ImageImageImageImageImage

Old article on Coach Woody from ATL

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

No35
Sixth Man
And1: 613

Old article on Coach Woody from ATL 

Post#1 » by No35 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I posted this last year over here, but it needs to be re-iterated. It's following a disturbing pattern.

No35 wrote:Potato head was stubborn enough to get fired for hating Jeff Teague to the bench and isoing Joe Johnson into the ground.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2009/2/9/ ... st-my-mind

From the Article

Unless I have lost my mind, I think I can say Mike Woodson has lost his.

By hawksdawgs on Feb 9, 12:03p

All that is to preface, I think this quote is one of the biggest indictments against what he is dong as coach and maybe even what the organization deems important.

"He could have been sick and didn’t realize it because he had a lethargic look about him," Woodson said. "So he could have been. And I was steady wearing him out and wearing him down with minutes.

"But my whole thing with the minutes and everybody talking about him playing too many, I was just trying to push for him to make that All-Star team. Because that to me, was extremely important for Joe, for our team and for our entire organization."

Are you serious? We have worn down our best player so the Hawks are represented in the all star game? We have taken away touches for Al Horford in the post so our best player can play one on five in the same area? We are more worried about one player making a meaningless team so that he can play in a meaningless game than we are winning actual games? Is Woodson that far out of touch with reality? I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

We're seeing the same old crap, wearing down starters with heavy minutes to the point where the whole team starts flagging, to be burned in the postseason.
JoseChinga
Banned User
And1: 23

Re: Old article on Coach Woody from ATL 

Post#2 » by JoseChinga » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Knicks were a better team when Brewer had a bigger role.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,917

Post#3 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

JoseChinga wrote:Knicks were a better team when Brewer was making shots.

fixed
No35
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by No35 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm

It isn't about who is or isn't making shots.

You can't play your star player 40+ minutes on average in 2013 and expect him to maintain his level of performance. Melo's worn out? No ****, sherlock.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#5 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Woody deserves some heat, but its definitely not all on him. This team is flawed and just not elite. The players deserve just as much blame and management deserves some blame for the recent slide.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,908

Post#6 » by sol537 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

It's obvious now... Woodson must want JR to make the 2014 all-star game.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#7 » by Sark » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Pretty fitting. Looks like he is wearing down Melo so that he can get his scoring title. Because that is important for him, the team, and the entire organization.
JoseChinga
Banned User

Post#8 » by JoseChinga » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 pm

NYKinMIA wrote:

fixed

It wasn't about Brewer's offense, didn't even average 10 ppg, his offense was irrelevant from the get-go.

Brewer's perimeter defense keep the Knicks a dominant team defensively, especially since Chandler played poor defense in the beginning of the season, Brewer was our defensive anchor. Watch the first 20 games of the season and realize this.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#9 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I really think this overworking players is just poor fan logic.

When the Heat lose Lebron plays 41 minutes in those loses on average.....38 in wins.

Durant as well.

I'm not comparing skillset but if your telling me your star player is tired from playing 38 minutes in wins and 41 in a loss, then that's not a coaching problem.

Melo is worn out? Nah.

Kidd is worn out, but this is what Kidd wants, he wants to play.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#10 » by JustaKnickFan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 pm

JoseChinga wrote:
NYKinMIA wrote:

fixed

It wasn't about Brewer's offense, didn't even average 10 ppg, his offense was irrelevant from the get-go.

Brewer's perimeter defense keep the Knicks a dominant team defensively, especially since Chandler played poor defense in the beginning of the season, Brewer was our defensive anchor. Watch the first 20 games of the season and realize this.

Meh, this is more of Shumpert being that bad of a replacement rather than Brewer being that good of a defensive player. Brewer really struggled, even on defense. He never really recovered from his knee surgery. It looked like he lost a step, watching him out there.

Shumpert too, lost a step and it's even worse for him since he's playing out of position. Basically Knicks were screwed with whoever they were starting.
No35
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by No35 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Melo is worn out? Nah.

Month MP FG% PPG
Nov 35.3 .469 26.1
Dec 37.8 .478 32.6
Jan 41.0 .420 30.3
Feb 39.0 .409 24.6

Obviously
JoseChinga
Banned User

Post#12 » by JoseChinga » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:I really think this overworking players is just poor fan logic.

When the Heat lose Lebron plays 41 minutes in those loses on average.....38 in wins.

Durant as well.

I'm not comparing skillset but if your telling me your star player is tired from playing 38 minutes in wins and 41 in a loss, then that's not a coaching problem.

Melo is worn out? Nah.

To me, it's a players responsibility to be conditioned enough to avoid being worn out. Melo was fasting himself previous, which is insane because you need food for fuel and energy, at the same time Melo also had to play at the All Star game which he scored 27 points.

but it's on Woodson for holding players accountable for not playing defense, rebounding, and over-dribbling. Woodson just doesn't have a strict policy to change the players behavior, he's an average coach; good relationship with the players but I don't think he's capable of changing behaviors or enforcing defense, rebounding and ball movement to an elite level...Woodson just lets Jr Smith or Melo do whatever they want on the floor, which Smith and Anthony are good at; but is it going to lead us to victories?

I liked how Knicks were in the beginning of the season, less one on one, fast ball movement and a lot of feet moving and shuffling on defense.

We don't play like that no more.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#13 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 pm

It's not really surprising that Woodson is disappointing. His hiring was not based on merit. He was brought in because he's friends with Grunnie and Isaiah.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:33 pm

No35 wrote:
Melo is worn out? Nah.

Month MP FG% PPG
Nov 35.3 .469 26.1
Dec 37.8 .478 32.6
Jan 41.0 .420 30.3
Feb 39.0 .409 24.6

Obviously

All that means is that his game leveled off, to his true averages....44% from the field...... he is playing the same minutes that other mvp type players are playing.

He is playing out of position, but hoinestly i think he wants that.

Look at the overall numbers......38 in wins....41 in losses.

February is the lowest on average in minutes he's played so far this year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony

This wearing him out isn't minutes related.

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#15 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Its the first game back from the allstar break. They should be well rested. If they are worn out now might as well start tanking.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#16 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I dont think last nights loss had much to do with player's being worn out or coaching

we came out cold and they came out hot

when we got down they piled on
the refs sucked
we lost our cool
we got beat down country boy style

end of story

lets hope this team bounces back and gets some revenge vs the craptors - who are playing well - and shows some heart
JoseChinga
Banned User

Post#17 » by JoseChinga » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 pm

JustaKnickFan wrote:Meh, this is more of Shumpert being that bad of a replacement rather than Brewer being that good of a defensive player. Brewer really struggled, even on defense. He never really recovered from his knee surgery. It looked like he lost a step, watching him out there.

Shumpert too, lost a step and it's even worse for him since he's playing out of position. Basically Knicks were screwed with whoever they were starting.

Brewer played great defense in the first quarter of the year.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm

JoseChinga wrote:
JustaKnickFan wrote:Meh, this is more of Shumpert being that bad of a replacement rather than Brewer being that good of a defensive player. Brewer really struggled, even on defense. He never really recovered from his knee surgery. It looked like he lost a step, watching him out there.

He was good, wont say great, but Brewer was hitting career highs in shot percentages early on, especially from three.

This team thrives off of their made shots....it's backwards logic for a team, but very true.

DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,612

Post#19 » by DE FENSE » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 pm

Woodson needs to expand his rotation like it was at the start of the season. There's no reason why Brewer and White can't get any burn most games. Might as well run KT into the ground too since we are so thin up front. All eyes are on Woodson and he must make adjustments or this season will become lost very quickly.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,917

Post#20 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
JoseChinga wrote:

He was good, wont say great, but Brewer was hitting career highs in shot percentages early on, especially from three.

This team thrives off of their made shots....it's backwards logic for a team, but very true.

Right. Brew was making the shots they dared him, and are now daring Shump to take. When they were/are falling, the team thrives, can't pack the paint against us as much...all that good stuff.

Return to New York Knicks