ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2012-13 NCAA Knicks fan March Madness Bracket group

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

SkyMason21
Junior
And1: 79

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#181 » by SkyMason21 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 pm

yaboynyp wrote:Rewatched it last night and all I can say is wow…Funny quote by Jack Cooley after the game sums it up..

"That play with Russ where they had 30 seconds left and he drove it in?" Cooley said. "I think Coach Pitino lost two years off his life tonight. He might have to put that horse down.”

Fyi Weirdo Pitino buys race horses and names them after his players.. His latest horse he named Russdiculous...

Yeah its wierd but funny.

Watching this Cuse vs St. John's game. Can't believe they didn't give Fair that poster dunk, there are just times when you don't call a charge at that was definitely one of them. Really like Fair's game and he's finally able to make 3s somewhat consistently. Small sample size but the improvement is there.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#182 » by yaboynyp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 am

SkyMason21 wrote:
yaboynyp wrote:Rewatched it last night and all I can say is wow…Funny quote by Jack Cooley after the game sums it up..

"That play with Russ where they had 30 seconds left and he drove it in?" Cooley said. "I think Coach Pitino lost two years off his life tonight. He might have to put that horse down.”

Fyi Weirdo Pitino buys race horses and names them after his players.. His latest horse he named Russdiculous...

Watching this Cuse vs St. John's game. Can't believe they didn't give Fair that poster dunk, there are just times when you don't call a charge at that was definitely one of them. Really like Fair's game and he's finally able to make 3s somewhat consistently. Small sample size but the improvement is there.

That Porter Fair matchup coming up next week is going to be crazy..
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#183 » by SkyMason21 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm

yaboynyp wrote:
SkyMason21 wrote:

That Porter Fair matchup coming up next week is going to be crazy..

Can't wait. I need to watch Porter more, because I swear I've never seen him jump high enough to get over a phone book, but youtube says otherwise :lol:
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#184 » by SkyMason21 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:51 am

Florida vs Kentucky-
Best game I've seen from Patric Young, played like he was the most physically imposing player on the court all game. Out muscled every UK player (like he should) on D and blocked plenty of shots.

Scottie Wilbekin has been everything Florida was missing at the point guard position last year. Finally have a true playmaker instead of an undersized scorer there. Pressured the ball like you expect a Florida guard too, and is way younger than I thought (19 year old junior pg). Definitely gonna keep an eye on him.

Erik Murphy is an interesting stretch 4, not great strength but enough were he wouldn't be as bad as Novak as a full time 4.

Noel needs a lot of work offensively but his length is a huge difference maker for UK. Alters/blocks plenty of shots and gets into the passing lanes. I still think his body makes him more of a 4 than a 5 and he bites to hard on pump fakes, but I like the kid more than I did at the start of the season.

The rest (Goodwin, Poythress, and Cauley-Stien). Goodwin just is out of control to often for me to enjoy watching him play. Poythress just seems to disappear for stretches like Jones did last year but you can still see the potential. Cauley-Stien is just raw. Not gonna knock him or Noel for their struggles in the post since both Young and Murphy were just so much bigger physically that they shouldn't have been able to consistently get position down low.

Hope Noel is ok.

Michigan vs Michigan State -

Not much for me to say anymore on the Michigan side. The Burke-McGary pick&roll is looking better, especially when McGary is making his jump shots. Glen Robinson's fear/inability to dribble the ball kills him in games like this where open spot up jumpers, and transition scores are harder to come by.

I'm glad Branden Dawson doesn't seem to have missed a step since his ACL surgery. Really needs to fix his shot (from everywhere). Love his rebounding and defense.

Gary Harris is alil skinny and needs more strength to fight through screens. But he's more aggressive/effective defensively than I thought he'd be.

Need to watch Denzel Valentine more. 6-5 former pg turned shooting guard. Rebounded really well this game, and rebounds well overall for a guard (4 boards in 21 mins per game).
SonOfMars
RealGM
And1: 2,741

Post#185 » by SonOfMars » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 am

Any update on that Noel injury?
Props Turbo_Zone
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#186 » by SkyMason21 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 pm

SonOfMars wrote:Any update on that Noel injury?

Got x rays in Florida, but Cal said they won't know the extent of the damage until he gets back to Kentucky. So expect some news around mid day today.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#187 » by Flaming Mo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:27 pm

SkyMason21 wrote:Florida vs Kentucky-
Best game I've seen from Patric Young, played like he was the most physically imposing player on the court all game. Out muscled every UK player (like he should) on D and blocked plenty of shots.

Scottie Wilbekin has been everything Florida was missing at the point guard position last year. Finally have a true playmaker instead of an undersized scorer there. Pressured the ball like you expect a Florida guard too, and is way younger than I thought (19 year old junior pg). Definitely gonna keep an eye on him.

Erik Murphy is an interesting stretch 4, not great strength but enough were he wouldn't be as bad as Novak as a full time 4.

Noel needs a lot of work offensively but his length is a huge difference maker for UK. Alters/blocks plenty of shots and gets into the passing lanes. I still think his body makes him more of a 4 than a 5 and he bites to hard on pump fakes, but I like the kid more than I did at the start of the season.

The rest (Goodwin, Poythress, and Cauley-Stien). Goodwin just is out of control to often for me to enjoy watching him play. Poythress just seems to disappear for stretches like Jones did last year but you can still see the potential. Cauley-Stien is just raw. Not gonna knock him or Noel for their struggles in the post since both Young and Murphy were just so much bigger physically that they shouldn't have been able to consistently get position down low.

Hope Noel is ok.

Michigan vs Michigan State -

Not much for me to say anymore on the Michigan side. The Burke-McGary pick&roll is looking better, especially when McGary is making his jump shots. Glen Robinson's fear/inability to dribble the ball kills him in games like this where open spot up jumpers, and transition scores are harder to come by.

I'm glad Branden Dawson doesn't seem to have missed a step since his ACL surgery. Really needs to fix his shot (from everywhere). Love his rebounding and defense.

Gary Harris is alil skinny and needs more strength to fight through screens. But he's more aggressive/effective defensively than I thought he'd be.

Need to watch Denzel Valentine more. 6-5 former pg turned shooting guard. Rebounded really well this game, and rebounds well overall for a guard (4 boards in 21 mins per game).

What a great win for Sparty last night... YES!!!

To their pro prospects: Neither of those guys is pro ready just yet and from all of them the lone star potential propably has Harris. He is the best freshman in the Big Ten and is playing all year on a bum shoulder which basically limits him to be more of a shooter than a driver. When he adds strength next year and gets healthy, watch out. Incredibly tough mentally and a great defender.
Dawson's size, strength and athletisism are all well above average even by NBA standards. Due to him rehabbing a torn ACL in the summer his game hasnt developed as much as you would like. His problems right now are ball handling and long range shooting (midrange is coming around) but he would do very well honing these skills for another year. He might enter early only because of the injury scare last year and because he is a father for 3 years now.
Payne has an issue with his lungs (small lung capacity) but should be a very good rotation big in the pros if he can handle the 82 game season. Good shot blocker, extremely athletic and a deadly shooter from midrange and even from three this year. Needs some more muscle mass aswell.
Valentine is a very interesting player. Not really put into a position yet but just a very natural leader and ballhandler. Does everything on the court without wowing you with athletisism or speed. Incredible passer and a great mindset, once he is done in East Lansing I could see him being a true Spartan great.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#188 » by BRIGGS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Two guys who are very under rated this year are Kelly Olynyck from Gonzaga(I think he and Mclemore are the number 1 players) and Nate Wolters as a PG.

Zeller and Plumlee are all top 5 picks.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#189 » by BRIGGS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Two guys who are very under rated this year are Kelly Olynyck from Gonzaga(I think he and Mclemore are the number 1 players) and Nate Wolters as a PG.

Zeller and Plumlee are all top 5 picks.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#190 » by StephNYKurry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Thoughts on Shane Larkin...would love him to be the backup PG for a year or two before Felton's contract expires.
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Larkin is a little bit on the small side which absolutely limits his ceiling but he is a good player nonetheless. Very fast, good scorer and has a good head on his shoulders.

The fact that Cody Zeller is considered by many as a top five choice tells us how weak this class is. Plumlee is another player without any star potential and you do not select such players in the top ten.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#192 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:04 pm

StephNYKurry wrote:Thoughts on Shane Larkin...would love him to be the backup PG for a year or two before Felton's contract expires.

Was pretty impressed with him in the win against FSU. Attacked the basket. Hit tough shots when they needed him most. Always in control. Smart. Fast. But like Mo said, a bit on the small side. He's listed at 5'11" but he actually seems a little shorter than that TBH. While he looks like he has some nice athleticism, it's not at the Nate Robinson level which will kinda hurt him some as he seems to be more offensive minded than true point. But it's always good to have the athletic pedigree (as they said, players that have grown up around knowing what it takes to excel in professional sports...his dad is the former Red SS Barry Larkin...gives players a one up).

Speaking of that game, what the heck with Michael Ojo (FSU). First time watching him and...holy mother cow...that's is one gigantic, athletic, muscle-bound monster of a player. Jeezus. They list his wingspan as 7'8" but honestly that's being conservative IMO. It's got to be at least a few inches longer, especially considering those tennis rackets he has for hands. And he's build like a 7'1" linebacker (290lbs of muscle). Lordy, lordy. They were saying that they prohibit him from dunking during practice in fear that he'd break rims and backboards.

Sure he may have no experience (believe he's only played organized basketball for 2 years?) but man talk about having a body for the NBA...and he's by no means lumbering. He's supposedly absorbing what the coaching staff is teaching him like a sponge. In a couple years...watch out.

Imagine...this mofo as a 7'1" and 290lbs player...

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:Larkin is a little bit on the small side which absolutely limits his ceiling but he is a good player nonetheless. Very fast, good scorer and has a good head on his shoulders.

The fact that Cody Zeller is considered by many as a top five choice tells us how weak this class is. Plumlee is another player without any star potential and you do not select such players in the top ten.

Yeah, this is draft is not likely to produce any top stars. None of the bunch of Noel, McClemore, Muhammad, Zeller, Len, etc. strike me as star players. One or more might make an All-Star appearance but, honestly, none of them have the same impact potential as the top picks from previous drafts. Marcus Smart might end up being the most productive out of the bunch TBH.

Where this draft potentially has some push is late 1st into the early 2nd rounds with guys that could become good role players...and perhaps a couple guys that could blossom but is otherwise raw right now. Not bad news for the Knicks.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#194 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:46 pm

I really the potential of Austin and Gobert if they continue to develop. Both can really develop into defensive nightmares. I do believe that Goodwin will be a better NBA player than he is right now, lot to like about him. Saric has an interesting game, though he really needs to work on his shooting.

Like always, I like this draft a lot more than some of the doomsday projections given by some analysts.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:Yeah, this is draft is not likely to produce any top stars. None of the bunch of Noel, McClemore, Muhammad, Zeller, Len, etc. strike me as star players. One or more might make an All-Star appearance but, honestly, none of them have the same impact potential as the top picks from previous drafts. Marcus Smart might end up being the most productive out of the bunch TBH.

Where this draft potentially has some push is late 1st into the early 2nd rounds with guys that could become good role players...and perhaps a couple guys that could blossom but is otherwise raw right now. Not bad news for the Knicks.

Good call, I think he and Anthony Bennett from UNLV have the highest ceiling right now. I really like Noel, he is much closer to Anthony Davis than many people realize but they underestimate him because his team does not have as much success. Not saying he is as good but he should do very very well in the NBA and I could see him one day having a Tyson Chandler type impact on defense with maybe little better offense.

McLemore is a lights out shooter and very fluid athlete but he has to show more in terms of going one on one because that what separates role players from impact players in the NBA. Agreed absolutely on the prospects in the later first/early second. Teams will reach for potential overlooking some solid prospects and in the end there is still a big talent pool out there.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Yeah, this is draft is not likely to produce any top stars. None of the bunch of Noel, McClemore, Muhammad, Zeller, Len, etc. strike me as star players. One or more might make an All-Star appearance but, honestly, none of them have the same impact potential as the top picks from previous drafts. Marcus Smart might end up being the most productive out of the bunch TBH.

Good call, I think he and Anthony Bennett from UNLV have the highest ceiling right now. I really like Noel, he is much closer to Anthony Davis than many people realize but they underestimate him because his team does not have as much success. Not saying he is as good but he should do very very well in the NBA and I could see him one day having a Tyson Chandler type impact on defense with maybe little better offense.

McLemore is a lights out shooter and very fluid athlete but he has to show more in terms of going one on one because that what separates role players from impact players in the NBA. Agreed absolutely on the prospects in the later first/early second. Teams will reach for potential overlooking some solid prospects and in the end there is still a big talent pool out there.

Yeah Anthony Bennet is pretty impressive and is the one guy that, if he can get his head straight, can be the best of the class.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#197 » by yaboynyp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 am

One could make a strong argument for MCW having the most upside honestly.. 6’6 and with his passing and athleticism he could be a problem at PG.. Obviously his shooting isn’t elite but that’s probably the easiest skill to improve in the pro's
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Keep an eye on Johnny O'Bryant from LSU... strong big with a great skillset, true post player and is really putting in some work this season...
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by moocow007 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 am

Would be cool if the Knicks can maybe acquire another late 1st and a 2nd and end up with Deng, Nash and Russ Smith.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#200 » by No-Man » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 am

I want Reggie Bullock with our pick.

Great shooter, great defender, good rebounder, 6'6 can play SG and SF, high character kid.

He would fit right in.

Return to New York Knicks