KJ keeping the Kings in Sacramento

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Respect My Mind
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Re: KJ keeping the Kings in Sacramento 

Post#61 » by Respect My Mind » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Never Wrong wrote:Sacramento too poor :cry:

:lol:

I know its so funny. They need to accept their poverty and move on. LMAO 19 freaking owners.
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#62 » by NYK_89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

deNIEd wrote:
tfmiii wrote:impressive display of numbers, but I don't think they sway Stern

he will be looking at TV $$ not arena attendance

Seattle is a bigger TV market (12th), also has regional clout

whereas Sacto, while the 20th market, lacks regional clout due to relative proximity to bay area

TV is where the $$$ is, i would guess merchandising would also tilt in seatle's favor as well

sadly NBA is a corporate league, not a fan base league

how does that explain OKC? I dunno, perhaps due to regional presence (OK, No Tx, Ks)?

Memphis, NO, Cha??? all i can think is that these are regions where NBA sees future econ/pop growth, and already existing college bball fan base.

perhaps someone on this board may have some more insight, this is the best I can figure off the top of my head

I'm sure KJ/Sacramento will present studies showing the actual differences in market sizes for sports between Seattle and Sacramento.

Why Seattle is larger (Sacramento is 20th I believe), the actual difference should be a lot smaller (if any) simply as Seattle has the MLB and NFL to compete with, as well as a premiere collegiate athletic program. Sacramento has absolutely nothing in terms of competition. It's the NBA and that's about it...no other major professional sports and local collegiate sports are not at an elite level by any means.

San Fran is a hour and a halfs drive away lets face it there is a reason that SAC only has one pro sports and is almost guranteed to lose it as well... Just because the team had support when they were one of the best few in the NBA does not make it a viable city, this isn't even OKC where at least it is the only pro sports team for a good 500 miles, im sure half the people in the area identify as fans of another cali sports team anyways.
CrymeTime
Bench Warmer
And1: 265

Post#63 » by CrymeTime » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 pm

If the King relocate, I wonder if the NBA would consider a 2 team expansion, sort of like when Charlotte was promised an expansion team after losing the hornets.

Sacramento and Vancouver should get a second chance.
Also, the West is insanely strong. So if you moved 1 team to the East, and added 2 expansion teams, you can balance out the conferences abit.

Western Conference
NorthWest Division
Seattle
Vancouver (expansion)
Portland
Utah

California Division
Sacramento (expansion)
Golden State
LA Clippers
LA Lakers

SouthWest Division
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

Needs a name
Denver
Oklahoma City
New Orleans
Memphis/Minnesota

Eastern Conference
Central Division
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minnesota/Memphis
Indiana

Needs a Name
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Washington

North East Division
New York
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Boston

South East Division
Atlanta
Charlotte
Orlando
Miami

VS Division: 4 games x 3 teams = 12 games
VS rest of Conference: 3 games x 12 teams = 36 games (alternate every year who gets 1 home, 2 road game)
VS other Conference: 2 games x 16 teams = 32 games

Total of 80 games per season

Division winners are guaranteed a playoff spot, but not top 4.
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#64 » by Frank Mulely » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

expansion is just creating more helpless teams with no chance of competing.

here's my plan: make teams play 1/3 of their home schedule in another city. GSW can play in Vancouver, Thunder in Kansas City, Sonikings play 1/3 of their schedule in Sacto, etc. fans in 2nd/3rd tier cities get to see honest to goodness NBA action right in their hometown. win.
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,960

Post#65 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Frank Mulely wrote:expansion is just creating more helpless teams with no chance of competing..

Exactly. Expansion of the league is a bad bad BAD idea. The talent in this league is stretched too thin as it is. The NBA needs contraction, not expansion.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
HyMay
Pro Prospect
And1: 98

Post#66 » by HyMay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

It is microsoft money against the small timers. In business the underdog doesn't win. Plus who doesn't want to see the supersonics uniform again.
HyMay
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#67 » by tosi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

CrymeTime wrote:If the King relocate, I wonder if the NBA would consider a 2 team expansion, sort of like when Charlotte was promised an expansion team after losing the hornets.

Also, the West is insanely strong. So if you moved 1 team to the East, and added 2 expansion teams, you can balance out the conferences abit.

Western Conference
NorthWest Division
Seattle
Vancouver (expansion)
Portland
Utah

California Division
Sacramento (expansion)
Golden State
LA Clippers
LA Lakers

SouthWest Division
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

Needs a name
Denver
Oklahoma City
New Orleans
Memphis/Minnesota

Eastern Conference
Central Division
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minnesota/Memphis
Indiana

Needs a Name
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Washington

North East Division
New York
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Boston

South East Division
Atlanta
Charlotte
Orlando
Miami

VS rest of Conference: 3 games x 12 teams = 36 games (alternate every year who gets 1 home, 2 road game)

Putting the raptors in an easier Division? i am down with that.. lol
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#68 » by tosi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

CrymeTime wrote:If the King relocate, I wonder if the NBA would consider a 2 team expansion, sort of like when Charlotte was promised an expansion team after losing the hornets.

Western Conference
NorthWest Division
Seattle
Vancouver (expansion)
Portland
Utah

California Division
Sacramento (expansion)
Golden State
LA Clippers
LA Lakers

SouthWest Division
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

Needs a name
Denver
Oklahoma City
New Orleans
Memphis/Minnesota

Eastern Conference
Central Division
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minnesota/Memphis
Indiana

Needs a Name
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Washington

North East Division
New York
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Boston

South East Division
Atlanta
Charlotte
Orlando
Miami

Putting the raptors in an easier Division? i am down with that.. lol
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#69 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:expansion is just creating more helpless teams with no chance of competing..

Exactly. Expansion of the league is a bad bad BAD idea. The talent in this league is stretched too thin as it is. The NBA needs contraction, not expansion.

People are always making this claim, and its kind of ridiculous. Back in the 80s the NBA had something like 23-24 teams, and it drew its players almost entirely from one country, the U.S. Now the NBA has 30 teams, and its drawing players from half the world. Still the U.S., but now a number of strong European countries, South American strongholds like Argentina, China has been opened etc. There is no way you can tell me that all of these new basketball markets haven't produced enough extra talent to fill 6 NBA teams going into the future. Nor that 13 extra players on top of 400 already here are some sort of tipping point.
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#70 » by WhamBamSlamm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Seattle has not bought the team, Burkle/Mastrov will buy the team.

Too bad Seattle
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#71 » by bennith13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

The team has been sold. Contract signed. Only the BOG can say reject the deal at this point. What they (the BOG) end up doing remains to be seen, but the team has been sold.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#72 » by No Offense » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

WhamBamSlamm wrote:Seattle has not bought the team, Burkle/Mastrov will buy the team.

Too bad Seattle

Are you ever planning on adding anything of value or insightful to this topic or do you plan on repeatedly beating the same drum without having any proof that it's true?

I hate to say it, but the only thing that this "Here We Stay" movement and KJ are doing is delaying the inevitable and it will make it hurt more once it actually happens.

I feel bad for the vast majority of Kings fans but you're making it hard to feel any sympathy for you.
Inigo_Montoya
Pro Prospect
And1: 42

Post#73 » by Inigo_Montoya » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 pm

No Offense wrote:
WhamBamSlamm wrote:Seattle has not bought the team, Burkle/Mastrov will buy the team.

Too bad Seattle

Are you ever planning on adding anything of value or insightful to this topic or do you plan on repeatedly beating the same drum without having any proof that it's true?

I hate to say it, but the only thing that this "Here We Stay" movement and KJ are doing is delaying the inevitable and it will make it hurt more once it actually happens.

I feel bad for the vast majority of Kings fans but you're making it hard to feel any sympathy for you.

I don't think that he has ever posted in the Kings forum and I don't think that he is actually a Kings fan. Just a troll with some kind of grudge against Seattle.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#74 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm

No Offense wrote:

Too bad Seattle

Oddly I would handicap it the other way. I wouldn't be running around making ridiculous taunts, but Seattle people seem to think that there is this vast swell of magic gotta help Seattle sentiment flowing through the league, and I just don't see how that works if Sacramento, who's team it is and has been for 3 decades now, walks into that BOG meeting with its mayor, a near HOF level NBA insider, introducing an arena plan which was already approved by the NBA just last year, and a rich owner willing to match the Seattle offer. I don't even know how you COULD strip a home team of its franchise if it had all of those things. What would that even mean for the league? That it would become a league with no respect for local fanbases at all just willing to move its teams around form city to city willy nilly regardless of their support? Why would any local city ever put itself out bending over backward meeting NBA demands if in the end they could get screwed anyway? Its the sort of thing that has larger implications than just Sacramento and Seattle. There's got to be some inherent bargain in any professional sports league that you build us an arena, you support the team, you find good ownership willing to keep it there, and we'll have your back.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,024

Post#75 » by tfmiii » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 pm

deNIEd wrote:I'm sure KJ/Sacramento will present studies showing the actual differences in market sizes for sports between Seattle and Sacramento.

Why Seattle is larger (Sacramento is 20th I believe), the actual difference should be a lot smaller (if any) simply as Seattle has the MLB and NFL to compete with, as well as a premiere collegiate athletic program. Sacramento has absolutely nothing in terms of competition. It's the NBA and that's about it...no other major professional sports and local collegiate sports are not at an elite level by any means.

I've heard this argument before, that somehow more sports teams dilute the value of a franchise, but isn't it just a fallacy like the lump of labor argument? Is there any empirical evidence to support this or just anecdote??

If he NBA rests on TV revenue and TV depends on advertising, then the size of the market is paramount, not some corn-pone argument that the lower-middle class can only afford one jersey a year or one trip for a family of four to one sporting event.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#76 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm

KJ should get 5 players still in the game to buy the team. That would be epic. I want a player to play for AND own a team. The networth of many rosters is worth more than the Kings.

But then those players need to sign there so maybe it's not such a great idea unless you love Sac.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman

Post#77 » by WhamBamSlamm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm

The whales are here and the BoG will do the right thing.

Guaranteed
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman

Post#78 » by WhamBamSlamm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm

20th and 21st investors on board.

Burkle and Mastrov to follow.

Good game Seattle...But you about to lose
catch22
Junior
And1: 5

Post#79 » by catch22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 pm

WhamBamSlamm wrote:20th and 21st investors on board.

Burkle and Mastrov to follow.

Good game Seattle...But you about to lose

How are you not banned yet?
P.D.B.E.
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#80 » by P.D.B.E. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 pm

KJ: "I have a call scheduled with the commissioner (Thursday)."

Very positive for Sacramento.
Italy wants Kings in Sacto, KEEP THE KINGS IN SACRAMENTO

Return to The General Board