I think the wing-men would win more often in a tournament.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
ReturnofFlash
Rookie
And1: 262

Post#13 » by ReturnofFlash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Melo would probably beat everyone except Jordan or Durant (no bigs).
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#14 » by GAME TIME » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 pm

RayBan_Semantra

Just foul shaq , problem solved :lol:
dho4ever
Rookie
And1: 760

Post#15 » by dho4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm

GAME TIME wrote:

RayBan_Semantra

Just foul shaq , problem solved :lol:

I don't think you shoot freethrows in one on one
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#16 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm

90sAllDecade wrote:Peak Garnett would terrorize other PFs at this game. A big with enough outside shooting to hit the 3ptr, quick/athletic for dominant perimeter defense and strength for post defense & rebounds.

Despite his defensive shortcomings, Dirk would upset many people if he got hot from the 3pt line as well. Garnett would be have the match-up edge though. Barkley and Malone would be dark horses for upsets too.

PF
1. Garnett
2. Dirk / Barkley/ Malone

The same would apply to centers. Hakeem used to play 1v1 with guards before practice all the time. Shaq's perimeter defense and lack of a 3pt shot would be a weakness, but his sheer post physicality would win him many games. Kareem wasn't as good a rebounder, defender or 3pt shooter as Hakeem (which isn't saying much 3pt wise), but his all around game & dominant skyhook would keep him in the mix.

1. Hakeem
2. Shaq/ Kareem

PGs I have to think more about, but Magic might eat up a lot of people and Chris Paul would do damage as well.
1.Magic
Paul (not sure yet)

SG
1. MJ
2. Kobe

SF
1. Bird / Durant/ LeBron

I think the wing-men would win more often in a tournament.

They did this in 1972 and 73, in 72 the finalists were Jojo White and Bob Lanier with Lanier posting White consistently for the win. In 73 it was another combo guard, Geoff Petrie v. swingman Barry Clemens with Petrie winning. Of course there was no 3 point line which would give little guys a much better chance and PF slot, particularly, has evolved toward one on one play.

Thus from the limited sample size, you should go with a guard despite the fact that no one could stop Shaq from continually just backing them down. I'd bet on a player with great athleticism and good size who lives by the 3 point shot; even with Shaq playing.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#17 » by 90sAllDecade » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
They did this in 1972 and 73, in 72 the finalists were Jojo White and Bob Lanier with Lanier posting White consistently for the win. In 73 it was another combo guard, Geoff Petrie v. swingman Barry Clemens with Petrie winning. Of course there was no 3 point line which would give little guys a much better chance and PF slot, particularly, has evolved toward one on one play.

Thus from the limited sample size, you should go with a guard despite the fact that no one could stop Shaq from continually just backing them down. I'd bet on a player with great athleticism and good size who lives by the 3 point shot; even with Shaq playing.

Good call, I didn't know that. Having played 1v1 games and watching others, I agree certain players are more specialized for it.

Shaq would have to come out on the perimeter or risk getting torched with threes. If he traded baskets (dunks every time to the opposing players 3ptrs) he'd lose, especially over the course of multiple games imo.

Shaq would destroy people in the post, it would be almost unfair. But if fouls (or free throws) are allowed, he'd be at big disadvantage.

I looked up the game you mentioned and found an interesting ball don't lie article and video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9WhHFhLus[/youtube]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/revisiting-nba-1972-one-one-tournament-wondering-could-141207072--nba.html

I wonder if the ref in the video called fouls or free throws? Edit: I missed it initially, but the announcer later says on your 4th foul you get a free throw.

Like Kelly Dwyer, I'd love to see a tournament like this during the all star break, with younger or lesser known players competing like in the slam dunk contest.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
wenzi
Senior
And1: 2

Post#18 » by wenzi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 am

jordan :D
Career Loser = LeBron James
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#19 » by DNice68 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 am

I'd probably have to consider Jordan to be the best one on one player just slightly over Kobe. I think Jordan is on a whole other level than Kobe when it comes to moving without the ball. I don't really think of Lebron of being a all time one on one player. I would put Paul Pierce and Grant Hill above him in that regard.
CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#20 » by CousinOfDeath » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 am

Scal is obviously the GOAT.
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.

Return to Player Comparisons