ImageImageImage

Granger?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Granger? 

Post#1 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Board thoughts on Granger? I have always thought DWill in Indy would be a good fit for him...half season learning behind West (or more if West signs a 1 year deal or something).

Granger for the Wolves gives them flexibility with AK, playing time (more time at PF) and trade potential. Plus it is buy low time with Granger, but I think he will be really motivated to prove himself after injury...even more so if traded. Wolves get his production post injury and could sell high next season when he has proven himself and has an expiring contract value.

Trade Example: DWill, Rid, Roy for Granger and Hansbrough (or DJ).
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Re: Granger? 

Post#2 » by jscott » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 pm

I like the IDEA of Granger but how efficient has he been? Is this just a move that creates playing time for Paul George? Is Granger still an above average to good defender?

I haven't seen enough of him but if he is the Granger they had a couple years ago I'd definitely consider this type of trade.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,957

Post#3 » by shrink » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Hey RR - big fan of your trades on the Trade Board thread.

I think you can get instant satisfaction looking at this thread - we arrived at the same place

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1231035
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#4 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 pm

shrink wrote:Hey RR - big fan of your trades on the Trade Board thread.

I think you can get instant satisfaction looking at this thread - we arrived at the same place

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1231035

Great...guess I din't look far enough main board :( Thanks Shrink.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#5 » by 8305 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Pacer fan here. I don't know that my view is shared by everyone on the Pacer's Board but, in a Granger trade I'd be looking to move up in this draft. Assuming Minn doesn't hit in the lottery could you see something like:

Ridnour + Minn 2013 1st for Granger + Ind 2013 1st?

As for Derrick Williams, I think Indiana resigns David West for at least 2 or maybe 3 more years. Williams would be in the same spot in Indiana as he is in Minnesota, not getting enough minutes to develop.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,957

Post#6 » by shrink » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 pm

8305 wrote:Pacer fan here. I don't know that my view is shared by everyone on the Pacer's Board but, in a Granger trade I'd be looking to move up in this draft. Assuming Minn doesn't hit in the lottery could you see something like:

The problem with IND looking for a pick in the lottery is that you're swimming upstream.

The teams that want Granger for two years want two shots in the play-offs. However, if they want to make the play-offs this year, they aren't going to be able to offer a lottery pick, unless they own someone else's pick that isn't protected in the lottery.

While there are plenty of 1st round picks traded this year, only two traded picks have worse than Top 10 protection:

UTA owns GSW pick, Top 6 protected .. currently 20-21.
OKC owns TOR pick, Top 3 protected .. currently 10. We'll see if the Gay trade helps them.

(IND pick is currently 23, for those that are curious)
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#7 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 am

8305 wrote:Pacer fan here. I don't know that my view is shared by everyone on the Pacer's Board but, in a Granger trade I'd be looking to move up in this draft. Assuming Minn doesn't hit in the lottery could you see something like:

As for Derrick Williams, I think Indiana resigns David West for at least 2 or maybe 3 more years. Williams would be in the same spot in Indiana as he is in Minnesota, not getting enough minutes to develop.

Can I ask why you want a pick? But then say no to DWill who is only 1.5 years removed from draft himself? And I think he is a great fit next to George. Also remember Pacers selected a PF last year who just hasn't worked out...so they clearly want a long term replacement for West, but that draft is sure a crap-shoot.

I would think Indy right now as it stands MAY want to resign West...if they trade for another PF, in this case DWill, I am sure they change their thinking, slightly. Maybe just a 1 year deal for West, or nothing at all.
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by 8305 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm

In the summer of 2014 the Pacers will likely have 50 mil in salary committed to 4 players Hibbert, Hill, George and West. That dictates a game of moneyball thereafter. Guys coming out in the draft this year give you two more years on a rookie contract than Williams.

Remember, I don't see this transaction going down until after this season is over so you would know if you hit the lottery with your pick or not. If not you would be trading a late lotto pick. Second I expect David West to be resigned (two to three years 12 mil/year). If West is paid that well he will be expected to play big minutes. Under those circumstances there would be very little run for Williams.

I'm not hearing anyone say Plumlee is a bust. There's just no opportunity for him right now.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#9 » by Mattya » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I dont think Granger is the guy we would trade our pick for.
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by 8305 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm

I think Danny would be a good fit in Minnesota. He's never had to opportunity to play with a gifted distributor like Rubio projects to be. I think with Rubio you might see his efficiency improve.

If you guys could ever get everyone healthy at the same time I think you could be very good as early as next season. I see a guy like Granger being the final piece to a very solid core of players.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#11 » by Mattya » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 pm

If we could get everyone healthy. It's a beautiful dream, but trading for a player that missed a lot of this season with a knee injury makes that dream even less likely to come true. Especially at the cost of a high draft pick locked into a rookie salary scale. Then Granger is also a free agent with the possibility to leave. It isn't a good fit when we look at everything.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#12 » by [RCG] » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Granger has been on a slow steady decline for a couple years now. No thanks.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#13 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:35 pm

[RCG] wrote:Granger has been on a slow steady decline for a couple years now. No thanks.

That might be true...but no doubt he is still a buy low trade target right now. He will be motivated to prove himself during comeback, and given PT, he will undoubtedly earn more trade value going into offseason or next TD.

So from Wolves standpoint, they aren't winning anything this year. Might as well acquire an asset of low(er) value, let him, Love, AK share majority minutes at SF/PF. And if he elevates his game to anything close to previous form, Wolves would be holding an asset that is performing near elite level and has large expiring contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves